Author Topic: Who may become or is a disgruntled star we could trade for soon?  (Read 25944 times)

Re: Who may become or is a disgruntled star we could trade for soon?
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2015, 01:56:53 PM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
You guys all missed out on the 2 most attainable: Bradley Beal and Chandler Parsons. May not be All Stars, but neither are Noel and Hayward. Washington wants to preserve the cap for Durant this offseason and if Beal keeps asking for too much while averaging only 14-15 PPG than I think Ainge should jump at that opportunity. I've seen Beal play multiple times and know he would be an amazing fit in CBS offense. He can create with the ball and play off of it.

Actually Beal hasnt gotten his extension yet because the Wiz are trying to have as much cap as possible for KD next yr. Same way Spurs waited till this summer to re-sign Leonard to have enough cap for Aldridge. No way in hell Wiz let Beal walk. He is barely 22 and has already shown way too much potential  for them to let that happen. I mean this would have been akin to Warriors letting Klay Thompson walk last season. No chance in hell that was ever happening

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2015, 02:00:54 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
You guys all missed out on the 2 most attainable: Bradley Beal and Chandler Parsons. May not be All Stars, but neither are Noel and Hayward. Washington wants to preserve the cap for Durant this offseason and if Beal keeps asking for too much while averaging only 14-15 PPG than I think Ainge should jump at that opportunity. I've seen Beal play multiple times and know he would be an amazing fit in CBS offense. He can create with the ball and play off of it.

Second guy is Parsons. Definitely easy to see that Dallas probably isn't going to make the playoffs and I doubt Parsons will be able to carry that team to playoffs singlehandedly with Dirk. Cuban knows that there is no point in paying Parsons 15 mil to just be a good starter. Parsons fits very well because he's versatile with the ability to play the 2, 3, and 4. He is a solid playmaker and definitely can knock it down from outside the arc which is something the Celtics need badly.

I actually think that we could land both these players at the deadline if we work for it, but it really depends how each team plays out individually. Also with Beal I think if they don't give him an extension during the season he becomes a RFA and we could nab him there too.

Beal is one of the essential young players on a team that's on the rise. I can't fathom why you think the Wizards would look to trade him, and it's even harder for me to guess what they would ask in return from us in a deal.

Why did this occur to you, aside from having seen Beal play and thinking he would be good on the Celtics? Why do you see him as being more gettable than, say, his classmates like Anthony Davis, Damian Lillard, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, etc?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 03:00:09 PM by sofutomygaha »

« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2015, 02:51:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
The thing about all these trades is I'm fairly confident that Boston will not be able to put together a better package than Philadelphia because Philly has multiple high value players AND multiple high value picks.  So say Cousins does in fact come on the market, Boston can't top a package of Okafor, LA 1st, Philly 1st (just as an example).  No amount of future unknown draft picks is going to overcome that sort of offer.  In fact, Boston can't top that package for any player.  Now Philly may not be in on every trade and may not put that sort of offer out there, but there is no way Boston can put together a better offer than Philly for any player that Philly actually wants and that would come on the market during the season.  None at all.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2015, 03:19:37 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
The thing about all these trades is I'm fairly confident that Boston will not be able to put together a better package than Philadelphia because Philly has multiple high value players AND multiple high value picks.  So say Cousins does in fact come on the market, Boston can't top a package of Okafor, LA 1st, Philly 1st (just as an example).  No amount of future unknown draft picks is going to overcome that sort of offer.  In fact, Boston can't top that package for any player.  Now Philly may not be in on every trade and may not put that sort of offer out there, but there is no way Boston can put together a better offer than Philly for any player that Philly actually wants and that would come on the market during the season.  None at all.

You ignore the fact that pretty much no quality player would want to go there due to their culture of losing. Their reputation is totally soured around the league. Look at the Love situation - he had quite a bit of "say" where he went, and the same will hold of other stars on expiring or soon to be expiring deals. And even non-expiring deals, like Cousins, will be hard for them to attract, because no player in their right mind wants to go to Philly right now.

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2015, 03:42:19 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

Of course not Moranis.  We simply CANNOT compete with Philly:-))  Danny needs to just quit while he is ahead as Hinkie has made him his binky:-)))  Hilarious.

Smitty77

« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2015, 04:00:25 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I think it's unlikely Philly is willing to trade for Cousins after Cousins' agent tells them he would rather sit out than play for them. The best assets are only one part of the deal, a player's willingness to play for that team matters.

Philly has already angered agents around the league with their practices, and agents/players do actually have input in where they are dealt.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2015, 04:25:18 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff

You ignore the fact that pretty much no quality player would want to go there due to their culture of losing. Their reputation is totally soured around the league. Look at the Love situation - he had quite a bit of "say" where he went, and the same will hold of other stars on expiring or soon to be expiring deals. And even non-expiring deals, like Cousins, will be hard for them to attract, because no player in their right mind wants to go to Philly right now.

These are great points, and you're both right to an extent. Philly can trump and offer, but their position is weakened by the fact that no star would want to play there.

It wouldn't be impossible or unprecedented, though, for Philly to orchestrate a whole package of acquisitions in order to have a star player consent to a trade and/or resign with them. No star wants to go team up with the rookies and nobodies in Philly, but suppose they brought in some foundational guys first, or they worked an angle with a few stars simultaneously.

« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2015, 04:44:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

These are great points, and you're both right to an extent. Philly can trump and offer, but their position is weakened by the fact that no star would want to play there.

It wouldn't be impossible or unprecedented, though, for Philly to orchestrate a whole package of acquisitions in order to have a star player consent to a trade and/or resign with them. No star wants to go team up with the rookies and nobodies in Philly, but suppose they brought in some foundational guys first, or they worked an angle with a few stars simultaneously.
You can say no star will play there, but is a guy like Cousins really going to sit out and not play and not collect a pay check.  I don't think so.  Cousins also has made it clear he wants to play next to a defensive whiz, Philly just happens to have one of those, who wouldn't be a part of that trade (since Sacto has its defensive guy and would want Okafor to replace cousins and who would be redundant with Cousins so Philly wouldn't need him). 

I get a star probably won't sign as a free agent in Philly as currently constructed, but trades are vastly different.  Very few players actually have the clout to not report (and even fewer have no trade clauses). 

And for as bad as Philly is right now, they are a gigantic market, on the East Coast, with a long and strong history for winning.  This isn't the Kings. 

« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2015, 04:52:18 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
If you assume that the star in question has zero say in where he goes, then no team could ever possibly trump a Philly offer. They get a new top 3 pick every single year.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2015, 04:53:26 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff

You're not wrong, but there is a third way and we've seen it play out before. Maybe the player gets "injured" and doesn't want to rush back. Maybe the player just straight up dogs it on the court and makes everyone's life hell.

Cousins seems like he's maturing. He's done some crappy things to people on the court but he's no Andrew Bynum.

Still. I wouldn't take the risk of a hostile acquisition with almost any player, least of all Cousins. I wouldn't want him on MY team if he wasn't happy to be there. It could do more harm than good and I'd have to pay a steep price to find out.

« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2015, 04:58:15 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

You can say no star will play there, but is a guy like Cousins really going to sit out and not play and not collect a pay check.  I don't think so.  Cousins also has made it clear he wants to play next to a defensive whiz, Philly just happens to have one of those, who wouldn't be a part of that trade (since Sacto has its defensive guy and would want Okafor to replace cousins and who would be redundant with Cousins so Philly wouldn't need him). 

I get a star probably won't sign as a free agent in Philly as currently constructed, but trades are vastly different.  Very few players actually have the clout to not report (and even fewer have no trade clauses). 

And for as bad as Philly is right now, they are a gigantic market, on the East Coast, with a long and strong history for winning.  This isn't the Kings.
My opinion is that while you are correct that few have the clout to not report, the reason this isn't more common is that trades don't get completed if the player has no interest in the final destination. Thus, a lot of trades get squashed behind closed doors well before they would have been completed.

While I know your idea of Philly being able to outbid us applies to other players, I honestly don't think in this case Cousins even gets traded. I think Sacramento grabs the last playoff spot in the west and that is enough to appease him.

As to having a history of winning, the last time they had a really good team a lot of the star players now were in diapers. I don't think their history matters to younger players anymore than ours does.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2015, 05:15:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

My opinion is that while you are correct that few have the clout to not report, the reason this isn't more common is that trades don't get completed if the player has no interest in the final destination. Thus, a lot of trades get squashed behind closed doors well before they would have been completed.

While I know your idea of Philly being able to outbid us applies to other players, I honestly don't think in this case Cousins even gets traded. I think Sacramento grabs the last playoff spot in the west and that is enough to appease him.

As to having a history of winning, the last time they had a really good team a lot of the star players now were in diapers. I don't think their history matters to younger players anymore than ours does.
I just used Cousins as an example, because a lot of people think COusins is going to be traded.  Cousins also is a guy with a lot of years left so whether he really wants to be there is less of a factor (since you won't have to re-sign him any time soon, and he can't just hold out for a couple of months and be a free agent). 

I don't think the history matters as much to the players, but it does to the owner, the city, etc.  Philly will pay for a winner, because they always pay for winners.  And I know they have new ownership, but they seem like the type that would pay for a winner.

Philly also has enough assets that they can get better in trades and still have the assets to trump our offer.  I mean just adding Stauskas and the vet PF's in a salary dump, shows they are making moves in the positive direction.

« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2015, 10:38:30 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Memphis may have to tear down. They looked pitiful last night.
Gasol would be awesome on the Celtics.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2015, 12:24:27 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
Memphis may have to tear down. They looked pitiful last night.
Gasol would be awesome on the Celtics.

I think Memphis is going to be fine. That's a team where, if they had a really bad year, they would just reload with a draft pick and a free agent and climb right back into it.

On the other hand, if they missed the playoffs and their pick were to end up 6-14 they would have to give it to Denver. That would really suck for them.

« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2015, 02:04:47 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Yeah but would Philly even want to trade Okafor or Noel? Couldn't they just try to get a better 1 2 an 3 and be a winning team next year?