Author Topic: NBA Preseason 2015  (Read 3391 times)

NBA Preseason 2015
« on: October 13, 2015, 05:06:24 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Didn't see another thread for this, so deposit any thoughts relating to non-Celtics preseason games here.

First thought:

Watched the highlights for Bulls vs Pelicans.  Bobby Portis looks bigger than I expected.  Dude looks legit. 

I think the Celts might have really missed something there (not that he'd had gotten playing time on our roster .... meh).

As crazy as it might sound, I think Noah is superfluous on that Bulls roster.  I like them best with Mirotic and Gasol in the frontcourt.  Gibson and Portis might be a really good bench combo for them rebounding and finishing with shooters like Brooks, Snell, and McDermott bombing from outside.

Also I saw that Meyers Leonard is continuing to turn into Channing Frye 2.0.  Amusing.  Could be really valuable for the Blazers spacing the floor next to Plumlee or Davis.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: NBA Preseason 2015
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 05:27:01 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
portis clearly has the talent, the question is how the new coach deals with seniority.
I was really bumed that DA passed on Portis, but whats done is done

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 06:14:53 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
I've liked what I've seen from OKC so far, but there's a huge grain of salt to be taken there since they've only played two games against really weak competition.

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 06:19:03 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Heat look overrated. Really have an issue with perimeter shooting/spreading the floor. I also see some weaknesses preventing dribble penetration. Dragic is a mediocre defender, Deng and Wade have lost a step, while the latter has always taken plays off and gambled way too often. Now with diminishing athleticism his ability to get into passing games and recover is barely there.

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 06:26:33 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
I've always found it peculiar that many in the NBA blogosphere and media world are extremely high on the Heat. I think they can be a solid playoff team in the East, but just looking at the team on paper and factoring in recent seasons from their core players, I don't see "Eastern Conference contender." Some part of me thinks it's just residual "never doubt the Spurs" narrative spilling over into assessments of another lauded organization in the Heat.

Similarly, I think people are WAY too high on the Wolves. Yes, I know their injury woes of last year; they're still going to be terrible. As a general rule of thumb, NBA teams that are centered around rookies and really young players are bad. Could Wiggins turn out to be the next superstar wing? Sure. Could Towns turn out to rival Anthony Davis as the best big man in the game we've seen since prime Shaq? Perhaps. But for 2015-16? The Wolves are going to be bad.

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 06:30:05 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I've always found it peculiar that many in the NBA blogosphere and media world are extremely high on the Heat. I think they can be a solid playoff team in the East, but just looking at the team on paper and factoring in recent seasons from their core players, I don't see "Eastern Conference contender." Some part of me thinks it's just residual "never doubt the Spurs" narrative spilling over into assessments of another lauded organization in the Heat.

Similarly, I think people are WAY too high on the Wolves. Yes, I know their injury woes of last year; they're still going to be terrible. As a general rule of thumb, NBA teams that are centered around rookies and really young players are bad. Could Wiggins turn out to be the next superstar wing? Sure. Could Towns turn out to rival Anthony Davis as the best big man in the game we've seen since prime Shaq? Perhaps. But for 2015-16? The Wolves are going to be bad.
I don't understand why people like the miami coach so much, in my eyes he is of the worst, and hasn't proven anything.

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 06:30:53 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I've always found it peculiar that many in the NBA blogosphere and media world were extremely high on the Heat. I think they can be a solid playoff team in the East, but just looking at the team on paper and factoring in recent seasons from their core players, I don't see "eastern conference contender."

Yeah, you can win a lot of games with young, unproven guys in supporting roles if you have quality veterans in place taking a lot of the shots and generally controlling things in crunch time. 

You definitely CANNOT win if it's the inverse of that.

As for the Heat, I agree that floor spacing and general quickness defensively is going to be a problem for them.  Still, they have the firepower to win a lot of regular season games so long as Dragic, Bosh, Wade, and Whiteside stay healthy most of the season.  They really only need Dragic and Bosh -- that should be a lethal pick and roll combo.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 06:34:07 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff

I don't understand why people like the miami coach so much, in my eyes he is of the worst, and hasn't proven anything.

Well, what's your idea of "proving anything"? He's won two titles. If you're going to discount that 'cause LeBron, that's a bit unfair -- you might as well give Pop an asterisk 'cause Duncan, or Phil an asterisk 'cause MJ/Shaq/Kobe, and so on and so forth. Good coaches manage to maximize the talents of their best players to best serve the team.

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 06:40:04 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I've always found it peculiar that many in the NBA blogosphere and media world were extremely high on the Heat. I think they can be a solid playoff team in the East, but just looking at the team on paper and factoring in recent seasons from their core players, I don't see "eastern conference contender."

Yeah, you can win a lot of games with young, unproven guys in supporting roles if you have quality veterans in place taking a lot of the shots and generally controlling things in crunch time. 

As for the Heat, I agree that floor spacing and general quickness defensively is going to be a problem for them.  Still, they have the firepower to win a lot of regular season games so long as Dragic, Bosh, Wade, and Whiteside stay healthy most of the season.  They really only need Dragic and Bosh -- that should be a lethal pick and roll combo.

I found this interesting and what could be a problem with that idea.

Through the 1st three preseason games Dragic was definitely not used as much as many of us expected. His usage rate was noticeably lower than in PHX last season, where he spent more time spreading the floor from the wing, than he did at the point.

So far things are not looking much better. After 3 games Goran's average usage rate stands at a very low 17.6%. Bosh has a USG% of 23.7% and Wade 30.4% - almost twice the size od Dragic's USG%. This really seems to be a big discrepancy. Dragic's efficiency increases with usage and for him to be effective it has to increase significantly.

So the question remains. Is that even possible playing in the same backcourt with Wade? Is Dwyane willing to sacrifice and relinquish some of his playmaking duties in his contract year?

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 06:51:09 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I found this interesting and what could be a problem with that idea.

Through the 1st three preseason games Dragic was definitely not used as much as many of us expected. His usage rate was noticeably lower than in PHX last season, where he spent more time spreading the floor from the wing, than he did at the point.

So far things are not looking much better. After 3 games Goran's average usage rate stands at a very low 17.6%. Bosh has a USG% of 23.7% and Wade 30.4% - almost twice the size od Dragic's USG%. This really seems to be a big discrepancy. Dragic's efficiency increases with usage and for him to be effective it has to increase significantly.

So the question remains. Is that even possible playing in the same backcourt with Wade? Is Dwyane willing to sacrifice and relinquish some of his playmaking duties in his contract year?

Hm.  Well, if they don't make use of Dragic, then yeah, that'll be a big problem for them.

At this point Wade should really be in something like a Ginobili type of role.  The bread and better for that team should be the Dragic - Bosh pick and roll.  They might actually be at their best with Wade (and possibly even Whiteside) coming off the bench.

Dragic - Green - Deng - McRoberts - Bosh

^ That might actually be their best lineup, at least for the regular season.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 07:26:40 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
Ehhhhhh, I dunno about Green being the starting two guard for a team aspiring to make the playoffs. Dude's the definition of a conscienceless gunner - a role that suits him perfectly off the bench.

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 07:47:42 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Dwyane Wade I think is in the early stages of what Kobe's been going through a while now - a great player with a game that still allows him to put up good numbers as he ages, but requires him to do it in a way that's more deliberative and more obviously self-serving, gumming up the pace of the offense and keeping his teammates from finding a consistent rhythm.  His game is shifting from a major net positive to a smaller advantage and many nights, a net negative, but he's gonna be the last one to pick up on it.  Just my impression anyway, there's some definite parallels there.

Plus the injury issues, though Wade's seem more chronic.

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 08:20:20 PM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
Skinny Lowry has been good.   40pts and a few 20pt games.   Very efficient.   

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 09:50:44 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Ehhhhhh, I dunno about Green being the starting two guard for a team aspiring to make the playoffs. Dude's the definition of a conscienceless gunner - a role that suits him perfectly off the bench.

I agree, I wouldn't start Green.  I'm just suggesting I think the Heat are probably best with Dragic and Bosh running the pick and roll with shooters around them.

That aside, how about Mario Hezonja?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0zRYNBry8A

This dude looks like a cockier version of Ginobili so far.  I really like him.

Wasn't Ainge supposedly interested in Hezonja?  Last year, he was interested in Aaron Gordon.  Celts ultimately didn't have high enough picks to get either.

The Magic might be pretty fun to watch this year.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 07:26:07 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Watching Houston - New Orleans . . .

Once again I find myself wondering what the heck Danny was thinking when he selected James Young ahead of Clint Capela.  Kid appears to be Biyombo with decent hands.
- Mark Twain