Author Topic: Stevens appears to have settled on his top four bigs  (Read 9881 times)

Re: Stevens appears to have settled on his top four bigs
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2015, 10:52:41 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I like the rotation of Zeller-Lee and Amir-KO, it makes good basketball sense.

I'm gonna guess that Danny and CBS weren't exactly thrilled with Sully's off season conditioning results. Sully talked a good conditioning game, but the results were not enough.

There's no doubt he has talent, and will make a decent career backup PF/C, he's not a starter or long minute guy. The added weight kills his stamina.   

« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2015, 11:53:39 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
:-\
Disappointed there is no Jerebko. I thought he was very good for the team last year.

I imagine he will get significant minutes at the 3.  Not an ideal fit there, but he's the only guy on the team who can play on the wing and actually hit an open three at a high rate.

Yep.

The hope, of course, is that one or both of Young and/or Hunter will emerge for that role, but that could be a long ways down the road.

On our current lineup, JJ looks like the best option for someone who can both defend some of the big 3s out there and also provide a plus space-creating component to the offense.

Crowder probably makes for a better option against some match ups, and though his 3PT shooting is not as reliable, he has shown an improved ability to drive & get to the line.

And of course, Evan is the option that may be a lesser defensive match up, but can provide play-making from the 3 for when IT isn't on the floor.   Assuming Smart (and Rozier, eventually) begins to take on more of those responsibilities, ET may be less of a fit in the long run.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2015, 11:57:47 AM »

Offline BigHam

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 16
  • 7' 2" 330 lbs
Scal said something interesting in the game against Madrid. He asked Sully 'Why he didn't dunk more?' and Sully replied 'I'm saving my energy' or something along those lines. Maybe he really does need to reserve some energy to make it through his 15min a game or maybe he's just lazy, either way I prefer him on another team.
Waking up from a slumber to misunderstand another.

« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2015, 12:12:33 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He asked Sully 'Why he didn't dunk more?' and Sully replied 'I'm saving my energy' or something along those lines. Maybe he really does need to reserve some energy to make it through his 15min a game or maybe he's just lazy, either way I prefer him on another team.

This is a way of saying I am not that good at it without saying it, too.

I thought the way CBS used him in spurts in the first game in Europe helped him out some.  He was moving without the ball, cutting hard and trying a bit on D.   He played well that game, if this is true, this is something other than his play in that first game.

« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2015, 12:19:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I wonder how many times A. Sherrod Blakely has to make a definitive statement or prediction about what the Celtics are going to do and be wrong before people stop making threads thinking that what Blakely says is gospel?

Pure Blakely speculation to get hits on the website once again.

When are people going to learn?

« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2015, 12:52:49 PM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
Personally I think these game's are not telling anything really.  If I'm taking a guess at starting line up and back up starting five I'm thinking it'd be this.

Starting Five
Center - Johnson
Power Forward - Sullinger
Small Forward - Turner
Shooting Guard - Bradley
Point Guard - Smart

Back Up Five
Center - Zeller
Power Forward - Lee
Small Forward - Crowder
Shooting Guard - Rozier
Point Guard - Thomas

Odd Men In and Out
Power Forward - Olynyk
Shooting Guard - Young (Think we try to show him some to trade him)
Power Forward - Mickey
Shooting Guard - Hunter

As much as I like Jones III think he's cut or traded.

I think Olynyk personally should be the one traded or put in the package deal, since he's got the most young value talent.  If we don't start off strong I think by trade deadline, we could ship Lee to a contender and get a piece or a pick.  As for Sullinger I think we should try to resign him.  Just because of his age and talent as a solid starter who could turn into a star for us, or would be a great 6th man for the bigs as either an undersized center which he's played or a power forward the more natural position. 

As I said about an Olynyk trade, I think he should be bundled in a deal with Rozier and a couple of seconds.  The trade should be for Noel, who would be a great starting Center for us, plus gives 76ers a great young Point Guard to go with Okafor, Olynyk being a good stretch Power Forward for them to pair, who doesn't need to be on the block to score like Okafor.   

« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2015, 12:59:45 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
I wonder how many times A. Sherrod Blakely has to make a definitive statement or prediction about what the Celtics are going to do and be wrong before people stop making threads thinking that what Blakely says is gospel?

Pure Blakely speculation to get hits on the website once again.

When are people going to learn?
He always writes stuff to draw hits. It is his job to create interest. Sully will get his minutes if he stats. We may showcase Lee to trade him as well. Somebody is leaving before the first game. I think Sully and Turner are the ones Ainge is pushing at the moment. 
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2015, 04:59:14 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Personally I think these game's are not telling anything really.  If I'm taking a guess at starting line up and back up starting five I'm thinking it'd be this. 

Starting Five
Center - Johnson
Small Forward - Turner
Shooting Guard - Bradley
Point Guard - Smart

Back Up Five
Center - Zeller
Power Forward - Lee
Small Forward - Crowder
Shooting Guard - Rozier
Point Guard - Thomas

I think some of you are in for a rude awakening.  Lee is starting over Sully unless he is injured.   We have heard CBS say tons of good stuff about Lee.  What has he had about Sullinger this preseason.   Is he trying to trick other teams to think he is not playing.  Gimme a break, he is not Belichick.

Here is what he said about Sully.

“He is running, especially at the end [of practice], well,” Stevens said. “We all probably need to continue to get into game shape. I don’t expect anyone to be in game shape [now]. That’s part of the process of getting ready. He’s just in another competition with a lot of guys for minutes.”

“He’s playing pretty well, but it’s stiff competition at that spot,” Stevens said

Some quotes about David Lee

Said Lee, "When I get a defensive rebound, one of the things (Stevens) wants me to do is push the ball. With how our spacing is set up, it's not necessary for me to go Charles Barkley coast-to-coast. Instead, with the amount of dribble handoffs and pick-and-roll stuff he wants to do, I'm going to be able to put my man who's guarding me on their heels. And then if I pitch it to somebody for a pick-and-roll, now you're asking a big guy to be backpedaling and now all of a sudden get out and hedge on a screen-and-roll.

Brad Stevens: "David Lee brings a great deal of savvy (to our team)." He says Lee fits perfectly into what Stevens wants to do on the court.

"We're going to try to play through him quite a bit especially when he's not on the floor with Isaiah," said Stevens.

Stevens also said this which could mean anyone sits or plays because it is not specific.
I just think, overall, it helps our basketball team when you've got competition like that. All five guys have been starters in this league — from me, to D-Lee, to Tyler, to Kelly, to Amir.

That's a big challenge to tell somebody who is so used to starting that 'Hey, you're coming off the bench,' or 'Hey, you're not playing tonight.' If it's in the best interest of the team, at the same time, we’ve got to accept that. If you're the guy on the bench, or if you're the guy who is starting, you've got to play that role.

Great read on this situation

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/10/jared_sullinger_wont_make_riva.html

The coach added: "There's going to be competition (in the frontcourt) and the good news is, if somebody's not playing well or if somebody is sick or out or whatever the case may be, we're going to be able to go to our bench and be very, very good. I think that's the great part about having the depth. I think the more that we can have that -- kinda whoever needs to be ready is ready to perform on any given night -- the better we'll be.

Finally we have that option, perhaps guys who do not run or play D will sit as they should.  I think Blakely is definitely reading into who played in Europe.   But guys seriously, it is really possible that Sully could be the fifth big.

« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2015, 05:38:53 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Danny usually plays the guys he wants to trade.

« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2015, 06:17:22 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
Granted it may make sense for many reasons for the other 4 to play first.  But there are so many what ifs : one of the other four gets injured, gets traded at the deadline, is not resigned or renewed after this season (Lee or Johnson), etc.  At that point won't some of us be glad that Sully is available?  I know some will say that is what Jordan Mickey is for, but still....

« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2015, 06:50:41 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Sully is not as bad as he's made out to be on here.  I think he Brings a lot of value to this team and hope he stays.  He's a good big off the bench

« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2015, 06:58:18 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904

Starting Five
Center - Johnson
Small Forward - Turner
Shooting Guard - Bradley
Point Guard - Smart

Back Up Five
Center - Zeller
Power Forward - Lee
Small Forward - Crowder
Shooting Guard - Rozier
Point Guard - Thomas

I think some of you are in for a rude awakening.  Lee is starting over Sully unless he is injured.   We have heard CBS say tons of good stuff about Lee.  What has he had about Sullinger this preseason.   Is he trying to trick other teams to think he is not playing.  Gimme a break, he is not Belichick.

Here is what he said about Sully.

“He is running, especially at the end [of practice], well,” Stevens said. “We all probably need to continue to get into game shape. I don’t expect anyone to be in game shape [now]. That’s part of the process of getting ready. He’s just in another competition with a lot of guys for minutes.”

“He’s playing pretty well, but it’s stiff competition at that spot,” Stevens said

Some quotes about David Lee

Said Lee, "When I get a defensive rebound, one of the things (Stevens) wants me to do is push the ball. With how our spacing is set up, it's not necessary for me to go Charles Barkley coast-to-coast. Instead, with the amount of dribble handoffs and pick-and-roll stuff he wants to do, I'm going to be able to put my man who's guarding me on their heels. And then if I pitch it to somebody for a pick-and-roll, now you're asking a big guy to be backpedaling and now all of a sudden get out and hedge on a screen-and-roll.

Brad Stevens: "David Lee brings a great deal of savvy (to our team)." He says Lee fits perfectly into what Stevens wants to do on the court.

"We're going to try to play through him quite a bit especially when he's not on the floor with Isaiah," said Stevens.

Stevens also said this which could mean anyone sits or plays because it is not specific.
I just think, overall, it helps our basketball team when you've got competition like that. All five guys have been starters in this league — from me, to D-Lee, to Tyler, to Kelly, to Amir.

That's a big challenge to tell somebody who is so used to starting that 'Hey, you're coming off the bench,' or 'Hey, you're not playing tonight.' If it's in the best interest of the team, at the same time, we’ve got to accept that. If you're the guy on the bench, or if you're the guy who is starting, you've got to play that role.

Great read on this situation

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/10/jared_sullinger_wont_make_riva.html

The coach added: "There's going to be competition (in the frontcourt) and the good news is, if somebody's not playing well or if somebody is sick or out or whatever the case may be, we're going to be able to go to our bench and be very, very good. I think that's the great part about having the depth. I think the more that we can have that -- kinda whoever needs to be ready is ready to perform on any given night -- the better we'll be.

Finally we have that option, perhaps guys who do not run or play D will sit as they should.  I think Blakely is definitely reading into who played in Europe.   But guys seriously, it is really possible that Sully could be the fifth big.

Yeah, it's hard to see how we don't start Lee, unless Brad just wants IT and Lee to go HAM on every 2nd unit. I said it as soon as we got him - his ability to play a point forward-type role is really going to help Marcus and Bradley out there, who I think Brad REALLY wants to start.

It's also interesting to note that he's really kept one of the vets (Amir, Lee) paired with one of the younger bigs (KO, Zeller, and Sully) for most of the frontcourt minutes. I do like that idea, but I'd also like to see how Amir and Lee work together.

« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2015, 07:10:28 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Sully is not as bad as he's made out to be on here.  I think he Brings a lot of value to this team and hope he stays.  He's a good big off the bench

I have said it before, and I will say it again...pre-IT4 trade Sully was the best/most-talented player on the team.  Unfortunately for him, after the All-Star break he was essentially kicked off the team and the team responded by playing its best ball of the season.

Add to that the acquisition of Lee and Johnson, who both can bring it on the glass which was Sully's calling card, and suddenly his talent edge is gone.

I still think he is a top-3 overall talent on this team.  His basketball skill is undeniable.  Hopefully he comes out this season with a huge effing chip on his shoulder and dominates when he can.

« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2015, 07:41:16 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I think Brad will tinker some still, end up adding Turner & Johnson to start alongside Lee, Smart & AB.

With IT coming off the bench, could see the ball-handling Turner in the starting 5 to help Smart. 

Also, wouldn't be surprised at all to see BOTH Kelly & Sully earning bit roles. 

Zeller, AJ & Lee are all very formidable, and we'll be playing a lot of small ball with Crowder and double-J at the four. 

« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2015, 08:27:58 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
I think the question with Sully is is he that much better than Kelly Olynyk or the next guy that you're willing to deal with his weight problems and his poor work ethic. I think the answer at this point is no.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!