Author Topic: Who may become or is a disgruntled star we could trade for soon?  (Read 25975 times)

Re: Who may become or is a disgruntled star we could trade for soon?
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2015, 02:07:41 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Yeah but would Philly even want to trade Okafor or Noel? Couldn't they just try to get a better 1 2 an 3 and be a winning team next year?

I think that's probably what they'll do.  Maybe they'll balk at signing Noel to a big deal though -- if they're not sure he's a star / a good fit with Okafor.

Still, I think the most likely scenario is what you describe.  They stick with Noel and Okafor for at least another year or two and try to put actual starting caliber talents next to them at the 1, 2, and 3, and continue to develop role players who can help them off the bench.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2015, 02:18:35 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
No one is saying it, but I will.

DeMarcus Cousins.

It could be very volatile in Sacramento, and once it goes crazy there, we could swoop in.

We have the great contracts in Lee or Amir Johnson, draft picks, solid role players in Tyler Zeller, Evan Turner, Jonas Jerebko, Avery Bradely, along with young guys in RJ Hunter, Kelly Olynyk, Jared Sullinger, Terry Rozier.

So, David Lee/Amir Johnson (although I want to keep Amir, him and Cousins would do great together), the Dallas pick, our own (any year), a couple of 2nds, Evan Turner, Kelly Olynyk and RJ Hunter is a great package to offer Sacramento once DMC says he wants out.

Not really a high asset in that. Hard to do quantity for quality.

Two quality bigs who can still play and offer a lot offensively or defensively, while both being expiring so they could move on right away if they didn't work. They can have either one.

Two first round picks, one being in a potential top 12.

A big who can solve their spacing issues and at worst, is a rotational player. A player on is 20's who also can put numbers. And a high value kid who can be one of the best shooters in the league at best, and a Marco Bellineli type at the minimum.

I mean we could add more to that, but I think that's a solid starting point for a DMC negotiation.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2015, 02:31:51 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Yeah but would Philly even want to trade Okafor or Noel? Couldn't they just try to get a better 1 2 an 3 and be a winning team next year?

I think that's probably what they'll do.  Maybe they'll balk at signing Noel to a big deal though -- if they're not sure he's a star / a good fit with Okafor.

Still, I think the most likely scenario is what you describe.  They stick with Noel and Okafor for at least another year or two and try to put actual starting caliber talents next to them at the 1, 2, and 3, and continue to develop role players who can help them off the bench.
oh they can try.  they'll fail if they try, but they might try.

it's not like good FA's are going to be looking at Philly as a prime landing spot regardless of how much $ Philly may offer.  anyone who's really starting caliber will be looking at other teams who will have a bunch of cap room and aren't in the mess that Philly's in. 

« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2015, 07:03:02 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Yeah DMC makes the most sense right now. Lee, 2 Nets picks and 1 Dallas pick for Big Cuz is probably a lot more realistic.

DMC/Zeller
Amir/Sully/KO
Crowder/Turner/JJ
AB/IT
Smart/Rozier

« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2015, 02:46:10 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Not necessarily soon, but imagine if Durant leaves OKC next summer and Westbrook lets it be known that if KD is gone, then he will be gone, and Ainge gives up Smart and multiple firsts for a rental of Westbrook and a year to convince him to stay in Boston.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2015, 02:46:21 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Yeah DMC makes the most sense right now. Lee, 2 Nets picks and 1 Dallas pick for Big Cuz is probably a lot more realistic.

DMC/Zeller
Amir/Sully/KO
Crowder/Turner/JJ
AB/IT
Smart/Rozier
The way the Nets are playing it probably will be a great pick.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2015, 02:53:52 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Maybe PaulGeorge. Pacers look horrible

« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2015, 03:04:28 PM »

Offline The_Truth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 28
Maybe PaulGeorge. Pacers look horrible

May God listen to you

« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2015, 04:47:08 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I think it's time to put Bradley Beal in this conversation.

He is playing out of his mind and doesn't seem to have any interest or care with the discussions to bring Kevin Durant to Washington. His talent is clear and seems like the confident type that would rather play as the top dog scorer than being 3rd option to Wall and KD. For Washington, they may have to make this decision to keep/trade Beal eventually and Boston is asset-loaded for this type of move.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2015, 04:26:08 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

DMC/Zeller
Amir/Sully/KO
Crowder/Turner/JJ
AB/IT
Smart/Rozier
The are having a players only meeting soon. DMC looks like he wants something to break. Loving every minute of it. Every day our coach is the coach everyone wants to play for and we have 3 nets picks and they suck and will suck.
Thaddeus Young for a 2nd round pick. Billy King is that stupid.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2015, 04:28:42 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I think it's time to put Bradley Beal in this conversation.

He is playing out of his mind and doesn't seem to have any interest or care with the discussions to bring Kevin Durant to Washington. His talent is clear and seems like the confident type that would rather play as the top dog scorer than being 3rd option to Wall and KD. For Washington, they may have to make this decision to keep/trade Beal eventually and Boston is asset-loaded for this type of move.

Where's the evidence to support this? I don't see Bradley Beal leaving WAS, considering WAS would be foolish to let him go, especially since shelling out a max for him is a no-brainer at this point.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2015, 04:43:40 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Maybe they'll balk at signing Noel to a big deal though -- if they're not sure he's a star / a good fit with Okafor.

This is a reach. They don't need to be sure he's a star, because he already is one -- full blown. There's no logical reason to trade Noel. His plastic man versatility and high post preference fits just fine with JO.

Two pretty amazing building blocks they have there in Philly.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2015, 05:09:05 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2975
Unless Philly decides to bring in some vets and actually field a NBA to go with their Rookies ,  then I would be very frustrated as a player on that club

If I was Oakfor or Noel I'd want out ......bad
I would want out ASAP......bad situation .......who wants to play where the idea,is too Lose.

That's horrible way to,start your career on a team that the GM is purposely making your team bad.

« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2015, 05:16:36 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

The issue with Philly is that young players, no matter how great, almost never win in the NBA.  I mean, the Thunder had to have Durant AND Westbrook AND Harden.

In the best realistic scenario, Philly will tank this year and still be bad to mediocre for another 2 or three after that even if they're trying to win.  And what if Hinkie decides to keep the tank on?

Mike

« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2015, 06:03:15 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

The issue with Philly is that young players, no matter how great, almost never win in the NBA.  I mean, the Thunder had to have Durant AND Westbrook AND Harden.

In the best realistic scenario, Philly will tank this year and still be bad to mediocre for another 2 or three after that even if they're trying to win.  And what if Hinkie decides to keep the tank on?

Mike

My understanding of Philly's plan is that they'll keep up with the full-on youth movement until they've got a few players in place that they regard as stars, with at least one guy who can be called a "superstar."

Presumably, at that point they'll be willing to consider spending some money on veteran free agents who can help fill out the roster.

It's true that young players rarely win, but if you've got plenty of talent and some veteran leaders plus a decent coach, the wins will come.

That's how it went down for the Thunder, and I think all along the Sixers have been attempting to duplicate what the Thunder did.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain