Author Topic: Idea - If you're going to post, make sure they make sense.  (Read 3702 times)

Idea - If you're going to post, make sure they make sense.
« on: October 09, 2015, 07:01:50 PM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
This is a little bit of a rant but I'm sure some if not most will agree. 

When I first joined this site, it actually seemed like people were writing good post and actually put some thought into there post.  I personally enjoy reading post that truly make sense, and have some backing of why.  Not the reason of trading to trade, or because you like a player, or because you keep hearing about someone. 

Also making the same post over and over again just a new subject.  I know this might sound stupid but serious people, if you want to discuss basketball, discuss it. 

When writing a post, look a little long term since we're still rebuilding.  We've had some mistakes on the way that will set us back to not where we'd like to be.  Yes, do I think we could be a playoff team but we still need a lot of work.  We played in the U.K. to different styles of basketball, and we probably won't look as good in the NBA games, before everybody says we're going to be great. 

Side notes.

James Young, still very young, not sure truly what we have.  Could be a bust or a good player will never be a star.  I'm more leaning on a bust to a decent bench player on a better team, not the Celtics.

David Lee, still a fan of the guy but don't think he's going to be our savior or missing piece.  Personally I hope we start him in and out of the line up to do two things.  Keep him fresh to help us win games.  Two more importantly, trade piece at the deadline to a real contender that needs a backup big.

Avery Bradley, personally I think everybody needs to learn to love this player in the Celtics uniform.  I don't see us trading him, unless it was for a big name player that will make us win NOW.  DeMarcus Cousins being the only one, maybe a Nerlens Noel if we know we can resign him.  Noel would be for next year winning to give us a true center.

Jared Sullinger, I wouldn't be surprised if we resign him soon.  Honestly when on the floor he is our best player.  Isaiah Thomas I love his game, but he's a great 6th man for us, but don't see him being a true starter.  Sullinger can be a 18-20 points a game with 8-10 boards a game player, watch his game if you don't believe so.  He's a true power forward and actually plays positional basketball to rebound, and our best to second best scoring option specially on the block.  David Lee plays the block amazing but he's not a long term answer. 

Marcus Smart and Terry Rozier, Smart will be our starting point guard for the year.  As for Terry Rozier, personally I think Danny Ainge choked on this pick.  I see Rozier being a good trading piece this year or next year but he's not in the Celtics plan for long term. 

Kelly Olynky, we need to trade him now.  He had a great summer playing with Canada and hope someone bites on him.  He's an over sized stretch four, not a center and doesn't give us a center.   

Tyler Zeller, we should try to resign him, but only at a certain price because the truth is he's our best center but would have a tough time starting on other teams.  I really like his game so I hope we keep him, just don't want to overpay a player like this just because the cap is going to go up.

Sorry if this is a little bit of a rant, but I think a lot of you will agree with this as for talk smart basketball ideas.  Don't just post to post, make it something you actually want to talk about. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 04:28:06 PM by ThePoeticWolf »

Re: Idea - If you're going to post, make sure they make sense.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 08:21:51 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Here's an idea; if you're going to rant, at least spell rant right in the first sentence.

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 08:41:27 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
A few things to consider:

1.  "Making sense" is in the eye of the beholder.  A crazy idea to me or you might be a good one to somebody else;

2.  Once the season starts there will be more stuff to talk about.  It's hard to come up with novel ideas at this point, especially if you take the nonsensical ones off of the table;

3.  Not everyone here is a diehard, so they don't always know what was posted a few days back.

In general, I'm sympathetic.  It's been a long, long off-season.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 08:56:23 PM »

Offline bballdog384

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
  • Rondolope
Any post is a good post. There's not as much traffic on the forums right now and we could all use some more reading material.

If a post doesn't jive with you, you don't have to respond or read the content. The better / more interesting / well thought out posts will generate more replies and stay at the top of the forums.

While on the subject - can the top forum topics be reinstated to the side bar on the main page?
"You can't play like a robot" -Coach Stevens

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 09:01:47 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17

1.  "Making sense" is in the eye of the beholder.  A crazy idea to me or you might be a good one to somebody else;

2.  Once the season starts there will be more stuff to talk about.  It's hard to come up with novel ideas at this point, especially if you take the nonsensical ones off of the table;

3.  Not everyone here is a diehard, so they don't always know what was posted a few days back.

Well said

Also to note, some of the more thought of posts that I made hardly got any comments or anything like that. Some of my most "popular" treads came from seemingly the weirdest of ideas.

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 10:06:23 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Here's an idea; if you're going to rant, at least spell rant right in the first sentence.
and "vent" and "site".  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 10:44:28 PM »

Offline kevbo

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
It HAS been a long offseason and I for one welcome any post because I check the forums many times a day every day. Celticsblog is pretty much my first internet stop of the day, as it has been since probably the first few months  of the site. I wanna say that was 2004 but my memory is hazy. (Side note: it's hilarious that I am on CB so much for so long and my post stats are like that of a guy who logged onto the forums yesterday. I am DEEP lurker.) That said, any basketball talk, no matter how ill-conceived, makes this place go. I'd also say the level of discourse remains pretty high,  give or take some months. So go easy on on Cbloggers, and steel yourself for the inevitable 3 months of Jared Sullinger caterwauling we're about to endure on the forums ;)

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 11:01:15 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Any post is a good post.

God, I wish this were true.

If a post doesn't jive with you, you don't have to respond or read the content. The better / more interesting / well thought out posts will generate more replies and stay at the top of the forums.

I agree with this.

My take: if people could just take a little time to reflect and not only post something thoughtful but also stick around to engage in the resulting conversation -- instead of just giving us a drive-by/monkey-throwing-feces-against-the-cage-walls/OMG-look-at-me! kind of post -- things could be even better around here, especially during the lean times.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 12:43:57 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Terrible posts are a CB tradition, and honestly, it's a lot better here than any other site I've seen.

To paraphrase Winston Churchill, CB is the worst basketball site, except for all the others.

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 01:01:27 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

As is every offseason. I actually think I created a thread about ghosts a few years ago (which I don't even believe in). It's all about taking out of it what you want to. At least it is almost always respectful, which is why I have been coming here for so many years.

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 01:22:50 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
This is a little bit of a rent but I'm sure some if not most will agree. 

When I first joined this sight, it actually seemed like people were writing good post and actually put some thought into there post.  I personally enjoy reading post that truly make sense, and have some backing of why.  Not the reason of trading to trade, or because you like a player, or because you keep hearing about someone. 

Also making the same post over and over again just a new subject.  I know this might sound stupid but serious people, if you want to discuss basketball, discuss it. 

When writing a post, look a little long term since we're still rebuilding.  We've had some mistakes on the way that will set us back to not where we'd like to be.  Yes, do I think we could be a playoff team but we still need a lot of work.  We played in the U.K. to different styles of basketball, and we probably won't look as good in the NBA games, before everybody says we're going to be great. 

Side notes.

James Young, still very young, not sure truly what we have.  Could be a bust or a good player will never be a star.  I'm more leaning on a bust to a decent bench player on a better team, not the Celtics.

David Lee, still a fan of the guy but don't think he's going to be our savior or missing piece.  Personally I hope we start him in and out of the line up to do two things.  Keep him fresh to help us win games.  Two more importantly, trade piece at the deadline to a real contender that needs a backup big.

Avery Bradley, personally I think everybody needs to learn to love this player in the Celtics uniform.  I don't see us trading him, unless it was for a big name player that will make us win NOW.  DeMarcus Cousins being the only one, maybe a Nerlens Noel if we know we can resign him.  Noel would be for next year winning to give us a true center.

Jared Sullinger, I wouldn't be surprised if we resign him soon.  Honestly when on the floor he is our best player.  Isaiah Thomas I love his game, but he's a great 6th man for us, but don't see him being a true starter.  Sullinger can be a 18-20 points a game with 8-10 boards a game player, watch his game if you don't believe so.  He's a true power forward and actually plays positional basketball to rebound, and our best to second best scoring option specially on the block.  David Lee plays the block amazing but he's not a long term answer. 

Marcus Smart and Terry Rozier, Smart will be our starting point guard for the year.  As for Terry Rozier, personally I think Danny Ainge choked on this pick.  I see Rozier being a good trading piece this year or next year but he's not in the Celtics plan for long term. 

Kelly Olynky, we need to trade him now.  He had a great summer playing with Canada and hope someone bites on him.  He's an over sized stretch four, not a center and doesn't give us a center.   

Tyler Zeller, we should try to resign him, but only at a certain price because the truth is he's our best center but would have a tough time starting on other teams.  I really like his game so I hope we keep him, just don't want to overpay a player like this just because the cap is going to go up.

Sorry if this is a little bit of a rant, but I think a lot of you will agree with this as for talk smart basketball ideas.  Don't just post to post, make it something you actually want to talk about.

Did you take over Roy H duties??

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 09:41:07 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

You have a lot of nerve to post about making sense and posting this crap.   What a double standard.  His health has never permitted this nor has his conditioning.  Up to now he has played in 177 of a possible 246 games in the regular season that is 71% of the games.   Does it make sense to invest in something that only works that much?

This positional stuff is new, he thought he was Kyle Korver the last two years.   I hope he goes back to what make his a great college player though which is playing down low.   He will never be a star on defense, he will always be a guy that over team attack the rim on.  I do think that it will allow him to be  a better player for us.  You had to have posted this only seeing the first game in which he was a great 7-10.  The next game was 2-6.   Still shooting better than last year and more like his rookie year, and I hope the few threes continue.

Lee adds one thing you forget to mention that Sully does not.   He is a leader and the equal if not better player.   He is not a long term answer, but I do not think Sully is either given his health and track record.   Do you think Sullinger is a leader by eating all way to injury or saying how hard he worked out and coming to camp looking like the Staypuff Marshmellow Man.  This might may Lee a better fit for us but I see them both as assets to get us the "real guy".

As for the making sense, " Common sense is not common."  - Ben Franklin and you should take a long hard look in the mirror.

PS make sure you pay your rant this month so your landlord does not go on a rent.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 10:00:36 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 09:59:06 AM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133

Celticsblog has changed over the years.  Prior to joining SBNation, it was a diehards blog and man did I learn a lot.  Gradually there's been an increasing desire for "clicks" and forum posts that seem to  scream "I need attention."  More power to everyone, it is what it is.  CBlog has changed and there are a lot more of us to boot.

It's also stayed the same in some regards.  There are still excellent frontpage articles and top notch forum posts.  The moderators are exceptional at keeping some sanity around here, . . . and the pre-game summaries always valuable since I don't follow the other teams!

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 11:48:56 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

But this doesn't make any sense
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 12:24:45 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
If you could go back and read some of the posts and comments I made back on the basketball forums on CompuServe and AOL back in the 90's when I was 12, 13, 14 years old, man I would be so embarrassed.

Not saying every bad post is by some 13 year old fan, but we all don't have advanced degrees in journalism or literature either.  I know I tend to assume every poster is like me (a handsome, well-respected, genius), but in real life the debate I'm having with a random poster might look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAbojIyN1zY

(Why don't youtube videos autmatically embed anymore?  Am I doing something wrong?  Anyway here's a gif:)

Just can't hold everyone to our personal standard.  If we did, a junior high bdm860 may have been discouraged as young fan and never developed into this beautiful swan providing profound content to CB today  ;D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 12:37:42 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class