Author Topic: Supergirl  (Read 4564 times)

Supergirl
« on: October 26, 2015, 04:52:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Premier is tonight.  It has actually been getting pretty darn good reviews.  Same team that makes the Flash and Arrow on the CW, so it should be of a similar formula.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Supergirl
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 05:00:03 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
just wondering, will any of them appear in future justice league movies? I assume DC want to follow the Marvel model with all those avenger movies and stand alones

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 05:05:31 PM »

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
Personally I think they did way to many cliches. The way they had her save a plane. Her enemies are from the prison that has no time. she gets a police scanner. she works on her out fit. it reminded me of superego. This tv show has a lot of money in it so I know it will get better. The acting was good. Hire a new writer.
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 05:08:38 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
just wondering, will any of them appear in future justice league movies? I assume DC want to follow the Marvel model with all those avenger movies and stand alones
Nope.  For some reason the DC has separated the television and movie universes.  I would think that the Arrow and Flash teams may show up at some point (even if they are different networks), but they won't be in the movies.  Heck Arrow has Constantine doing a guest spot this season even though that show as cancelled by NBC.

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 05:11:59 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Unlike marvel that connects all their television and movie properties, Warner Bros/DC comics have a mess.

Tv world and movie worlds are separate.   You'll see a different flash and different arrow in the movies, unfortunately.

Arrow and Flash Tv shows are connected.

"Gotham", which I hear is kinda weak, is completely separate from everything.

It's my understanding that super girl will be separate from everything as well, but maybe it's connected to arrow and flash.

I gotta say I watched the first couple seasons of "Arrow" and kind of enjoyed it.  It's not great. It has obvious flaws and got a bit boring.  The female lead almost ruins the show for me... She all kinds of awful.  It rips off batman begins in many ways, but it's a nice guilty pleasure show.

I just finished watching the first season of "Flash" and gotta say I enjoyed it more than "Arrow". I liked the characters more.  It's nerdier.  It might be the most comic-book show I've ever watched.  It has tons of obscure characters, time travel, alt dimensions... I dig it.  Again, not a great show, but for what it is, I've found it consistently entertaining so far.   I was never a big fan of the Flash character, but I have to wonder how hardcore comic fans feel about it.  Seems every week they have another character on there... My guess is fans of the character love it.

I loved superman as a kid. I have almost no interest in super girl.  I'm familiar with the actress for Internet reasons, but beyond that... It will need amazing reviews to peak my interest.

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 05:17:22 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Unlike marvel that connects all their television and movie properties, Warner Bros/DC comics have a mess.

Tv world and movie worlds are separate.   You'll see a different flash and different arrow in the movies, unfortunately.

It's my understanding that super girl will be separate from everything as well, but maybe it's connected to arrow and flash.

I gotta say I watched the first couple seasons of "Arrow" and kind of enjoyed it.  It's not great. It has obvious flaws and got a bit boring.  The female lead almost ruins the show for me... She all kinds of awful.  It rips off batman begins in many ways, but it's a nice guilty pleasure show.

I just finished watching the first season of "Flash" and gotta say I enjoyed it more than "Arrow". I liked the characters more.  It's nerdier.  It might be the most comic-book show I've ever watched.  It has tons of obscure characters, time travel, alt dimensions... I dig it.  Again, not a great show, but for what it is, I've found it consistently entertaining so far.
I can say that both shows have gotten better, especially in this current season. The tie ins in flash with its original cannon is at an all time high(episode 2). And the black canary girl got a bit less annoying as well. I also like AOS.

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 05:23:27 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I just finished watching the first season of "Flash" and gotta say I enjoyed it more than "Arrow". I liked the characters more.  It's nerdier.  It might be the most comic-book show I've ever watched.  It has tons of obscure characters, time travel, alt dimensions... I dig it.  Again, not a great show, but for what it is, I've found it consistently entertaining so far.
I can say that both shows have gotten better, especially in this current season. The tie ins in flash with its original cannon is at an all time high(episode 2). And the black canary girl got a bit less annoying as well. I also like AOS.
I need to catch up a little on AOS. I watched about a season and a half so far.  I like that it ties in with the marvel movies (I've seen all of them), but the show hasn't gripped me much in season 2.

Daredevil on Netflix (also part of marvel movie universe) was pretty darn good and probably the best of all the comic book tv shows.  My girlfriend watches all these shows with me.  I asked her what her favorites were and she said "flash" #1 and "daredevil" #2.   I hope flash stays entertaining in season 2.

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 05:29:25 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17

I need to catch up a little on AOS. I watched about a season and a half so far.  I like that it ties in with the marvel movies (I've seen all of them), but the show hasn't gripped me much in season 2.

Daredevil on Netflix (also part of marvel movie universe) was pretty darn good and probably the best of all the comic book tv shows.  My girlfriend watches all these shows with me.  I asked her what her favorites were and she said "flash" #1 and "daredevil" #2.   I hope flash stays entertaining in season 2.
AOS I feel gets better tenfold in the second half of season 2. In terms of daredevil, I keep forgetting it exists in the realm of a TV show; in my mind it is a giant movie, as for at the rate that I finished watching the season.
I wouldnt be able to make a definitive ranking on these shows, at different points throughout the season, anyone of them has the ability to one-up the others.

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 06:55:48 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

I just finished watching the first season of "Flash" and gotta say I enjoyed it more than "Arrow". I liked the characters more.  It's nerdier.  It might be the most comic-book show I've ever watched.  It has tons of obscure characters, time travel, alt dimensions... I dig it.  Again, not a great show, but for what it is, I've found it consistently entertaining so far.   I was never a big fan of the Flash character, but I have to wonder how hardcore comic fans feel about it.  Seems every week they have another character on there... My guess is fans of the character love it.

I loved superman as a kid. I have almost no interest in super girl.  I'm familiar with the actress for Internet reasons, but beyond that... It will need amazing reviews to peak my interest.
I watched the first 3 seasons of Arrow, which I enjoyed. I watched some of the first season of Flash, which I felt was okay, but I had already tired of Arrow by that point and Flash felt like more of the same.

Arrow suffered from the problem of being a lesser superhero such that non-comic people like me have nothing to anticipate because we don't know his story or arch-enemies. His back story got old quick so either they needed to write some captivating stories, or I had nothing left to look forward to. The story lines stopped having a sense of progression, so I got bored. I think the main problem is that it is centered on a single character, and he stopped being interesting. I suspect that their lower budget limited their options too.

Gotham, on the other hand, is amazing. Many great performances. Penguin is the best character on any superhero TV show I've seen. Set pieces look great. First season was great, second is better. On a different level. The conceit is also brilliant. We know what Gotham becomes, so it is exciting to see the developments that made it into the world we know from Batman. Also, everyone knows The Riddler and The Joker, so it is a lot of fun to see proto-Riddler and pre-Joker.

I'll check out Supergirl. I'm not familiar with the actress, but I didn't know the actors in Arrow or the main actor in Gotham, so that doesn't matter to me.

I also enjoy Agents of S.h.i.e.l.d., but it is a bit cornball at times. Too much going on. Mostly unconvincing character development. Writing isn't as weak as the garbage scripts in Heroes (which I still watch), but the stories often seem ridiculous. Maybe they would be more interesting if I was familiar with the larger Avengers universe and if I had heard of 'inhumans' before. Without a familiarity with the Marvel Universe, the stories feel excessively convoluted, as if the writers are letting their imaginations get a bit too carried away.

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 07:04:02 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
They completely destroyed the character of Jimmy Olsen. I watched the pilot that leaked about 5 months ago, it was... fun at least, it had some good energy. But I really can't accept some of the changes like how they changed Jimmy Olsen unnecessarily.

Not to hijack the thread, but the series I'm incredibly pumped for is Jessica Jones. Pure awesomeness coming our way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWHUjuJ8zxE

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 10:35:20 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I watched the first 3 seasons of Arrow, which I enjoyed. I watched some of the first season of Flash, which I felt was okay, but I had already tired of Arrow by that point and Flash felt like more of the same.

Arrow suffered from the problem of being a lesser superhero such that non-comic people like me have nothing to anticipate because we don't know his story or arch-enemies. His back story got old quick so either they needed to write some captivating stories, or I had nothing left to look forward to. The story lines stopped having a sense of progression, so I got bored. I think the main problem is that it is centered on a single character, and he stopped being interesting. I suspect that their lower budget limited their options too.

Gotham, on the other hand, is amazing. Many great performances. Penguin is the best character on any superhero TV show I've seen. Set pieces look great. First season was great, second is better. On a different level. The conceit is also brilliant. We know what Gotham becomes, so it is exciting to see the developments that made it into the world we know from Batman. Also, everyone knows The Riddler and The Joker, so it is a lot of fun to see proto-Riddler and pre-Joker.

I'll check out Supergirl. I'm not familiar with the actress, but I didn't know the actors in Arrow or the main actor in Gotham, so that doesn't matter to me.

I also enjoy Agents of S.h.i.e.l.d., but it is a bit cornball at times. Too much going on. Mostly unconvincing character development. Writing isn't as weak as the garbage scripts in Heroes (which I still watch), but the stories often seem ridiculous. Maybe they would be more interesting if I was familiar with the larger Avengers universe and if I had heard of 'inhumans' before. Without a familiarity with the Marvel Universe, the stories feel excessively convoluted, as if the writers are letting their imaginations get a bit too carried away.
agree on Gotham.  one of the best shows on TV (particularly non-cable) right now.

watch Flash - kind of hokey but not bad.  similar formula to other shows.  never got into Arrow or AOS.  will give Supergirl a try

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 03:27:47 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

I liked arrow s lot more in the beginning. Flash I thought was ok too. Both now are just a little too cheesy for me. I think the flash to tone fits the marvel kind of lightness and campiness. They do it well. It's just not my taste. Supergirl is just way to cheesy for me.

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 03:30:43 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
I'm glad they kept to separate from movies though. You know they'll never do anything to important on the show because they have to adhere to the films. I'd only like a cross cross if it was on hbo or showtime . I heard daredevil was darker than the marvel movies. I would check that out but the DC movies are enough for me.

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 03:35:43 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
The superman looks like an 80's rich romcom villain that should wear a sweater around his neck too.

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 05:59:44 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I'll be curious to see what they do with Superman (I actually watch Teen Wolf from where the actor is most known).  That said, now that the show is on the CW, they are going to have a super mash up of Supergirl, Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow, and the Flash, which should be a pretty interesting group of 4 episodes making it all work together.