Author Topic: Is anyone else worried that the Lakers picked up a legitimate beast in Randle?  (Read 7674 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Runs the open floor like a horse, can penetrate off the dribble and finish on both sides, and hunts the ball down on rebounds from own shot similarly to Zac Randolph (like and animal out of a cage basically). I've seen him put back dunk/tip in at least 3 of his own misses in 4 games and his offensive awareness is incredible with great passing and poise out of the post and perimeter.
 Confidence is building and he looks like he's recovered well from the leg injury. He's had some really good games and then went head to head with Draymond Green and held his own- absolutely owning Green on multiple occasions.
He even taunted Green saying 'he can't guard me!'

His athleticism appears to be above average NBA caliber and he's strong enough to bang inside against most NBA PF's.

But what impressed me most was when he was coming out to the perimeter and guarding 2's and 3's in switches without much trouble.
At one point he comes out to challenge the Jazz wing, locks the guy down, steals it and takes it coast to coast with ease and fluidity. He looks like an experienced 3rd year player and doesn't appear to have any strength issues in the NBA at all. I'm not sure who to compare him to. Perhaps a hybrid of Draymond Green and Terrence Jones. Doesn't have the 3 point shot yet, but is a hard worker and his jumpshot is nice mechanically.
I think the Lakers might have hit a binkie here which is so f%((%*@! annoying.

Anyone else worried that this guy is going to help them get out of the gutter?

I really hope that DAngelo Russell suffers development next to Kobe because if he reaches 75% of his potential they are going to be a very good pair in the future.

Randle Highlights:
 vs Warriors and Green
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny_fjjQPfls

vs Jazz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbo2gEPmmao

vs Raptors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuZgNmfez9I

vs Macabi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr4PSNGk1b4
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 11:40:32 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 244
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
he's looking really nice.

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
He definitely looks good in those highlights, but it's not something I'm worried about.  I happen to really like the guy we snagged in that draft.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
He definitely looks good in those highlights, but it's not something I'm worried about.  I happen to really like the guy we snagged in that draft.

same, Randle is nice, but I LOVE Smart...love his leadership on and off the court. If anything, I hope in the near future, Randle and Smart revives the Celtics-Lakers rivalry.

I'm not as worried about Randle, to me, he looks like the hustle guy down low

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
It's preseason?

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Remember when we thought we had a beast in Jeff Green because of how much he dominated pre-season in 2012?

I'll hold my breath until the real games begin.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It's not like we took Young instead of Randle. Randle was rated as a top prospect and was drafted as such. We were only able to take one player and Smart seems like a good choice so far. We also have to keep in mind that Sully was looking like he was taking the next steps to be a quality starter with a good player in KO right behind him. I get that you are not supposed to draft on need (and I realize we had Rondo at the time), but neither one had clearly separated themselves at the time.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I'm happy with smart. The end

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Shivering in my **** boots about this.

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Didn't Randle skip on of the C's work outs? Which could have made the final choice between Smart and Randle.

If They wanted I bet DA could have offered Rondo and Sully/Filler/pick for Randle and I bet the Lakers would have bit on that easy knowing Kobe wanted Rondo to play next to him and make a move for Melo. And management could be that dumb to make that move.

But I'm good with Smart right now. It's a guard/wing league and Randle doesn't fit Stevens style right now with okay outside shooting.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I'm not worried about the Lakers these days.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Yup.  I was saying the Smart vs Randle debate wasn't over yet and people acted like I was trolling.  Watch the kid... He's legit. 

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133
I'm not worried, in fact I HOPE he develops into a star. It isn't the same without both the Celtics and Lakers at the top of the league, and if both he and Smart develop into perennial stars to carry each respective team that'd be awesome to watch. While I hate the Lakers when the Celtics are battling them in the finals,  I hope for now at least both teams can get back on track and have corresponding upswings so we can once again watch the Celtics beat the snot out of the Lakers in the finals 8)

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
No.  I love Smart and think he has progressed very well and will continue to.

Randle was a top pick.  About time he shows something.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
I'm on record at draft time saying I would have taken randle, mainly because he has go to guy written all over him, many here were saying he plays no defense and just wrote him off.
 I was surprised but the hate on Julius here. He's a much more athletic Zach Randolph though not as polished inside. Zach was 250 pounds as a freshman bringing the ball up the Court just like Randle, both Left handed, both super strong. Randle jumps 37"

I don't care that he didn't want to work out here, If that's my guy I'm taking him that's the point of the draft. The team decides not the player.