Author Topic: kelly -  (Read 3320 times)

kelly -
« on: October 10, 2015, 06:12:39 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
it seems in recent photos that kelly's gym work is visually starting to show
his work efforts and playing all summer are clearly showing now
i think kellys ankle effected his whole game longer than people realized much like smarts and hurt his stats
kelly is in only his 3rd year a 7footer with a complex skill set for a big coming into nba,
it is possible kellys potential is still on the rise and benefits from amir and lee
and another year with some stability
i have just turned the corner into a kelly fan and realized how unique he becomes with his work ethic
and skill set--
cut down on the exagerated pump fake this is nba sublty is all that is needed and keep your hair pulled back
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 06:38:46 AM by rollie mass »

Re: kelly -
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 06:25:22 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Welcome, Rollie. I'm hopeful that this will be a big year for KO, too. He's trying to do so much right out there that I think as more and more becomes automatic to him his confidence and performance will rise.

He had the best defensive score on the team against RM.

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 08:36:51 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
clover tp,,kelly had to deal with rondos arrogance and disdain early in his 2nd season ,then a merry go round of players and as i stated that ankle injury which effected his jump shot, first step and any verticality-the 18game sit out and recovery screwed his stats

in the spanish  series this insignificant play stood out to me, a closeout on a corner three, kelly was late or maybe it was his length or just a good play- now this is what impressed me
he didn't hesitate and took off without breaking stride  upcourt like a guard
this doesn't go in books but is what wears their bigs out
no loafing for them geting back on d
'you have jerebko running,zeller running and ko running and no sluffing off on d because they all have range
all this takes it toll on defence and ultimately the other teams offence by 4th quarter
it is my belief that this is what makes isaiah so deadly in 4th quarter,also benefits jerebko
and high motor guys

« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 08:47:22 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 08:41:37 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I am of the same mindset as Rollie.  I see KOs work paying off.  I am not sure he is strong enough yet to provide muscle as a center, but a 7 foot player with skills who is still improving is not easy to find.  Kevin Garnet also had a slimmer frame, and, although he said he preferred the forward position, turned out to be an excellent center.  I am old enough to love the old style back to the basket centers, but I am smart enough to appreciate the newer style outside shooting and defending (?huh?) centers. Depends on who is on the floor and the style of play.

I agree that this could be a big year for Kelly.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 09:20:16 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I have been hoping that Kelly would put it all together this year as many others. The thing I have noticed in 2 preseason games is his comfort level. If he gets the ball in a situation where it is catch and shoot he has not hesitated and takes the shoot. This is IMO a really good thing.

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 09:39:18 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
There has been the debate of Sully or KO, who to keep, who to let go in a trade.

Right now KO has improved his game and body over the last two seasons, and Sully not so much. Sully looks to be in better shape this year than last, but Lee and Amir are out playing him, and Mickey looks like he could be a keeper. I wouldn't have guess two years ago Sully would be odd man out, but it's starting to look that way.

Now problem is teams are going to look at KO as part of a trade package. Does DA roll with Sully and move KO for a better player, or does he sweeten the pot for the team to take Sully so he can keep KO.

KO and Smart have done what young players need to do in the beginning of their career, make their body and game stronger and better from the previous year. Sully and Young have not done this, not fully anyways.

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 09:46:16 AM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133
There has been the debate of Sully or KO, who to keep, who to let go in a trade.

Right now KO has improved his game and body over the last two seasons, and Sully not so much. Sully looks to be in better shape this year than last, but Lee and Amir are out playing him, and Mickey looks like he could be a keeper. I wouldn't have guess two years ago Sully would be odd man out, but it's starting to look that way.

Now problem is teams are going to look at KO as part of a trade package. Does DA roll with Sully and move KO for a better player, or does he sweeten the pot for the team to take Sully so he can keep KO.

KO and Smart have done what young players need to do in the beginning of their career, make their body and game stronger and better from the previous year. Sully and Young have not done this, not fully anyways.

Young actually has added 15 pounds and gotten noticeably bigger, but unfortunately his game hasn't really followed. Hopefully with more minutes this season he can turn things around.

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 09:50:07 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I've always liked Kelly - as long as he stays aggressive he'll be fine.  But, he is not a paint protector.  He's just a good, all-around ballplayer.

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 10:08:44 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think he has been Superman to Sully's Bizarro in terms of their work on their bodies.  KO looks learner and more muscular, and more mobile, I can't say that of our Bizarro but he was more active in the first preseason game than slacked off the second.  So physically I agree, there is positive change.

The thing I would like to more of is the mental improvement.  He needs to take the shot when opened.   This has still been an issue in preseason but I see some growth in this area.  I agree with timpiker, he needs to stay aggressive.

I thought he looked better with the hair last game, he even looked bigger and more intimidating.

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 10:24:33 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I've been a huge Olynyk fan since day one.

One thing I think we can all agree on is that if he refuses to cut his hair, he needs to stick with the bun while on the court.  Those swirling locks are simply ridiculous. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 10:29:52 AM by Celtics18 »
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 10:33:55 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
not that this is comparison for future career but dirk was 3 yrs in league when he got his first award 3nd team all nba and 4years moved up a notch to 2nd
i think rondo wasn't much help for kelly's confidence but you can see it growing-lee and kelly can both dribble and pass-lee and amir will both help everybody who runs-i must be strange my memory of lee was of a outlet pass after a rebound and i still remember my whoa nice pass

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 10:40:19 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Kelly's feet look quicker, the look of cement feet is beginning to disappear. You can see foot drills taking hold. Over all Kelly is turning into a man, the lost boy look is disappearing. His body isn't just doughboy looking, he's gaining definition and chest width.

I think playing for the national team kept him in good condition, while still being able to work on his body and his game. Mentally he didn't turn down open shot, as much as in the past. His ball handling is getting better and better. The C's can do a lot worse than having KO with the ball in his hands at the top of the key.

On Defense he's putting a body on people, and using his size more. He's never going to be a big time rim protecter, but if he can be a serviceable defender, along with his upside on offense, he may be valuable. I like when he's in the game with Amir having his back.

I have to admit for a while, I lost faith in him having value at all.

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 11:16:28 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I've been a huge Olynyk fan since day one.

One thing I think we can all agree on is that if he refuses to cut his hair, he needs to stick with the bun while on the court.  Those swirling locks are simply ridiculous.

Fair enough. His constant fidgeting with his hair drove me crazy. No fidgeting required for the bun.

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 11:49:19 AM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

I don't agree at all.  It's a free country.  He can do whatever he wants with his hair.

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 12:28:34 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I don't agree at all.  It's a free country.  He can do whatever he wants with his hair.

I guess I was wrong.  Maybe I should have said; "most of us seem to agree."
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson