Author Topic: About the draft night trade with Charlotte that didn't happen.  (Read 5771 times)

Re: About the draft night trade with Charlotte that didn't happen.
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2015, 01:37:47 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Winslow could very well be the next Stacey Augmon. He only goes left, is undersized, and can't shoot. He also could overpower players on the college level, but not at this one.

I am really thankful that trade didn't go through. In essence it would've been:

Winslow

for

Rozier
Hunter + Mickey (assuming these picks would've been part of the Hawks trade to land the #15)
Nets 2016 1st rd pick (potential top 5 pick)
Grizzles pick in 2019 (per Ainge's comments below)

I think they were just determined to take a guy that they liked. I think that they may regret end up not doing it in some of the cases,” Ainge said. “I think people make irrational choices in those situations, not knowing that a 2019 unprotected pick has great value.”

"Boston put Charlotte on the other end of a quantity-for-quality pitch," writes Lowe. "The Celtics offered four first-round picks for the chance to move up from No. 16 to No. 9: that 16th pick, No. 15 (acquired in a prearranged contingency deal with the Hawks), one unprotected future Brooklyn pick, and a future first-rounder from either the Grizzlies or Timberwolves, per sources familiar with the talks."
Did the Celtics also offer #15, #16, an unprotected Brooklyn 1st and the Grizzlies pick to Miami who chose Winslow at #10.  They should have if indeed they were after Winslow??  Did they also turn down that monster offer?  Chicago traded what #16 and #19 for #11 the year before.  That Brooklyn pick thrown in there screams there was something much bigger going on!
If you font believe the rumor that ainge wanted Winslow with the pick ( which is the prevailing thought) then why do you believe any part of the rumor, including which picks might have been involved?  Inconsistent thinking.

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2015, 02:18:51 AM »

Online The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
Winslow could very well be the next Stacey Augmon. He only goes left, is undersized, and can't shoot. He also could overpower players on the college level, but not at this one.

Winslow

for

Rozier
Hunter + Mickey (assuming these picks would've been part of the Hawks trade to land the #15)

I think they were just determined to take a guy that they liked. I think that they may regret end up not doing it in some of the cases,” Ainge said. “I think people make irrational choices in those situations, not knowing that a 2019 unprotected pick has great value.”

"Boston put Charlotte on the other end of a quantity-for-quality pitch," writes Lowe. "The Celtics offered four first-round picks for the chance to move up from No. 16 to No. 9: that 16th pick, No. 15 (acquired in a prearranged contingency deal with the Hawks), one unprotected future Brooklyn pick, and a future first-rounder from either the Grizzlies or Timberwolves, per sources familiar with the talks."
Did the Celtics also offer #15, #16, an unprotected Brooklyn 1st and the Grizzlies pick to Miami who chose Winslow at #10.  They should have if indeed they were after Winslow??  Did they also turn down that monster offer?  Chicago traded what #16 and #19 for #11 the year before.  That Brooklyn pick thrown in there screams there was something much bigger going on!
If you font believe the rumor that ainge wanted Winslow with the pick ( which is the prevailing thought) then why do you believe any part of the rumor, including which picks might have been involved?  Inconsistent thinking.
Um I guess I will try to answer this even though it doesn't make an ounce of sense.  The thought that the C's were drafting Winslow is pure speculation.  There has been ZERO evidence that was their intention.  On the other hand the C's were most certainly trying to move up in the draft and had made numerous offers to other teams.  That is not speculation nor rumor it has been reported by many sources including people from the Celtics.  The exact pick offers has never really been confirmed and there probably were also players discussed in the talks also.

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2015, 06:51:26 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Winslow

for

Rozier

Um I guess I will try to answer this even though it doesn't make an ounce of sense.  The thought that the C's were drafting Winslow is pure speculation.  There has been ZERO evidence that was their intention.  On the other hand the C's were most certainly trying to move up in the draft and had made numerous offers to other teams.  That is not speculation nor rumor it has been reported by many sources including people from the Celtics.  The exact pick offers has never really been confirmed and there probably were also players discussed in the talks also.

The consensus reporting was that Ainge was trting to oroginally move up for Okafur. This was reported less.

But the common understanding is that Ainge wanted Winslow badly once he fell to 8th +

You could say that there's no evidence for any 'supposed' trades unless they actually happen and there's plenty of reporting speculation from some reasonably reputable sources that all say Winslow was the target.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2015, 07:05:59 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Teams try to trade up in the draft so they can take a specific player, not just to have a higher pick for the same of having a higher pick.

There was plenty of talk from credible reporters about the Celtics trying to move up for every pick up until Winslow was picked.  There were no rumors of the Celtics trying to trade up for one of the slots after Winslow was picked.  The most likely explanation for this is that Ainge wanted to draft Winslow.

Afterwards, it was reported that the Celtics entertained the idea of trying to trade down but were worried that Rozier wouldn't be available past the Rockets at 18.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2015, 07:54:42 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

1.  It came out after the draft that the C's had a deal to acquire Atlanta's #15 pick.  After the C's could not trade up the pick went to Wash. via N.Y. sending Hardaway and 2 2nds to Atl..  It is likely this trade was a part of a larger trade between the C's and N.Y. and that Hardaway was always the player going to Atlanta.

Why is it likely that this would have been a larger trade with NY?  The pick was reportedly going to Atlanta.  They may have flipped it, but that has nothing to do with the Celts.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2015, 08:02:52 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Afterwards, it was reported that the Celtics entertained the idea of trying to trade down but were worried that Rozier wouldn't be available past the Rockets at 18.

Rozier would have been a pretty sweet fit next to Harden. Top ball-handling and playmaking two guard to take some of the PG responsibilities of Rozier's plate and let Rozier concentrate on what he does best - scoring the ball and playing defense.

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2015, 08:22:38 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
The more times I see what we offered Charlotte, the more astonished I am they turned us down.  It made sense that Miami wouldn't be interested.  With that team, they're still looking to win know.  But Charlotte has been a bad team for years and, looking at their talent in the best possible light, they might develop into a team that fights for the 5th or 6th seed in the playoffs.

Ainge was offering them a chance to hugely increase their stockpile of assets, giving them a much better chance at making the moves they need to make to become a legitimate contender.  And they passed that up for a guy who might never be more than a stretch big off the bench?

Mike
TP for you. I would rather have Stanley Johnson than Winslow anyway. 

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2015, 01:50:58 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'm glad the trade didn't go down because we would have given up too many assets.  But the news outlets consistently reported that we wanted to move up for Winslow, not Kaminsky or Myles Turner.

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2015, 05:58:40 PM »

Online The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597

1.  It came out after the draft that the C's had a deal to acquire Atlanta's #15 pick.  After the C's could not trade up the pick went to Wash. via N.Y. sending Hardaway and 2 2nds to Atl..  It is likely this trade was a part of a larger trade between the C's and N.Y. and that Hardaway was always the player going to Atlanta.

Why is it likely that this would have been a larger trade with NY?  The pick was reportedly going to Atlanta.  They may have flipped it, but that has nothing to do with the Celts.

What were the C's going to send to Atlanta to acquire that #15 pick?  I have never heard even speculation on this.  It would make a lot more sense for the C's to just slide into this trade in place of Washington and send assets to N.Y., Hardaway and a modest pick or 2 to Atlanta.  This would also make a ton of sense if the Celtics had a trade with N.Y. lined up for Porzingis sending Winslow and whatever else in return.

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2015, 06:51:48 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

What were the C's going to send to Atlanta to acquire that #15 pick?  I have never heard even speculation on this.  It would make a lot more sense for the C's to just slide into this trade in place of Washington and send assets to N.Y., Hardaway and a modest pick or 2 to Atlanta.  This would also make a ton of sense if the Celtics had a trade with N.Y. lined up for Porzingis sending Winslow and whatever else in return.

Wouldn't be surprised if the player Ainge was targeting in a potential move up to the Knicks spot would've been Hezonja.

Danny Ainge ( president of operations for the Celtics ) collects firsthand information about some of the players that sound in all the pools to get elected high in 2015. Yesterday was the Palau watching the Barcelona Galatasaray Euroleague and their presence in Barcelona is basically due to Mario Hezonja, the Croatian jewel that meets next week 20 years.

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2015, 07:01:19 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
"According to a source inside the Celtics front office, the team targeted Justise Winslow as high as No. 4, and tried to grab him again when he was still available at No. 9. But a major offer loaded with draft picks – Ainge hinted it might have included at least one of Brooklyn's future unprotected first-rounders – wasn't enough to get the Charlotte Hornets to pass on the opportunity to draft Frank Kaminsky."

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/06/boston_celtics_draft_rumors_da.html
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague