Author Topic: Who may become or is a disgruntled star we could trade for soon?  (Read 25947 times)

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
We talk all the time here on Celtic Blog about getting a star. So who are these Stars we may get?
Most say DeMarcus Cousins, Danilo Gallinari, Carmleo or Rudy Gay. 
Who else do guys see that we may have a chance to add to the Celtics and make us champions.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

Re: Who may become or is a disgruntled star we could trade for soon?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 02:57:04 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Paul George is a nice candidate IMO. Paul George is, simply put, not a 4; he's already expressed displeasure with playing the 4. I think there's a chance that Indiana is terrible AND PG is miserable and Larry decides to just blow it up. PG would certainly be expensive, but a player of his caliber and age is worth any combination of our assets.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 03:04:28 PM by max215 »
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 02:59:00 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
"Star" may be a stretch, but if Nerlens Noel is forced to play out of position at PF for a very, very bad Philadelphia team, he may try to force his way out. [Granted, on a rookie scale contract, he'll have comparatively little leverage to do so.]
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 04:04:06 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Jimmy Butler
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 04:06:09 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Paul George is a nice candidate IMO. Paul George is, simply put, not a 4; he's already expressed displeasure with playing the 4. I think there's a chance that Indiana is terrible AND PG is miserable and Larry decides to just blow it up. PG would certainly be expensive, but a player of his caliber and age is worth any combination of our assets.

Beat me to it. Indy has the chance of imploding bad this year. They can certainty sneak into the playoffs just as easily as they fall to the bottom 5 in the East for a number of reasons.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 04:12:54 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
"Star" may be a stretch, but if Nerlens Noel is forced to play out of position at PF for a very, very bad Philadelphia team, he may try to force his way out. [Granted, on a rookie scale contract, he'll have comparatively little leverage to do so.]

Nerlens Noel is probably the best bet, I'd say.

I remain skeptical they can make Noel and Okafor work together, and Okafor is the more obvious build-around asset.

They won't be in any rush to trade Noel, of course, but I think he'll be available for a strong offer.  Could come down to whether Ainge thinks Noel is better than the guy he'd get with the 2016 Nets and Mavs picks.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 04:37:00 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Nerlins , Okafor , or Love .....if LeBron doesn't bring home the title .....this year ......things might start to change with them.....every year ...gonna be harder for LeBron to,maintain his super human athletic ability. .......Father Time is starting to look his way.

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 05:15:34 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
The only possible all-star that could be traded for a rebuild is Paul George IMO.
DeMarcus is more likely to stay than George Karl, by far.

Other than that, we should focus on the "2nd-tier disgruntled" players. Harrison Barnes, Bradley Beal, maybe Tristan Thompson.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 05:48:22 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Too old for Boston but Dallas might trade Dirk this year. Only if Dirk asks though.

If Dirks wants to finish his career on a title contender instead of on a rebuilding team.

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 06:13:07 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Doesn't have to be a disgruntled star, sometimes teams just decided to move on from their vets (especially when they're aging, injury prone, or the team has plateaued.)  I wouldn't be surprised if the Bulls decided to part ways with Derrick Rose, especially since they have a new alpha dog in Jimmy Butler.  Rose has 2 years on his contract, this season is the time to trade him if you want to get anything in return.

While most think Miami is a top 4 team, I wouldn't be surprised to see the end come sooner than expected there.  Wade can fall apart for good at any moment.  I pretty much view them as the 2013 Celtics or 2013 Lakers or 2014 Nets (if not this season than next), and some time soon they're probably going to have to shake things up.   Pat Riley has traded away or let walk away just about every big Heat player in his 20 years in South Beach.  Miami's "window" and Chris Bosh's contract don't really match up, he'll be traded before his contract is up.  Probably not this year, but maybe next.

Is Carmelo going to finish out his contract in New York?

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Raptors blow it up.  Kyle Lowry and DeMar DeRozen could be moved.  DeRozen has a player option next season for $9.5m, it's probably a sure thing he's opting out.  If Toronto decides they're sick of 1st round playoff exits, you might be able to get him without giving up too much.

While not as sexy as most dream scenarios, I wouldn't mind a C's team that traded for DeRozen this year and traded for Chris Bosh next year.

If I really stretch my imagination (and the C's get some lottery luck) maybe I can even dream up a scenario where the C's can trade for Rose, Carmelo, and Bosh before the start of the '17-'18 season.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 06:44:31 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 06:14:39 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
One of the bigs from Philly.  Noel is the most likely of course.

I think Ainge will land him.  Plenty of options.

Rozier/Smart, Sullinger/Olynyk, Zeller, and 2/3 future firsts (one from Brooklyn).... Packaging up any of these...

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 06:34:37 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Second tier guy but Demare Carroll might be in a position where it's looking more like he was a product of Atlanta's system and under performs for the Raptors. You know Massai Ujiri is not afraid to pull the trigger on a move and if he really is a system player we might be his best option.

Washington might have a harder time paying for Otto Porter than it initially seems. By the time he's up for a new deal they will have Wall, Gortat and Beal on max deals and Nene's contrast could become an unmovable albatross by then. Maybe Crowder becomes an apealing option on his affordable contract.

Hassan Whiteside is not a lock to be resigned given that they'll have to pay Justise. Are they really going to give him full Max if he puts up 10,10 and 2 again because that's what he will be worth based on the market for centers. In the short term I could see Luol Deng (third tier at this point) becoming available since Miami never planned to have Winslow fall into their lap. He's older and not the player he once was but I'd think he'd be a fine option to start on this team.

Finally you have to look at Chicago's big man crunch and think that Joakim Noah could be quietly shopped, especially if Mirotic continues to emerge and Bobby Portis can play earlier than expected. It would move Pau to his more natural Center position.

Edit: looks like the Joakim Noah situation might be moving faster than anticipated http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-joakim-noah-bulls-spt-1021-20151020-story.html#
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 07:34:29 PM by Smartacus »

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 02:46:01 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
What about a trade based on Melo for IT and Lee? If NY wants a clean start this might be a good starting spot. IT is on a great value contract and could make up a lot of the lost scoring for NY. Lee's expiring contract would wash away most of Melo's deal. Both IT and Lee have some name recognition or marketability. Melo would probably have to force his way out a bit for this to be feasible, but he has done that before.

The common logic is that NY would prefer to have the opportunity provided by the rising cap to add another star to the team next year. But they could roll the dice on having 2 spots open especially if they think Melo is over the hill or will be a deturant for free agents. 

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 03:39:00 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
What about a trade based on Melo for IT and Lee? If NY wants a clean start this might be a good starting spot. IT is on a great value contract and could make up a lot of the lost scoring for NY. Lee's expiring contract would wash away most of Melo's deal. Both IT and Lee have some name recognition or marketability. Melo would probably have to force his way out a bit for this to be feasible, but he has done that before.

The common logic is that NY would prefer to have the opportunity provided by the rising cap to add another star to the team next year. But they could roll the dice on having 2 spots open especially if they think Melo is over the hill or will be a deturant for free agents.

This is really the best answer, nobody probably mentioned him because the idea's been brought up so many times around these parts.

IMO Melo is our best chance at a top 20 player in his prime. Best case scenario we trade NY 4-5 assets balancing out our roster in the process, the team starts rolling Team USA style with Melo as the focal point of an otherwise balanced attack.

After spending a year and a half in the slow deliberate triangle, Melo rediscovers his love for the game through CBS's open pace and space system, reignites his rivalry with LeBron, and draws another free agent to turn us back into a power house(Horford?).

Connecting a lot of dots here but is it really so far fetched?

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 07:00:57 AM »

Offline revtodd64

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
Of the various players, Paul George is the only game changer who would fit with the Celtics, and worth the assets to get him.  Carmelo is 31 and not worth the small window with a young team, and I still think he is more of a box score superstar than a championship player who makes people around him better.  George fits a great need for the Celtics.  A 6-9 versatile SF who can score, decent passer and would fit the system, and his still 25. 

Unless the Pacers eat up the league with their new small ball lineup, I think George gets tired of being bashed around in the paint guarding people like Tristan Thompson, and then expected to score on the other end.  Wait and see how fully recovered George is from his injury, then pounce with a big offer at the trade deadline.  Send Indiana any three or four assets they want except Marcus Smart.  Smart and George, plus one more great big man would be a excellent core for the future.