Author Topic: Trade Idea: Sullinger to Hawks  (Read 3905 times)

Trade Idea: Sullinger to Hawks
« on: October 15, 2015, 10:56:20 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=nlptz3z

Tavares' preseason game vs Cavs-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2N752_Bdu4

Boston
Walter Tavares

Why for Boston?
Sullinger is clearly on the outside looking in and a change of scenery looks like the best move for both sides. Enter Tavares, who is a project, but is only 22 years old, and combines 7-3 height with a 7-9 wingspan and 9-10 standing reach. That compares very favorably to Rudy Gobert, who is 23, 7-2, with a 7-8.5 wingspan, and 9-7 standing reach. Plus, he's signed for the next 3 years, at roughly 1M per year, which would allow him plenty of time to develop.

Atlanta
Jared Sullinger

Why for Atlanta?
Sullinger is way more polished than Tavares, who is currently the 3rd string center on the Hawks behind Horford and Splitter. The Hawks coming off a 60 win season are in a "win now" mode. Their backup PF, Mike Scott, is facing some serious legal battles. Sullinger provides bench depth, an ability to keep Millsap's minutes in very low 30's, and has the passing and shooting ability to thrive in Coach Bud's offense.

Philadelphia
Mike Scott

Why for Philadelphia?
As seen with other trades, they're willing to take on salary for a draft pick or two. Scott's contract is basically expiring as next year is a team option. That said, given his legal issues this year's contract could probably be voided. If not, either of the other teams (Boston or Atlanta) could send the Sixers money, in addition to the aforementioned draft pick(s), in order to have him waived. A similar trade to the Perry Jones deal we took from OKC.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 11:06:44 AM by Eddie20 »

Re: Trade Idea: Sullinger to Hawks
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 12:08:30 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I do not think the Hawks would do it, because Tavares kicked butt in the Cavs game.   I would expect them to say "no" but it might be worth a try.

I think Al Horford would be ideal for a mentor for Sully.   

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 12:19:59 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
I do not think the Hawks would do it, because Tavares kicked butt in the Cavs game.   I would expect them to say "no" but it might be worth a try.

I think Al Horford would be ideal for a mentor for Sully.

I do think Sullinger fills a need (bench scoring/backup PF) and do agree that Horford, along with Millsap, would be good mentors. It definitely makes Atlanta better this season.

It looks like a win-win for both teams, as Tavares would likely be fine spending the year in Maine.

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 12:33:13 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I don't see it happening for 1 of 2 reasons:
1) Tavares is as terrific as you think --> Hawks would hold on to that player since he'd be ready this year or next and finally allow Horford to slide to PF where he really belongs.
2) Tavares is the project you mentioned --> James Young is younger and he's getting crucified because he's going into his second year and not ready to contribute.  Tavares would become the next in the line of project whipping boys here. 

Personally, I'm typically against trading Sully because the return value is peanuts since he's almost always undervalued by those trying to dump him but this deal seems palatable if Tavares looks like he can develop into at least a back-up quality center.  I wouldn't put my faith into 1 preseason game against the Cavs as the measuring stick though.

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 12:49:10 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I wonder if Utah might be a potential suitor for Sullinger.

Outside of Favors and Gobert, there's not a ton of talent in that Jazz frontcourt. Some decent glue-guy types, maybe. But Sully's ability to space the floor could make him a decent complement to either of the Jazz' cornerstone bigs.

Add in Sullinger's long friendship with Trey Burke, and one might think a reunion could potentially spark both players' careers.

I am not sure what Utah would give Boston in return. Maybe someone more imaginative than I can come up with something. Jazz have lots of future picks, but Ainge probably doesn't need those.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 12:55:33 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
I don't see it happening for 1 of 2 reasons:
1) Tavares is as terrific as you think --> Hawks would hold on to that player since he'd be ready this year or next and finally allow Horford to slide to PF where he really belongs.
2) Tavares is the project you mentioned --> James Young is younger and he's getting crucified because he's going into his second year and not ready to contribute.  Tavares would become the next in the line of project whipping boys here. 

Personally, I'm typically against trading Sully because the return value is peanuts since he's almost always undervalued by those trying to dump him but this deal seems palatable if Tavares looks like he can develop into at least a back-up quality center.  I wouldn't put my faith into 1 preseason game against the Cavs as the measuring stick though.

Tavares is a project and I don't think he's great. However, he does have potential. Comparing him to Young, even though Young is younger, isn't fair. Big men are notorious for taking longer to develop than other positions. Plus, and this is HUGE, he didn't start playing basketball until he was 17. So 5 years of total basketball experience.

Assuming Sullinger will repair value by barely sniffing the court/playing behind Lee, Zeller, Olynyk, and Johnson seems like a pipe dream. I'd rather cash out now, especially for a player with size that has potential. Perhaps Tavares goes the way of Fab Melo, but it's a gamble worth taking.

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 01:31:01 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
I do think Sullinger fills a need (bench scoring/backup PF) and do agree that Horford, along with Millsap, would be good mentors. It definitely makes Atlanta better this season

He has looked like he can play in the league.   Why would they do this, they need a back up C too, I would wager as much if not more than Bench PF.   Tavares also, is in shape something that can't be said for Sully.

Assuming Sullinger will repair value by barely sniffing the court/playing behind Lee, Zeller, Olynyk, and Johnson seems like a pipe dream. I'd rather cash out now, especially for a player with size that has potential. Perhaps Tavares goes the way of Fab Melo, but it's a gamble worth taking.

Sully's value is more on this board than it is league wide.  I agree, it is time to cash out.  I just see the Hawks laughing at this notion.   Tavares has already shown more than Fab Melo.  Melo barely had the IQ to walk across the street, alone.

That being, said it is a nice idea, and I think your right that we need to move on.

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 03:17:04 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
I do think Sullinger fills a need (bench scoring/backup PF) and do agree that Horford, along with Millsap, would be good mentors. It definitely makes Atlanta better this season

He has looked like he can play in the league.   Why would they do this, they need a back up C too, I would wager as much if not more than Bench PF.   Tavares also, is in shape something that can't be said for Sully.

Sully's value is more on this board than it is league wide.  I agree, it is time to cash out.  I just see the Hawks laughing at this notion.   Tavares has already shown more than Fab Melo.  Melo barely had the IQ to walk across the street, alone.

That being, said it is a nice idea, and I think your right that we need to move on.

Splitter is their backup center. Tavares is their 3rd string center.

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 04:08:25 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
They might do it then, I stand corrected.  Thanks, Eddie20

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 01:30:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Splitter is their backup center. Tavares is their 3rd string center.
I've heard the Hawks have toyed with starting Splitter, Horford, and Milsap.  That would be a massive front line and would be interesting to see implemented.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 02:48:28 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Why would you sell low on Sullinger at this point? I'd rather have him coming on the bench. Also, Tavares looks slower and less athletic than Gorbert, so that's a no.

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 02:50:30 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
Why would you sell low on Sullinger at this point?

Aye, but your name is tankcity.   Conditioning, and weight issues that have not been remedied.

So far, he has been a good soldier, and not made a racket.   If he continues there is no reason, but if trouble brews, then maybe it is time.

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 03:01:28 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Why would you sell low on Sullinger at this point? I'd rather have him coming on the bench. Also, Tavares looks slower and less athletic than Gorbert, so that's a no.

You "sell low" on Sully because it may actually be as high as you're going to get from this point on.  He's a (restricted) free agent, who currently is 5th man on the totem pole for bigs, on a team that sometimes only puts one big on the floor.  He doesn't have a reputation for staying on the court, and he plays a style of basketball that is going out of vogue in the NBA.  Given all that, he does not seem like someone who should be re-signed next summer.  And if he's providing minimal value for you now, and possibly no value for you long-term, he is a viable trade candidate, and not one who gets a lot of value back.

I mean, I don't care for this particular deal, because my opinion is that Sullinger trades should either return draft picks so that we can keep Perry Jones, or another swing like Crowder and Jerebko that's better than PJ3, because that's where our biggest depth concern is, or a wing.  Trading him for another big seems pointless.  But I don't think he returns that much value at this point, and it's questionable if he ever would have produced much more (I mean, he was picked 22nd in the draft just three years ago.)

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 07:18:48 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
If we cannot get Tavares (I would trade Sully and a late first rounder for him!!), then maybe we can trade with Utah for Jeff Withey (who we keep and try to develop as a shot blocker; he was an amazing shot blocker at Kansas!!) and Chris Johnson, who we waive.

This trade cannot occur until December 15th, since Withey just signed recently.

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/check_trade

Thoughts??

Smitty77

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 07:36:46 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

You "sell low" on Sully because it may actually be as high as you're going to get from this point on.  He's a (restricted) free agent, who currently is 5th man on the totem pole for bigs, on a team that sometimes only puts one big on the floor.  He doesn't have a reputation for staying on the court, and he plays a style of basketball that is going out of vogue in the NBA.  Given all that, he does not seem like someone who should be re-signed next summer.  And if he's providing minimal value for you now, and possibly no value for you long-term, he is a viable trade candidate, and not one who gets a lot of value back.

I mean, I don't care for this particular deal, because my opinion is that Sullinger trades should either return draft picks so that we can keep Perry Jones, or another swing like Crowder and Jerebko that's better than PJ3, because that's where our biggest depth concern is, or a wing.  Trading him for another big seems pointless. But I don't think he returns that much value at this point, and it's questionable if he ever would have produced much more (I mean, he was picked 22nd in the draft just three years ago.)
Bingo. They don't need another big man, or a PG for that matter. Trade for a scoring wing, and a good one, that would do wonders for this roster.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 08:06:39 PM by Surferdad »