Author Topic: ESPN - Franchise Rankings (4 major sports)  (Read 1962 times)

ESPN - Franchise Rankings (4 major sports)
« on: October 14, 2015, 11:34:16 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/13875380/espn-magazine-2015-ultimate-standings

Spurs are #1, but surprising (at least to me) the Grizzlies are #2.  The Celtics are 57.  The C's write up is below.  First NHL team is the Lightening at 3.  First NFL team is the Seahawks at 5.  First MLB team is the Pirates at 8.  Patriots are the first Boston based team at 25.  Bruins are 93 and the Red Sox are 100.  The Maple Leafs are the worst franchise at 122 with the Knicks hot on their trail. 

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13864740/boston-celtics-no-57-ultimate-standings
This story is part of ESPN The Magazine's Oct. 12 Owners Issue. Subscribe today!
Boston Celtics

Overall: 57
Title track: 24
Ownership: 48
Coaching: 17
Players: 34
Fan relations: 51
Affordability: 70
Stadium experience: 68
Bang for the buck: 109
Change from last year: +9

The Celtics, after a second-half surge to the playoffs last season, are trending upward -- on the court and in the Ultimate Standings.

What's good
A likable and maturing roster has Boston fans bullish on the men in green, with the Celtics moving up 27 spots in the overall players ranking. While the C's lack a superstar face of the franchise, newcomer Isaiah Thomas and friends -- following the December departure of Rajon Rondo -- posted a 24-12 record to end the season and showed grit against Cleveland in the playoffs. The Celtics are hopeful that adding Amir Johnson and David Lee to a stable core leads to an even higher rise in the standings this season. "We have basically nine guys back from our roster that played quite a bit [on last season's playoff squad]," Celtics coach Brad Stevens said. "That's a good thing."

What's bad
Anyone who has ever engaged in a "Let's go Celtics!" chant at a playoff game or danced along with Gino after a lopsided regular-season win would argue with Boston's middle-of-the-pack ranking in stadium experience (though the team moved up marginally in both affordability and experience in this year's poll). After shelling out a ridiculous $42 to park beneath TD Garden, most fans won't argue that Boston's biggest problem is in the bang for the buck category. While cheaper lots exist nearby -- the seasoned visitor will use public transportation when possible -- the thought of hoofing half a mile in a January blizzard to watch a team in the rebuilding process is far from an ideal family night.

What's new
Stevens blushes at how the Celtics made a 37-spot leap in coaching in this year's poll, but the 38-year-old helmsman inarguably is the biggest reason for Boston's nine-spot jump overall. Even with the improving roster, he is still the biggest draw on a starless squad. The growing buzz around the league about Stevens -- with stamps of approval from NBA royalty such as LeBron James and Gregg Popovich -- might eventually help deliver the sort of elite talent that Boston needs to really vault in the rankings.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: ESPN - Franchise Rankings (4 major sports)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 11:54:32 AM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
The price of tickets were a large factor in these rankings which hurt the Boston teams.  Personally, I don't think that's a very good factor to go by since every team will charge as much as their fans are willing to pay.  Salaries and expenses are also higher in the Boston area than most parts of the country.

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 11:57:03 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Affordability & "Bang for the Buck" had to have absolutely killed the Red Sox & Bruins.

Trainwrecks.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 12:37:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Affordability & "Bang for the Buck" had to have absolutely killed the Red Sox & Bruins.

Trainwrecks.

Yep.

Lots of money for a crappy product.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 12:40:29 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I wonder what NYK was ranked for affordability, I'm looking at a minimum $60 ticket for fridays game. A preseason game none the less.

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 01:32:35 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
After shelling out a ridiculous $42 to park beneath TD Garden

...what?  I've never parked anywhere but the Gov't Center garage if I drove in.  ESPN's people being stupid shouldn't hurt our rank like that

the seasoned visitor will use public transportation when possible -- the thought of hoofing half a mile in a January blizzard to watch a team in the rebuilding process is far from an ideal family night

North station is literally in the building, with the orange and green line stops right outside, where are they getting half a mile from?
I'm bitter.