Author Topic: D. Howard - "I was basically playing with a torn MCL and meniscus"  (Read 1136 times)

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: D. Howard - "I was basically playing with a torn MCL and meniscus"
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 04:27:30 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Meanwhile DRose is out yet again...
IDK why people dont like DH, hes one of my favorite NBA players both in game and personality.

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 04:41:54 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
IDK why people dont like DH, hes one of my favorite NBA players both in game and personality.

Maybe because he won the Dunk Contest, when he didn't actually Dunk the ball. ;-)
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 05:50:15 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Say what you want about Dwight, but I don't think he's ever been soft.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 05:53:00 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Probably because he was one the prominent players in our way during the New Three era.

Old rivalries die hard.

EDIT: He also didn't exact handle himself in the best manner towards the end of his Magic tenure.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 06:15:37 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Probably because he was one the prominent players in our way during the New Three era.

Old rivalries die hard.

EDIT: He also didn't exact handle himself in the best manner towards the end of his Magic tenure.

I never really felt like Howard and the Magic "stood in the way," since they were never a really serious threat.  They beat us once, but that was when KG was injured and it still took them 7 games.  Imagine that -- the Celts without KG were good enough to take the eventual Eastern Conference champ to 7 games.

Anyway, I agree that he handled himself poorly at the end of his tenure with the Magic.  That's what bothers me most about him.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 06:19:03 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

Howard lives an unvirtuous lifestyle (8 baby mommas so far) that directly contrasts how he was initially branded (the new, consummate, Christian-high-school, always-smiling superstar!). That was a turn off for some of his initial supporters. He seems to have a problem with conflicts, and he can only deal with them through laughing and playing them off. I have some friends like this; it is very annoying, especially when you get caught in the heat of the moment during something competitive while they are laughing. He was the scapegoat of the league in 2012 when he handled the Magic situation poorly, and the national media based in LA hates him because he left the Lakers high and dry. He also has never worked on free throws or improved his game (like Blake Griffin has) at all.

However, I actually like Howard as a player. I always wanted him on the Celtics to pair with Rondo. I'm rooting for him to win a ring. I think a lot of his issues are media-related, from LA newspapers reporting everything negative to Shaq absolutely destroying his image (for no reason other than personal competitiveness) on TV. 

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 08:55:06 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

Howard lives an unvirtuous lifestyle (8 baby mommas so far) that directly contrasts how he was initially branded (the new, consummate, Christian-high-school, always-smiling superstar!). That was a turn off for some of his initial supporters. He seems to have a problem with conflicts, and he can only deal with them through laughing and playing them off. I have some friends like this; it is very annoying, especially when you get caught in the heat of the moment during something competitive while they are laughing. He was the scapegoat of the league in 2012 when he handled the Magic situation poorly, and the national media based in LA hates him because he left the Lakers high and dry. He also has never worked on free throws or improved his game (like Blake Griffin has) at all.

However, I actually like Howard as a player. I always wanted him on the Celtics to pair with Rondo. I'm rooting for him to win a ring. I think a lot of his issues are media-related, from LA newspapers reporting everything negative to Shaq absolutely destroying his image (for no reason other than personal competitiveness) on TV.
I think that was a great breakdown as why people don't care for him, and I basically feel the same way.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008