Author Topic: Celtics (2-0) at Nets (1-2) Preseason Game #3 10/14/15  (Read 28964 times)

Celtics (2-0) at Nets (1-2) Preseason Game #3 10/14/15
« on: October 12, 2015, 07:00:00 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11820
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
at
Boston Celtics (2-0) at Brooklyn Nets (1-2) 
Wednesday, October 14, 2015
7:30 pm ET
TV:  CSNNE, YES
Barclays Center

Possible Starters
PG:  Isaiah Thomas
SG: Evan Turner
SF:  Jae Crowder
PF:  Amir Johnson
C:   Tyler Zeller

Probable Reserves

Coty Clarke
RJ Hunter
Jonas Jerebko
Perry Jones III 
Jordan Mickey 
Malcolm Miller
Kelly Olynyk 
Levi Randolph 
Jared Sullinger   
Corey Watson
James Young 

Head Coach
Brad Stevens

Injuries
Terry Rozier (knee) questionable 
Jonas Jerebko  (illness)  questionable 
Marcus Smart (illness)  doubtful 
Avery Bradley (rest)  out
David Lee  (rest)  out 

Players to Watch

Evan Turner should get his first preseason action in this game.  I am taking a guess that Brad Stevens will move him into the starting lineup to see how he fits with that lineup. 
Jared Sullinger may be one of the odd men out on this power forward heavy roster.  Brad Stevens said that he will probably only play 4 bigs in most games and suggested that Lee and Zeller would be starters with Johnson and Olynyk off the bench.  It will be interesting to see how Sullinger reacts to this. 
Perry Jones III missed the Celtics game in Spain due to a death in the family.  He should be back with the team to continue to fight for that last roster spot. 
James Young has yet to show why he deserves the last spot on the roster, in spite of glowing reports from Danny Ainge.  The team will need to see something positive from either Jones or Young to make the decision on the final spot. 

Possible Starters
PG: Jarrett Jack
SG: Wayne Ellington
SF: Joe Johnson
PF  Thaddeus Young 
C   Brook Lopez 

Probable Reserves
Ryan Boatright
Chris Daniels
Justin Harper
Dahntay Jones
Sergey Karasev
Shane Larkin
Chris McCullough
Quincy Miller
Willie Reed
Thomas Robinson

Head Coach

Lionel Hollins 

Injuries
Rondae Hollis Jefferson  (ankle) day to day
Andrea Bargnani (hamstring) day to day
Markel Brown  out
Chris McCullough  out 
Donald Sloan (hamstring) out
Thomas Robinson (wrist)  day to day

Players to Watch

Brook Lopez is the only Net to have started every game so far.  He is averaging 16 points and 5 rebounds per game.  Lopez will give the Celtics post defense a good test. 
Jarrett Jack started two of the Nets 3 games and is averaging 15.5 points, 2.5 rebounds, and 1,5 assists.   In the past, Jack has given the Celtics problems and he should give the Celtics defense a good test as well. 
Thomas Robinson started just the first game for the Nets but pulled down 16 rebounds in that game.  He also scored 12 points.  He is considered day to day with a wrist injury but if he plays, the Celtics will need to box him out to keep him off the boards. 

Game Notes

The Celtics are facing their first NBA opponent after their 2-0 European adventure where the Celtics built chemistry and worked on rotations and player combinations.  The Nets have played 3 games,  beating the Pistons and losing to Gigi Datome's Fenerbahce Ulker and the Philadelphia 76ers.   

Once again, I am guessing at starting lineups.  Brad Stevens has said that he plans to use just 4 bigs per game, with David Lee and Tyler Zeller starting and Amir Johnson and Kelly Olynyk coming off the bench most nights.  That leaves Jared Sullinger and Jonas Jerebko on the outside looking in.  While Jerebko can find some minutes at the 3, Jared seems to be the odd man out.  However, matchups and injuries can change these plans as quickly as they were thought out.

In spite of this announcement, we may see different starting lineups or rotations in the remaining preseason games as Stevens continues to evaluate his lineups.  So, I wouldn't be surprised to see Sully get more minutes or even start for one game.  I've guessed that they will start the same lineup as they did in the first two games. 

As for the Nets,  the only player who has started every game is Brook Lopez and I'm pretty sure he will be in the starting lineup for this game.  I've guessed that the other starters will be the ones who started 2 of the 3 games, but again,  I may be wrong.   

The Celtics are very interested in how the Nets fare this season since they own the Nets first round pick.  Beating them, while it wouldn't count for much in the regular season standings, would be nice to give the Celtics a boost of confidence.  It's always nice to beat a division rival, even in the preseason. 

Keys to the Game
Defense
- The Celtics are building their identity on their defense this season.  They need to continue to build a tough and swarming defense.  Defense will be even more important as they switch from European opponents to NBA opponents. 

Run! - The Celtics advantage in many games will be their depth and youth.  They need to run their opponents off the court and with that depth,  keep fresh legs on the court and wear out their opponents. 

Ball Movement - Olimpia Milano players said that the Celtics' ball movement reminded them of the Spurs.   The Celtics have been moving the ball very well and it makes guarding them much tougher.  They need to continue to move the ball and make the extra pass. 

Be Aggressive - The more aggressive team usually gets the benefit of the whistles and they also usually get the win.  The Celtics need to be aggressive on defense, on the boards, in going after loose balls and in taking the ball to the hoop. 

X-Factors
Over Confidence
- The Celtics need to avoid over confidence that could result from their easy wins in their first two games.  They need to go into this game with the attitude that they are playing the best team in the NBA and need to give it their best effort.

Rust vs Rest -  The Celtics have gone almost a week without a game and also, although they have played 2 games,  this will be their first game against NBA competition.  Hopefully they won't be rusty from the break. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 03:15:17 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Celtics (2-0) at Nets (1-2) Preseason Game #3 10/14/15
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 07:02:06 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237
TP FLCelts...thanks for all you do.

Hope we smoke this team into oblivion....demoralize them early on....help that pick!!!

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 07:14:26 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
great job once more flc....and i hope those are trappist monk beers inside the cozies.  ;D

the celtics will continue to roll since they are a great team and..... flc posts great game threads.

gooooo celtics!!

p.s. a tp for you of course.  :)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 07:19:35 PM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133
Thank you again FL, TP for your work.

Really hoping PJIII and Young each get 25+ minutes so we can really see the potential each has when given minutes. I really want to keep one of the two, but don't want to see a trade break up the chemistry the team has just to free space. Celtics proving you CAN have too much depth.

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 10:31:50 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to csfansince60s for being the first to post in the thread!  Also for that sig.  I just love those two guys!!! 

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 10:33:15 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
And a TP to hwangjini_1 and CelticsFan166 for posting 2nd and 3rd and thank you to all 3 for your kind words and the TP's. 

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 10:37:37 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I really want to attend this game, but I dont think i have enough time to make it after class :(.  Maybe will go to the one on friday. :)

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 11:51:39 PM »

Offline The_Truth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 28
I'll b there!!

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 04:16:41 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Box out hard KO.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 08:15:51 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
so hoping for an absolute blowout here. 

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 08:50:10 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Brad Stevens has said that he may rest some vets including Avery Bradley.  Marcus Smart is down with the illness that has gone through the team since Madrid.   He will probably start Isaiah Thomas and Evan Turner in the back court. 

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 09:09:59 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Ugghhh, lose Smart and Bradley and get Turner back in the starting lineup? It's true that bad things come in 3's...  8)

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 09:14:58 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Ugghhh, lose Smart and Bradley and get Turner back in the starting lineup? It's true that bad things come in 3's...  8)
Shouldn't be too bad, its gonna be fun blowing out Brooklyn without our starting backcourt.

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 10:31:44 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Shouldn't be too bad, its gonna be fun blowing out Brooklyn without our starting backcourt.

It'll be fun to see an IT start and its effects on the lineup even if it's only preseason.

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 10:47:23 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

It'll be fun to see an IT start and its effects on the lineup even if it's only preseason.

Yup, I've been waiting to see this since he got here.  Don't really care whether IT or Smart start, but I feel they're our two best guards so I'd like to see them get at least 30 minutes.

Vaguely interested in that IT - Smart - Jerebko - KO - Johnson lineup.

Bradley, Turner, Crowder, Lee, and Zeller would all be huge sparks especially against 2nd stringers, while Sully/Rozier/Hunter could provide boosts or open up trades.

Also wouldn't mind an IT - Smart  - Crowder - Johnson - Zeller starting lineup if Stevens wanted a more physical/defensive approach.  Sully in place of Johnson could also be interesting if there's a weak opposing big who is just asking to be abused by him or Zeller down low.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 11:02:27 PM by mgent »
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale