Author Topic: ESPN continues purge - 350 to lose job  (Read 2462 times)

ESPN continues purge - 350 to lose job
« on: October 21, 2015, 12:40:05 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: ESPN continues purge - 350 to lose job
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 12:50:54 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Interesting, TP for the link.

Times sure are a changin' for the cable companies.  ESPN would be well served to embrace some kind of a la carte streaming service.  Let us chromecast individual games we want to watch without the pricey monthly cable plan. 

I know my cable bill went down by $100 when I cut down to just local tv/internet.  To spend that much on a service, when its roughly 33% advertising, just didn't make sense to me. 

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 12:53:24 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice

Times sure are a changin' for the cable companies.  ESPN would be well served to embrace some kind of a la carte streaming service.  Let us chromecast individual games we want to watch without the pricey monthly cable plan. 

I know my cable bill went down by $100 when I cut down to just local tv/internet.  To spend that much on a service, when its roughly 33% advertising, just didn't make sense to me.

I might need your help to convince my wife to do the same switch. I'll use my own money to pay for League Pass if I have to but we basically pay ~$100 a month for the few channels we watch.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 01:28:01 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I might need your help to convince my wife to do the same switch. I'll use my own money to pay for League Pass if I have to but we basically pay ~$100 a month for the few channels we watch.

Totally agree.

On a related note, has anybody tried Sling TV? I like Roku, Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc, but sometimes I just want to put the tv on in the background without having to choose what I want to watch. They claim to have many cable tv channels for $20 / mo and I would just want to make sure it's not the same as Roku.

As for ESPN - it's not a total surprise, although they really do seem to be the only game in town.

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 02:01:19 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Yea had to do the same with my wife.  I got a chromecast first to ensure we could stream most of her favorite shows from her ipad.  Also introduced her to Crackle and that Seinfeld coffee show, the Jimmy Fallon youtube channel, etc etc.  Once the pudding was proved, I was in the clear to cut the cord. 

I actually really like the usability of chromecast now that I've had it a while.  It turns your ipad into the remote control and seems to be the most universally compatible of all the like devices (roku, firestick, etc).   

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 03:01:45 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
While i'm sure that this is motivated by profits - last quarter Disney's CEO cited ESPN as a reason why their earnings fell - I go back to the whole Patriots thing as being symptomatic of some bad management over there.  Hopefully they'll clear out the management deadwood as part of this purge.