Author Topic: David Ortiz Set to Retire Following '16 Season  (Read 4901 times)

David Ortiz Set to Retire Following '16 Season
« on: November 17, 2015, 01:53:27 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
We all knew this day was coming soon.   Certainly on the pantheon for athletes of important Boston sports moments provided.

Per Ken Rosenthal:

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal  1h1 hour ago
Sources: David Ortiz will retire at end of 2016 season.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: David Ortiz Set to Retire Following '16 Season
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 01:56:38 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I guess he can't go on forever, but it will suck a lot not having Papi in the line-up everyday. The inevitable Brady retirement (whenever that may be - just look at Peyton this year), will be even more difficult.

So lucky to be at Ortiz's 500th HR game this year in St. Pete. Even in a lost season, Ortiz has continued to be a pleasure to watch.

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 02:44:13 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
It'll be good to see him go out on a top and not linger on into his mid-40s, which I'm sure he could do, in some sort of deluded pursuit of 600 HRs. 

But as far as his place in Sox history, I think one can easily make an argument he's the most important player in the history of the franchise (not the best).  He near-singlehandedly reversed the Red Sox's culture of failure in 2004 and with his subsequent championships in 2007 and 2013.

It's crazy to think what the young fan base thinks about the club today compared to anyone who was around to remember what times were like before Big Papi arrived. 

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 02:47:37 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
It'll be good to see him go out on a top and not linger on into his mid-40s, which I'm sure he could do, in some sort of deluded pursuit of 600 HRs. 

But as far as his place in Sox history, I think one can easily make an argument he's the most important player in the history of the franchise (not the best).  He near-singlehandedly reversed the Red Sox's culture of failure in 2004 and with his subsequent championships in 2007 and 2013.

It's crazy to think what the young fan base thinks about the club today compared to anyone who was around to remember what times were like before Big Papi arrived.

Important?  Definitely.   I'm trying to think who else would be in the conversation.

Prime Pedro was the best Sox of my lifetime (born in '80).  Prime Rocket was pretty darn good too.  But no one provided bigger moments for that franchise & changed the culture of the fandom more than Ortiz.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 03:30:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Mr Clutch
HOF 1st ballot