Author Topic: Trade idea: Sullinger for Fournier  (Read 4111 times)

Trade idea: Sullinger for Fournier
« on: October 15, 2015, 07:27:49 PM »

Offline viulo

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
Considering that
1. Sullinger will be a RFA by the end of 2016 and he'll probably command a fee higher than what we'll be willing to pay
2. Our excess of bigs - I also consider Jerebko a big, because I think he can be very good as a stretch four with our second unit and playing as a three diminishes his ability to play to his advantages
3. The doubts surrounding Sullinger's fitness/condition (even work ethic)
4. The likelihood that his playing time will take a hit after the arrivals of Lee and Johnson, and thus his trade value will fall
I think it really is time to move him.

My suggestion:
A trade with Orlando for Evan Fournier.

I would do it straight up - we'd be basically trading 2012's 21st pick with 2012's 20th pick.
Fournier is a SG who can also play as a SF. His game isn't without flaws, but I've seen things that make me believe that, in the Cs system, and not wanting him to do what he doesn't do that well, he could be very useful.

This trade would solve the problem of us having too many bigs and it would give us another rotation guy to play in the wing, where I think we're a bit thin (I love RJ Hunter, and it's not out of the realm of possibilities that he would end up playing more than Fournier, but we shouldn't go into the season expecting him to contribute right away). Plus, Fournier is also a RFA in 2016 - in Sullinger we already know what we have and what we would be willing to pay, and I think it's less than other teams will offer; with Fournier, we would gain control over a player that might become very good, but keeping the possibility of cutting him loose if it doesn't work out.

For Orlando, I think this makes sense in the same way it makes sense for us: with the addition of Hezonja, they have 4 starters for 3 places (also Payton, Oladipo, Harris) - playing time for a guy like Fournier wouldn't be very high. And they lack a power forward with interior presence - Aaron Gordon is projected to start. The possibility of controling the future of a guy like Sully, instead of a guy like Fournier, seems to make sense.

Like I said, I would do it straight up. But I'd also like to get my hands on their 2018 Lakers pick - although there's a strong chance it'll end up being two second round picks in 2017 and 2018. Because of that, I'd offer Minnesota's 2016 pick in return. We probably would have to accept some limitations - say, if the Lakers pick was to be conveyed in 2018, we'd get the lower between that one and Orlando's; or it would only come to us if it was lower than 10. It would solve our excess of picks in 2016 and give us another option for the future. And to get smaller limitations, I might even be willing to part with Young.

What do you guys think?

Re: Trade idea: Sullinger for Fournier
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 07:33:14 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I don't see Magic offering us jack squat for Sully.

They don't seem that high on him, plus they have Gordon, or Harris that can play small ball 3 if they choose to put Hezonja at the 3 as opposed to the 3.

Honestly, I don't really seem that reluctant to trade away any of their picks.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 08:12:17 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Celtics have enough tweeners. Package JS and picks to find a legit C with emphasis on D.

Jerebko doesn't sniff the floor on a Championship contender.

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 10:44:39 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Trade Sully and Turner for Markieff Morris
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 10:56:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I'd be all over that, but why would Phoenix think Sully is a fit for the way they want to play?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 11:05:52 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum

I'd be all over that, but why would Phoenix think Sully is a fit for the way they want to play?
I think mainly they would just want to trade Markieff Morris

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 11:19:11 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Trade Sully for Jarell Martin, Jarnell Stokes and a first rounder.  Memphis could really use Sully they are thin up front.  Choose between Perry Jones and Stokes as the keeper...

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 11:22:28 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
The Morris twin trade would be great, if he can avoid a moping Morris.

I just want to ask, is there any legit trade value for Jared Sullinger anymore? I looked into some potential wings that may be available due to contract negotiations (Beal, Barnes, etc), we'd basically have to give up at least 2 additional draft picks.

At this rate, Fournier would be a wash of a trade.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 11:31:19 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
The Morris twin trade would be great, if he can avoid a moping Morris.

I just want to ask, is there any legit trade value for Jared Sullinger anymore? I looked into some potential wings that may be available due to contract negotiations (Beal, Barnes, etc), we'd basically have to give up at least 2 additional draft picks.

At this rate, Fournier would be a wash of a trade.
I would probably trade for Fournier if Phoenix won't trade Markieff. I would also look at Jordan Adams on Memphis

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 11:33:50 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Maybe but their GM is Ryan McDonough, an Ainge disciple.  He's not gonna dump one of his guys for a lot less than what he thinks he's worth.

And honestly, trading Kieff for a still-fat Sully and Evan Turner is selling low.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 11:48:37 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum

Maybe but their GM is Ryan McDonough, an Ainge disciple.  He's not gonna dump one of his guys for a lot less than what he thinks he's worth.

And honestly, trading Kieff for a still-fat Sully and Evan Turner is selling low.
I would agree but he seemed to sell low on Isaiah. I think Sully is worth that Cleveland pick and Turner is worth Thornton. And I think Isaiah is worth more than Markieff

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 01:34:21 AM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598

I don't mind trading Sully, but not for this horrible idea. Fournier haven't really done much. We already got Jerebko for peanuts, i'm sure we can get him for that too. You don't trade a good player for an average one without much compensation. Add a pick or too, then I'd consider the deal.

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 04:56:06 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Νοοοοοο

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 07:39:04 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I don't mind trading Sully, but not for this horrible idea. Fournier haven't really done much. We already got Jerebko for peanuts, i'm sure we can get him for that too. You don't trade a good player for an average one without much compensation. Add a pick or too, then I'd consider the deal.

Honestly, what has Sully done?  Fournier is a career 38% shooter from downtown, can take defenders off the dribble, and is 8 months younger than Sullinger.  He's not the best passer and has defensive lapses, but he's definitely got NBA talent.  I can't see why the Magic would do this trade, but it absolutely makes sense from the C's.  I proposed Young for Fournier earlier this summer, and that's still the trade that makes more sense to me, but with Sully appearing to be 5th in the big rotation, this one is fine too.

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 08:45:33 AM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
Trade Sully for Jarell Martin, Jarnell Stokes and a first rounder.  Memphis could really use Sully they are thin up front.  Choose between Perry Jones and Stokes as the keeper...

I've been thinking about a Sully to Memphis trade for months now but I just haven't been able to come up with one that benefits us. Most likely would involve us sending MEM two players and getting back a prospect like Stokes and pick or two. I think Sully could learn a lot from Zbo, and Memphis needs a more talented bench. Sully & Brandan Wright would be a good bench combo!