Author Topic: Trade Idea: Sullinger + Turner for Asik  (Read 1909 times)

Trade Idea: Sullinger + Turner for Asik
« on: October 14, 2015, 05:14:39 PM »

Offline Megalodon

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
This trade can only be executed after Dec. 14th. Depending on how you interpret CBA, Celtics might also have to include a salary filler of at least 140,000 (think James Young, if he is just as horrible as he was).

Rationale: We will get a good, defensive center who can rebound at the prime of his career for cheap (11m/year, 5th year is a team option). Pelicans, on the other hand, if Davis-Asik pairing does not work out, will get a scoring PF whose defense will be masked by Davis. Turner also fills a need for SF.

Re: Trade Idea: Sullinger + Turner for Asik
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 05:25:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Turner is a horrible fit for New Orleans because they already have Tyreke and Gordon on the wing.

The Celts are too lacking in scoring options to carry such a limited offensive player in the starting lineup as Asik, and at 11 million per year he's pretty expensive just to be a backup, especially since the Celts already have two comparable or superior options at the position (Amir and Zeller).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 05:59:22 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
People are starting to takes things too far. I would never send Sully alone for Asik, no way I'm sending both. I like Turner, he is being thrown under the bus for no reason, he will probably be more valuable to us than Asik given how CBS wants us to play. The bigs we have are fine, Amir can give you Asik and more.

No.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 06:41:37 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I've never been an Asik fan, even when he was ultra-popular around here a couple of years ago. I am glad to see others agree. I know we have 'too much' depth and it would be nice to turn several lesser players into one or two very good players, but I don't think Asik is the guy to go after.

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 07:17:34 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
No way. Asik isn't really that good. Way too much to give up for him.

I agree Pels wouldn't do it anyway.

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 08:09:36 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
For CBA accuracy, they would have to throw in $380,885 extra in salary.

But I don't think this is a move the Celtics are terribly interested in.  They easily could have beaten New Orleans offer to Asik over the summer if they were so inclined. That they didn't even reportedly reach out to him should say all that needs to be said.

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 09:15:35 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
ET

For

a used ham sandwich

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 09:51:15 AM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
People are starting to takes things too far. I would never send Sully alone for Asik, no way I'm sending both. I like Turner, he is being thrown under the bus for no reason, he will probably be more valuable to us than Asik given how CBS wants us to play. The bigs we have are fine, Amir can give you Asik and more.

No.

This! Another reason why I wouldn't do this trade is because we lose some flexibility going into the offseason by picking up Asik's 9M+ (signed for the next 4-5 yrs). I think Danny will be looking for a Center who's athletic and can run the floor in our pace and space system.

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 09:59:17 AM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
Turner is a horrible fit for New Orleans because they already have Tyreke and Gordon on the wing.

The Celts are too lacking in scoring options to carry such a limited offensive player in the starting lineup as Asik, and at 11 million per year he's pretty expensive just to be a backup, especially since the Celts already have two comparable or superior options at the position (Amir and Zeller).

NOT true. Turner would be a good fit for the Pelicans. He'd come off the bench (even with Norris Cole) and be a playmaker. He's shown game after game, his ability to make plays. I think guys like Anthony Davis, Ryan Anderson, etc would benefit from that. Turner is versatile and can play the 1-3 on offense, and the 2 & 3 on defense.

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 11:22:07 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
After watching last nights games, I think Turner and Sully are really the odd men out (although not for a lack of skill).

I was thinking during the game that Turner +Sully for a SG and then possibly moving bradley for a late 1st ( I don't think he would want to be a backup). I can't think of anyone but real SG seems more important than a very traditional center for this team. Last night a combo of Johnson, Zeller, KO, and Mickey seemed just fine at center.

Smart, IT
(Trade for SG), Hunter
Crowder, Jerebko
Lee, KO
Zeller, Johnson, Mickey
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 03:01:01 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
After watching last nights games, I think Turner and Sully are really the odd men out (although not for a lack of skill).

I was thinking during the game that Turner +Sully for a SG and then possibly moving bradley for a late 1st ( I don't think he would want to be a backup). I can't think of anyone but real SG seems more important than a very traditional center for this team. Last night a combo of Johnson, Zeller, KO, and Mickey seemed just fine at center.

Smart, IT
(Trade for SG), Hunter
Crowder, Jerebko
Lee, KO
Zeller, Johnson, Mickey

I think Bradley would accept his role as a backup. That's likely his role on most contending teams. Would you consider consolidating the roster by trading for Eric Gordon?

Something like:

TO BOS: Gordon, 2016 1st round pick (top 10 protected in 2016 & 2017, unprotected in 2018)
TO N.O: Bradley, Turner, Sullinger

The last thing we want is another 2016 1st round pick...right? Not necessarily...we could always trade any of our picks for a player or a future pick.

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 04:23:21 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Sully are really the odd men out (although not for a lack of skill).

Sully has always been skilled since day 1, trouble is he has no discipline when it comes to being a pro and he is a horrible athlete.

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 04:57:27 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
Impossible!! Pelicans need a true dirty work decent scoring center around AD. This trade is pointless for them. Holiday, Gordon, and Evans all share ball handling duties