Author Topic: Andre Drummond won't extend with Pistons - opportunity??  (Read 2600 times)

Re: Andre Drummond won't extend with Pistons - opportunity??
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 11:17:13 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
Sorry guys, but we got Amir Johnson so we could move his contract easily. I hope he finds a role in the Mavs defensive scheme in April, because he is just a stopgap for us.

Let the season play out. His contract is beneficial both ways in moving him or knowing if hes worth resigning. I like him so far

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 11:21:57 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
Sorry guys, but we got Amir Johnson so we could move his contract easily. I hope he finds a role in the Mavs defensive scheme in April, because he is just a stopgap for us.

Let the season play out. His contract is beneficial both ways in moving him or knowing if hes worth resigning. I like him so far
Knowing if he's worth resigning? He's been in the league long enough for us to know what he is - a decent starter but nothing special. I doubt anything is going to change because of the magical green dust here in Boston.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2015, 11:46:46 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Everyone all last season craved for a shot blocker.  I have no clue why anyone is against one of the top rim protectors in the league. No way he available to us and we dont grab um. Also no way Detroit trades him either. YOU WANT DRUMMOND ON YOUR TEAM.  What effective rim protector is anyone expecting to fit in CBS style of play?

Amir Johnson

Which I agree is a good one. But I am mainly referring to a shot blocker when i say "rim protector" so my question is if Drummond doesn't fit then who does? Not many Shot Blockers run the floor, shoot mid ranges, or pass good

Shot blocking and interior defense are not necessarily the same thing though. Shot blocking is just a small portion of 'rim protection'. Amir may not put up huge BLK numbers, but he consistently alters shots and is an obstacle in the paint. When factoring in the necessity of a big in CBS' system to be a decent shooter and willing passer, Amir is likely our best option right now, unless we could get Anthony Davis or bring Chris Webber out of retirement.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 11:57:20 PM by max215 »
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2015, 11:49:59 PM »

• Jayson Tatum

Knowing if he's worth resigning? He's been in the league long enough for us to know what he is - a decent starter but nothing special. I doubt anything is going to change because of the magical green dust here in Boston.

Not the dust but the playing style will  benefit his production. He had 2 play back up big  cuz Toronto really thinks Jonas Valančiūnas got something. On top of the  two Usage heavy guards Plus Louu! Really wasnt the place for him to excel IMO ofcourse

Edit: Also could be a key complimentary piece if we get a big time big man

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2015, 11:54:26 PM »

• Jayson Tatum
Everyone all last season craved for a shot blocker.  I have no clue why anyone is against one of the top rim protectors in the league. No way he available to us and we dont grab um. Also no way Detroit trades him either. YOU WANT DRUMMOND ON YOUR TEAM.  What effective rim protector is anyone expecting to fit in CBS style of play?

Amir Johnson

Which I agree is a good one. But I am mainly referring to a shot blocker when i say "rim protector" so my question is if Drummond doesn't fit then who does? Not many Shot Blockers run the floor, shoot mid ranges, or pass good

Shot blocking and interior defense are not necessarily the same thing though. Shot blocking is just a small portion of 'rim protection'. Amir may not put up huge BLK numbers, but he consistently alters shots and is an obstacle in the paint.

And I agree. But, there are also not many players like Amir johnson either

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2015, 12:32:41 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Imo I think Danny jumps all over this opportunity. Especially with the list of players I listed going the other way.  Most are not in the Celtics future plans.  The picks will be tough to lose but the pistons don't accept the trade without it

If pistons want more or other players I would be hesitant to make the deal

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2015, 12:50:14 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Nay for Detriot. They'd say no b/c they're not getting enough of a return.

Btw, I've read that the decision not to extend Drummond was mutual in an effort to increase the team's cap space for the future

This.

Andre Drummond won't extend with the Pistons . . . so they can add a big piece via free agency next summer to play alongside him.

No story here.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2015, 01:12:14 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
The was i see Andre is him developing a similar game to Deandre. Him choosing not to extend doesn't mean much though, he would still be a RFA, and Detroit would likely match any offer.
I'd love to see him on our team. Good trade idea.

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2015, 02:27:34 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Imo I think Danny jumps all over this opportunity. Especially with the list of players I listed going the other way.  Most are not in the Celtics future plans.  The picks will be tough to lose but the pistons don't accept the trade without it

If pistons want more or other players I would be hesitant to make the deal

problem is it's never happening.
Drummond is staying in Detroit and Stan Van Gundy asked him to delay signing an extension so they could keep $14 million in cap space free before signing him. If he signs now they lose that cap room, but if they add another player before re-signing him, they can then resign Drummond and go over the cap without any tax implications.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2015, 01:02:10 PM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13932244/andre-drummond-decides-not-extend-det

Even though he doesn't ideally fit into CBS offensive spacing system, this guy is no doubt a monster.

10-12 pts and 13-15 pts avg near automatic on a daily game basis.  CBS would just have to adjust his lineup a little to get Drummond to fit.   Outside of money, I just think he is sick of playing in Detroit.

Trade idea (Sullinger, Zeller, Turner and Drummond all signed before traded)

To Pistons:  Sullinger, Zeller, Turner, Young, 2 1st round picks (2015 choice of 1st round pick, 2016 Celtics pick)

To Celtics: Drummond, Ilyasova, Hilliard

Celtics lineup

C- Drummond
PF - Lee
SF - Crowder
SG - AB
PG - Smart

C- Amir
PF- KO/Mickey
SF- Jerebko/Ilyasova
SG- Hunter
PG- IT

yay or nay?

First off your trade won't work even if we resign them all now, because it's based off this years salary.  I do like Andre Drummond but we'd have to offer up a better package and probably take a contract off them. 

If I'm the Piston I'm not taking all the players you offered because I want youth with cheap contracts and picks.  I'm thinking the trade would be closer to this.

Pistons
Drummond
Jennings

Celtics
Zeller (If we sign him longer)
Olynyk
Young
Rozier
2 1st rounders.