Author Topic: Would you take Kobe?  (Read 3754 times)

Re: Would you take Kobe?
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2015, 09:38:03 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Maybe Kobe could hire Barry Bonds' "Trainer".....He'd still have a few good year left.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2015, 12:27:19 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I can't think of one good reason to bring Kobe to Boston.  none.  not one.  nada.

It would be a Mike Tyson-caliber punch to the gut to most Lakers fans, if you'd consider that a good reason.

Otherwise I agree.  No good reason at all.

Make him wear the Lucky mascot outfit and sit him at the end of the bench.
Yup

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2015, 12:59:45 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
Admit i haven't read all the replies but they were tending to say 'no' or 'yes' for similar sorts of reasons. My answer from reading the question to now has remained 'no'. Very little upside considering his age and declining ability. I also think he would be a poor fit as he would change what CBS has been doing so much. It would cost too much for what would probably be very little return. If you asked what about bringing back 'The Truth', that I would like to see.

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2015, 08:58:46 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Shaq was soft? Steve Nash was soft? Really?
Shaq is one of the biggest pricks in sports.  He is widely regarded as a terrible teammate and his work ethic was terrible.  It is no surprise that someone like Kobe who works hard and keeps his body in prime condition would clash with a fat slob like Shaq (and don't get me wrong, I think the things Shaq says are hilarious, but would never want to work with someone like that). 

Nash, a 38 year old guy, who was a shell of himself and barely played during his Lakers run.  That Nash. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2015, 09:12:24 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Shaq is one of the biggest pricks in sports.  He is widely regarded as a terrible teammate and his work ethic was terrible.  It is no surprise that someone like Kobe who works hard and keeps his body in prime condition would clash with a fat slob like Shaq (and don't get me wrong, I think the things Shaq says are hilarious, but would never want to work with someone like that). 

Nash, a 38 year old guy, who was a shell of himself and barely played during his Lakers run.  That Nash.

And none of that addresses the claim that everyone who didn't like Kobe was somehow "soft".
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2015, 09:26:40 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

And none of that addresses the claim that everyone who didn't like Kobe was somehow "soft".
Shaq was soft when it came to practice, work ethic, etc.  Nash barely played in LA and basically just called it quits.  Seems pretty soft to me.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2015, 10:23:42 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

Shaq was soft when it came to practice, work ethic, etc.  Nash barely played in LA and basically just called it quits.  Seems pretty soft to me.

The only thing soft is the space between your ears...well, perhaps that's not the only thing.

Nash was a known workout warrior much like Kobe is a known Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.. The fact that at age 39 Nash's body broke down has nothing to do with being soft. It happens to every athlete and has no reflection on his character. As for Shaq, you're right in that he didn't like the practice all that much. But the guy came to play, much like Allen "you talking about practice" Iverson didn't like to practice and no one ever called him soft on the court. I don't remember anyone calling Bird soft in '88 or the Cooz at the end of his career either.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2015, 07:55:16 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Smoke another one!