Author Topic: Who may become or is a disgruntled star we could trade for soon?  (Read 25942 times)

Re: Who may become or is a disgruntled star we could trade for soon?
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2015, 03:21:24 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
I would have loved Noah on the Celtics 3 or 4 years ago.  I don't think he has very much left at this point.  He should play an Andrew Bogut role somewhere.  Rebounder, rim protector, passer for about 28 minutes a night.  That's it.

Trading for Nerlens Noel and / or trading up in the draft to select a guy Ainge thinks can be a core piece for the team seems like the most likely way that the Celts will secure their long term core.

Melo I think would have to come after a move for another guy (e.g. Cousins), and I'm just not convinced Cousins is going anywhere anytime soon.  Maybe the Celts will go after Horford next summer, but Atlanta seems like a good place for him.  Kinda hope he stays there with Millsap and Teague.
didn't millsap go to orlando? Or did i just have a really crazy dream about that? Or was he considering them or something?

Edit: ok. Just saw that he was offered 4 years at 80 mil from orlando but reached a deal with the hawks for 3/60.
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2015, 11:50:22 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123

Melo I think would have to come after a move for another guy (e.g. Cousins), and I'm just not convinced Cousins is going anywhere anytime soon. 

Why would Melo have to be the second guy to get? I know he has a no trade clause but the whole idea of trading for him hinges on NY losing and us doing reasonably well before a trade. I get the idea that Melo should go to a team with another star where he can have a good title shot right away, but that may not be doable. As long as we don't sell the farm to get him, we would still have a lot of assets to pair with the contract of Lee or Amir (whomever we don't trade for Melo) and we would be a lot better destination for free agents as we could potentially get a max or near max guy next summer and the one after.

If IT is playing at borderline allstar level, and Lee is having a bounce back year and Melo is really struggling then IT and Lee for Melo would look a lot more balanced than it does now.

It's obviously an outside chance but I think Melo is our most realistic outside chance at getting a superstar this year. We would have a perfect lineup for him with 4 great defenders to play with him: Smart, AB, Melo, Crowder, Amir

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2015, 12:47:13 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I'm not all that interested in Melo.  I would have been a year or two ago, but not now at his age and contract.

Not stars, but young 'potential stars' who I think have a possibility of being dealt and would fit what this team needs would be the already much-mentioned Nerlens Noel and Tobias Harris.

I think that there is a very strong chance that Orlando will try to move Harris or one of their other two young SFs (Gordon or Hezonja).  Harris is now locked up through 2018-19 on what will end up looking like a ridiculously team-friendly contract by the end of it.    Harris and Skiles apparently didn't always get along at Milwaukee and the reunification may or may not go well.  Danny already apparently tried hard to get Harris earlier this summer, so it bears worth watching to see what happens with him.

Harris is eligible to be traded after the mid-December FA vesting date.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2015, 01:41:54 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Gordan Hayward.   

Utah will again be a paper tiger in the west.  GH is a CBS guy, and also a sneaky efficient 1A option.  Would fit in nicely with our bigs, IT.   

AB, sully or Oly, young and a bk pick

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2015, 05:37:09 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Gordan Hayward.   

Utah will again be a paper tiger in the west.  GH is a CBS guy, and also a sneaky efficient 1A option.  Would fit in nicely with our bigs, IT.   

AB, sully or Oly, young and a bk pick

Gordon Hayward ain't no star!
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2015, 07:49:00 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I can honestly see Harris seriously being up for sale.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2015, 08:38:17 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I have been on the Paul George train for a while as I don't see the Pacers ever getting back to where they were a couple years ago where they had West, Hibbert, and Stephenson and a strong defensive team, and they may be stuck as a medicore team at best now for a while.  However George has 3 years left on his team (a player option for a 4th) so I don't see the rush now with the Pacers to move him.  Maybe starting next offseason, and the same thing with Cousins.

I know things can change in a hurry but I don't see any of the big name players being available during this season, or even so it might be someone like Melo which I'm not sure we would even want now.   He is more of a final piece if we are able to land 1 or 2 other stars for a win now mode.  Ainge might be able to get some of the B list stars like Harris, or someone that still has untapped potential like Barnes that can help continue build towards the future.

I think this is a very important season to see how bad the Nets really are and the potential of the next 3 picks we have of theirs, if any of our young players can make the leap (besides Smart as I think he will) to turn themselves into real assets. 

We be taking on a few rookies again next year so I think you could see some moves to consolidate the roster either for future draft picks 2017 and beyond or better players like Harris.   I'm all for continuing to get other teams future drafts too to spread the wealth rooting for teams to be bad, as we root for us to be good.  ;D

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2015, 09:19:25 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
No one is saying it, but I will.

DeMarcus Cousins.

It could be very volatile in Sacramento, and once it goes crazy there, we could swoop in.

We have the great contracts in Lee or Amir Johnson, draft picks, solid role players in Tyler Zeller, Evan Turner, Jonas Jerebko, Avery Bradely, along with young guys in RJ Hunter, Kelly Olynyk, Jared Sullinger, Terry Rozier.

So, David Lee/Amir Johnson (although I want to keep Amir, him and Cousins would do great together), the Dallas pick, our own (any year), a couple of 2nds, Evan Turner, Kelly Olynyk and RJ Hunter is a great package to offer Sacramento once DMC says he wants out.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2015, 12:32:00 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Would be hilarious if Kings demand Rondo go with any trade for Cousins.

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2015, 12:33:01 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Noel is the perfect fit for Celtics

Does he fit in CBS vision of basketball, though?   I get he is a hometown kid and wants to play here.   I think he is skilled on the defensive end and is making strides at offense.

He's been hitting the 15-18 foot shot pretty well. Not automatic, but you don't cringe when he takes the shot. I think Rebounding and shot blocking out weighs a center that can hit the three. But if he can his that shot KG use to hit, roll to the paint and run on the breaks, I think he would fit just fine. Just need to complement him with a PF that can hit the outside shot.

Really?

3-10 feet  28.8%
10-16 feet 30.9%
FT shooting 60.9%

That's pretty cringe worthy. Unless you enjoy his wild running shots, where it looks like he has his eyes closed, for entertainment purposes.

His rebounding is good, but not great. He averaged 8 RPG in 30 MPG, which compares to Sullinger's 7.6 in 27 MPG.

Noel continues to be heavily overrated on this board to the point that I wonder how many have actually seen him play more than just a couple of games.
Those are last years numbers, the implication was strides made this pre-season.

I've seen him play twice and I didn't see any improvement.

It's true that we have to acquire players that fit CBS's system, but agree with the sentiment that he's not so far off offensively and his defensive impact makes him the type of player that you fit in and make it work.

Philly had the 11th best defensive rating last year after being 26th the season before with an otherwise dismal roster. Noel is one of the most accurate and "soft hands" shot blockers in the league with many of them going right into teammates hands igniting the fast break and averaged more steals that many of the league's guards.

Pulled this from an article about how he was arguably snubbed from the all defensive team...

Noel finished 8th in the NBA in defensive rating which measures the amount of points a player allows per 100 possessions. Everyone ahead of Noel on that list made a defensive team with the exception of Rudy Gobert.

Noel also finished 11th in defensive win shares ahead of Davis.

He was also 4th in the league in defensive box plus/minus which is a stat which measures a players impact according to a box score for 100 possessions. For example, 0.0 is the average for the league and +5 would mean a player is five points better than an average player per 100 possessions.

The only players that ranked higher than Noel (4.5) in this stat were Bogut (5.5), Gobert (5.1) and Duncan (4.7). Davis was named second team with a 3.0 and Jordan was first team with a 3.2.
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2015/05/20/despite-strong-season-nerlens-noel-left-off-nba-all-defensive-teams/

If he could be that impactful for Philly, think he'd turn us into a top 5-7 defensive unit overnight.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 12:43:23 PM by Smartacus »

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2015, 02:53:06 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Noel is the perfect fit for Celtics

Does he fit in CBS vision of basketball, though?   I get he is a hometown kid and wants to play here.   I think he is skilled on the defensive end and is making strides at offense.

He's been hitting the 15-18 foot shot pretty well. Not automatic, but you don't cringe when he takes the shot. I think Rebounding and shot blocking out weighs a center that can hit the three. But if he can his that shot KG use to hit, roll to the paint and run on the breaks, I think he would fit just fine. Just need to complement him with a PF that can hit the outside shot.

Really?

3-10 feet  28.8%
10-16 feet 30.9%
FT shooting 60.9%

That's pretty cringe worthy. Unless you enjoy his wild running shots, where it looks like he has his eyes closed, for entertainment purposes.

His rebounding is good, but not great. He averaged 8 RPG in 30 MPG, which compares to Sullinger's 7.6 in 27 MPG.

Noel continues to be heavily overrated on this board to the point that I wonder how many have actually seen him play more than just a couple of games.
Those are last years numbers, the implication was strides made this pre-season.

I've seen him play twice and I didn't see any improvement.

Yeah, his mid-range shot looked pretty cringe worthy yesterday.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2015, 04:06:37 PM »

Offline FreddieJ

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 7
Would be hilarious if Kings demand Rondo go with any trade for Cousins.

Why would they? They didn't bring Rondo in for his fit with Cousins

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2015, 04:13:10 PM »

Offline FreddieJ

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 7
No one is saying it, but I will.

DeMarcus Cousins.

It could be very volatile in Sacramento, and once it goes crazy there, we could swoop in.

We have the great contracts in Lee or Amir Johnson, draft picks, solid role players in Tyler Zeller, Evan Turner, Jonas Jerebko, Avery Bradely, along with young guys in RJ Hunter, Kelly Olynyk, Jared Sullinger, Terry Rozier.

So, David Lee/Amir Johnson (although I want to keep Amir, him and Cousins would do great together), the Dallas pick, our own (any year), a couple of 2nds, Evan Turner, Kelly Olynyk and RJ Hunter is a great package to offer Sacramento once DMC says he wants out.

Not really a high asset in that. Hard to do quantity for quality.

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2015, 04:29:40 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
With the cap ballooning and so many teams able to make a move, this might not be the year of the big star trade. I just don't think so.

The best chance of a major player moving is likely one that's more headache than ability.

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2015, 01:45:57 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
You guys all missed out on the 2 most attainable: Bradley Beal and Chandler Parsons. May not be All Stars, but neither are Noel and Hayward. Washington wants to preserve the cap for Durant this offseason and if Beal keeps asking for too much while averaging only 14-15 PPG than I think Ainge should jump at that opportunity. I've seen Beal play multiple times and know he would be an amazing fit in CBS offense. He can create with the ball and play off of it.

Second guy is Parsons. Definitely easy to see that Dallas probably isn't going to make the playoffs and I doubt Parsons will be able to carry that team to playoffs singlehandedly with Dirk. Cuban knows that there is no point in paying Parsons 15 mil to just be a good starter. Parsons fits very well because he's versatile with the ability to play the 2, 3, and 4. He is a solid playmaker and definitely can knock it down from outside the arc which is something the Celtics need badly.

I actually think that we could land both these players at the deadline if we work for it, but it really depends how each team plays out individually. Also with Beal I think if they don't give him an extension during the season he becomes a RFA and we could nab him there too.