Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: MVP  (Read 2849 times)

Re: MVP
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2015, 01:16:46 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It's sad that guys have to have their turn to win an MVP.  LeBron is the MVP of the league every year whether he wins the award or not.  In terms of elite players that have waited their Paul is probably first in line, but I don't see him having as strong of a year as Harden.  I'll go with him.

As always, it depends on how you define "MVP."

I think Curry deserved the MVP last year, and was the "Most Valuable Player."  But that's based on my interpretation of the meaning of the award.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2015, 09:04:40 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Davis is just a monster, he is unbelievable. 19 points in 13 mins of game play so far.
By far the BEST player in the nba, not just this season. Transcendent talent to span the ages.

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2015, 10:07:32 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Davis is just a monster, he is unbelievable. 19 points in 13 mins of game play so far.
By far the BEST player in the nba, not just this season. Transcendent talent to span the ages.

Relax, it's just preseason.  ;)

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2015, 10:25:24 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17

Relax, it's just preseason.  ;)
Its close enough ;D ;D ;D just ready for season to start.

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2015, 10:30:05 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Andrew Wiggins is a sleeper here.

Not a chance in hell. 

Wiggins is the definition of overrated right now, and that Timberwolves team will be lucky to make the 8th seed out west.

It's sad that guys have to have their turn to win an MVP.  LeBron is the MVP of the league every year whether he wins the award or not.  In terms of elite players that have waited their Paul is probably first in line, but I don't see him having as strong of a year as Harden.  I'll go with him.

Depends on how you look at it. 

If you take it by it's literal meaning "most valuable player" then I don't think Lebron is the MVP.   Not taking anything away from his greatness, but the Cavs would still be a strong team without him, long as Love and Irving are there.

In that regard I think Harden is more valuable because I think Houston would struggle to make the playoffs without him.

Curry is a fair call too, because without him I doubt the Warriors would be all that great.

LeMarcus Aldridge could be up there.  The Spurs got knocked out a bit early last year and with Duncan/Parker/Ginobili all likely to decline, chances are they would have dropped off significantly this year.  Adding Aldridge might be the move that puts them right back at the top of the West, and if so he deserves consideration.

If the Kings somehow make strides then you can bet Cousins will be up there, ditto Davis if the Pelicans make a big jump.

Don't sleep on Lillard either.  With Aldridge gone, its going to be up to him to determine whether the Blazers stay competitive of sink to the bottom.  There's an opportunity for him to make a Harden/Curry like explosion this season. 

If the stars align and the Lakers somehow make the playoffs, then Kobe should be up there.

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2015, 10:31:13 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

Davis is not the best player in the NBA...though he has the potential to be, and sooner rather than later. 

As of now, he's certainly in the top 6 or so.

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2015, 10:36:24 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
Chris Paul's time.

I'd like to see it. 

I don't think he qualifies for MVP in the literal meaning (now that the Clippers are so ridiculously stacked) but I think the Clippers are going to be an elite team this year, and I think Paul will be a prime candidate in the real-world meaning (best player on the best team). 

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2015, 08:05:04 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

Davis is not the best player in the NBA...though he has the potential to be, and sooner rather than later. 

As of now, he's certainly in the top 6 or so.

100% agreed. Let's wait for Davis to actually elevate his team to a top seed before declaring him "by far" better than LeBron or Kevin Durant. As reductive an argument as that is, those are the standards to which I'm holding him: those two guys did it and have won MVP awards as a result. For all of the hype about AD's potential, it hasn't yet actually translated to on-court success. I'm sure it's coming -- but it's not yet here.