Author Topic: Trade IT4 for a big?  (Read 2362 times)

Re: Trade IT4 for a big?
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 01:02:01 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
You make some good points. But IT is not the best player on the team. That award goes to Smart.

With all due respect, that is not even close to true. 

Smart might be the most promising player on our team in terms of future potential (even that is uncertain) but he most certainly is not the best player on our team right now - not even close.

Right off the top of my head I can rattle off the names of 7 players who are better than Marcus Smart right now:

* Avery Bradley
* Amir Johnson
* David Lee
* Tyler Zeller
* Jared Sullinger
* Isaiah Thomas
* Kelly Olynyk

You could also make a legit case for Even Turner. 

Marcus Smart has not yet done anything to prove he is better than any of the guys I just listed, and it will be up to him this year to prove that he is. 

As far as upside he has the potential to be outstanding - he is up there with Rozer and Sully as the highest upside guys on this roster.   But who he is now and who we hope he one day becomes are two different things.

Back to the original topic no, I absolutely would not trade Isaiah Thomas for a big since we already have about 6 of them, and Thomas is not likely to return us one that is any (or at least much) better than the ones we already have.

If I could trade Thomas and get a significant upgrade at SF then I would consider it, but it would have to be a great deal.  Thomas' role is too important to what this team does.

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 01:15:33 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Why would we trade the guy who's easily our best offensive player, the guy who was the biggest factor in our 24-12 finish and the only guy who can get buckets at will on this team right now, for a big man like Gorgui Dieng.

That's literally insane. You wanna trade our best player, who's only 26 and under an unbelievably good contract for a back-up level C who's the same age? Why?! Cause he's a "rim protector"?

Amir Johnson and Tyler Zeller are our rim protectors and while that may not be ideal, it's certainly serviceable. Between them and Mickey, we certainly won't be last in blocked shots again and our middle of the road defense last year will take a step into the top 10.

IT is a genuine difference maker on offense, you'd have to be crazy to trade him for a guy like Dieng .

I wouldn't trade IT for Dieng, but the fact that IT is our best offensive player is a problem.  I'd love Thomas as a spark off the bench -- Microwave, Eddie House, Hambone Williams.  But at 5'9" he is a liability on the floor and simply cant be the offensive focal point.  If C's can get a PP type scorer, IT would be a great rotation player on this team. But as the top scorer, it's (double-entendre) a recipe for continued offensive mediocrity.

You say that Thomas is a liability on the floor, but his Real-Plus Minus of stats (+1.45) indicates otherwise.  So do the other advanced stats that tell you what happens to our offense when he is on (vs off) the court. 

Thomas is a DEFENSIVE liability, yes.  But what we gain with him on the court offensively adds up to more than what we lose defensively, and hence he is an asset for us. 

I also don't get how you could compare Thomas to Eddie House.  Eddie House was a guy who could do pretty much nothing but shoot spot up threes. Isaiah Thomas is an offensive weapon who can handle the ball, pass the ball, and score in a huge variety of ways. 

Isaiah Thomas' offensive stats (Points Per 36, Points Per FGA, etc) as a Celtic last season rank up in superstar territory, and are right up there with the very best Paul Pierce has ever averaged. He is not just a shooter, he is a scorer.

His impact on this team should not be underestimated.

Also people can criticism him all day long for his defense but the truth is this...how many of the NBA's elite scorers play defense, really?  Carmelo doesn't, Kobe doesn't any more, Lebron does when he feels like it, Rudy Gay doesn't, Blake Griffin doesn't, Derek Rose doesn't...the list goes on.  It's not like IT is the only elite scorer in the NBA who is a liability on defense. 

In fact, there are probably only 4 or 5 guys in this entire league who can score at the same rate as IT while also not being a liability on defense. 

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 04:49:12 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
Depends on which big
But we'll prob not get the same value
Due to dearth of PG and lack of quality bigs

Best to keep Thomas
And if want to trade him
Trade him when cap rises so he's contract is a bigger bargain and more valuable

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2015, 05:01:38 AM »

Offline adam.jones614

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
Dude this is one of the most insane things i've ever read. IT4 is absolutely our best player currently and since coming to Boston has played nothing short of superstar basketball from a scoring perspective. Literally the only trade i'd even consider was something netting an all star or better caliber player in the package. 

The whole convo seems rather pointless right now though since he is the guy Ainge has tried hard to get for a few years and now theres no way he parts with him unless it's some sort of godfather offer.

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2015, 06:41:13 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
That's the thing though - you need to be two-way these days. It's getting harder and harder to hide guys..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.