Author Topic: Avery Bradley an All Star?  (Read 15034 times)

Avery Bradley an All Star?
« on: October 09, 2015, 04:16:01 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
You guys have mostly dissed Avery. I think he is going to be an All Star. I am glad to see his play start off well. We shall see if I am right. He is only 24 years old. He was the # 2 recruit out of High School. I am pulling for it because I believe in AB.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

Re: Avery Bradley an All Star?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 05:06:16 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Bradley has a much, much, much higher chance of making an All-Defensive team than he does an All-Star team, like probably a 50% chance to a 0.0001% chance. Other than being an above average shooter, he doesn't do enough offensively since he can't really penetrate or create for others.

Actually, I think Bradley and Smart sharing the floor together is a detriment to their chances of being included on either of the All-Defensive teams. I mean, legitimately, we might have two of the top five perimeter guard defensive players in the league in our starting backcourt.

The only true chances of an All-Star this year are IT and Lee, and perhaps in the next year or two Smart will make enough improvements offensively to start being considered All-Star material.

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 02:29:55 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
The All-Star team is based on votes, therefore voters will look mainly at offensive numbers.  I doubt that AB is ever going to be putting up the kind of offensive numbers to get him selected.  If he can bring his defensive play back up, I could see him being NBA all-second defense though.

And trust me, I'm not dissing AB, I'd like to see him do well.  If he puts up 15ppg with great defense and efficient shooting, he will really help this team going forward, but that's probably his ceiling offensively.  He's never going to put up gaudy James Harden type numbers.

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 02:41:13 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
The only way I see him ever making an all star game is as a Coaches selection to the reserves if the Celtics had a top 4-5 record in the conference at the time of the voting.
If he was putting up decent numbers and playing high level defense I could see him as an outside chance to make it.
It would help his cause if he could get his 3 pt % up close to 40 and steals up so they can justify it numbers wise.

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 04:55:31 PM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
I am a big AB fan and hope he isn't used as a trade piece down the track to bring in an 'All Star' player. I concur with with other comments that AB is a very good player with a lot to contribute but below the All Star' level. I will be happy if down the track the OP can say 'I told you so' when AB makes an AS team.

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 06:08:56 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
The All-Star team is based on votes, therefore voters will look mainly at offensive numbers.  I doubt that AB is ever going to be putting up the kind of offensive numbers to get him selected.  If he can bring his defensive play back up, I could see him being NBA all-second defense though.

And trust me, I'm not dissing AB, I'd like to see him do well.  If he puts up 15ppg with great defense and efficient shooting, he will really help this team going forward, but that's probably his ceiling offensively.  He's never going to put up gaudy James Harden type numbers.

Since it is safe to assume he won't be a starter on the all star team, the voting would come from coaches, not fans. If the C's pick up where they left off last year, if Bradley scores an extra 2 points per game, and if improves his percentages a bit, he stands an excellent chance of making the all star team. I'd say there is a decent chance that can happen.

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 12:02:05 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Bradley has a much, much, much higher chance of making an All-Defensive team than he does an All-Star team, like probably a 50% chance to a 0.0001% chance. Other than being an above average shooter, he doesn't do enough offensively since he can't really penetrate or create for others.

You do realise Kyle Korver made the team last year, yeah?  I mean sure he is an elite shooter, but shooting quite literally the ONLY thing he's above average at..

And the last time Ray Allen made the team he had degraded to the point where he really didn't do much more than catch and shot.

Also to be honest the thing that has impressed me most about Bradley in the pre-season so far has actually been the improvements to his ball handling and passing.  He looks much more confident handling the ball, and his passes so far have been on point. 

In fact so far during the preseason Bradley is averaging 5.4 assists Per 36 Minutes and (even more impressive) 6 Assists Per Turnover.  His overall numbers so far (28 pts, 4.5 reb, 6 ast) Per 36 have been spectacular.

I don't by any means expect him to contribute at that level in the actual NBA season, but if he can put up something like 15/4/3.5 in 28 minutes while shooting 45% / 39% and playing his usual high caliber of defense...then an All-Star spot is well within reach.

I have my doubts as to whether he can do that (especially the assist numbers) but feel like he's been he's been steady improving his passing and ball handling confidence the past 12 months or so, so nothing is impossible.

Especially since the team is so deep now.  Last year Bradley was basically the teams go-to player on defense, a top 2 scoring option on offense AND the emotional/locker room leader of the team.  This year there are other guys to take over those roles (Smart/Johnson on D, Thomas/Lee on O and Lee /Johnson in the locker room, etc) so that is going to take a LOT of pressure off Bradley.  I think you'll find that he's going to play more loose, more confident and more aggressive.

I do think this is doing to be the best season of Bradley's career, but not sure if he'll go as far as All-Star.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 12:07:44 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 01:22:45 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

You do realise Kyle Korver made the team last year, yeah?  I mean sure he is an elite shooter, but shooting quite literally the ONLY thing he's above average at..

And the last time Ray Allen made the team he had degraded to the point where he really didn't do much more than catch and shot.

Also to be honest the thing that has impressed me most about Bradley in the pre-season so far has actually been the improvements to his ball handling and passing.  He looks much more confident handling the ball, and his passes so far have been on point. 

In fact so far during the preseason Bradley is averaging 5.4 assists Per 36 Minutes and (even more impressive) 6 Assists Per Turnover.  His overall numbers so far (28 pts, 4.5 reb, 6 ast) Per 36 have been spectacular.

I don't by any means expect him to contribute at that level in the actual NBA season, but if he can put up something like 15/4/3.5 in 28 minutes while shooting 45% / 39% and playing his usual high caliber of defense...then an All-Star spot is well within reach.

I have my doubts as to whether he can do that (especially the assist numbers) but feel like he's been he's been steady improving his passing and ball handling confidence the past 12 months or so, so nothing is impossible.

Especially since the team is so deep now.  Last year Bradley was basically the teams go-to player on defense, a top 2 scoring option on offense AND the emotional/locker room leader of the team.  This year there are other guys to take over those roles (Smart/Johnson on D, Thomas/Lee on O and Lee /Johnson in the locker room, etc) so that is going to take a LOT of pressure off Bradley.  I think you'll find that he's going to play more loose, more confident and more aggressive.

I do think this is doing to be the best season of Bradley's career, but not sure if he'll go as far as All-Star.

Fine post, TP. Agree with JP that an AS season for Bradley is very unlikely and not intending to contend that, but agree with your broader perspective as well. Only thing I will add is that if we were to become a top 4 seed worthy of an AS reserve, it would probably require a more significant break-out season from someone other than AB -- Smart, IT, or Lee.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 01:39:41 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
The reason why Korver was an All Star was because the Hawks were very, very good. I doubt the Celtics will be half of the team the Hawks were last year.

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 01:57:55 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Actually, I think Bradley and Smart sharing the floor together is a detriment to their chances of being included on either of the All-Defensive teams. I mean, legitimately, we might have two of the top five perimeter guard defensive players in the league in our starting backcourt.

The only true chances of an All-Star this year are IT and Lee, and perhaps in the next year or two Smart will make enough improvements offensively to start being considered All-Star material.

I agree potter, tough to see Smart making and crazy leaps on offensive any time soon.

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 02:24:29 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
The reason why Korver was an All Star was because the Hawks were very, very good. I doubt the Celtics will be half of the team the Hawks were last year.

Exactly, and if I remember right he actually was a reserve that only made it after injuries.

In addition to being on an excellent team, both Korver and Allen had *elite* shooting skills that made up for their relative deficiencies in other parts of the game. Other than defense, which unfortunately doesn't really translate all that well to All-Star appearances, Bradley doesn't have an elite skill to make up for the other "meh" parts of his game, in addition to not being on a nearly historically good team.

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 09:40:09 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Avery Bradley an All Star?

Funny guy detected  ;D

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 06:25:26 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

This is true, but the Hawks had what four All Stars last year as a result of that record?

* Jeff Teague: 15.9 PTS, 7.0 AST, 2.5 REB, 1.7 STL, 0.4 BLK, 46% FG, 34% 3PT, 86% FT
* Al Horford: 15.2 PTS, 7.2 REB, 3.2 AST, 0.9 STL, 1.3 BLK, 54% FG, 31% 3PT, 76% FT
* Paul Millsap: 16.7 PTS, 7.8 REB, 3.1 AST, 1.8 STL, 0.9 BLK, 48% FG, 36% 2PT, 76% FT
* Kyle Korver: 12.1 PTS, 4.1 REB, 2.6 AST, 0.7 STL, 0.6 BLK, 49% FG, 49% 3PT, 90% FT

None of those numbers really stand out as being All-Star worthy number if you look at them in isolation.

I don't expect Boston being a top 2-4 seed, but if they fall somewhere between 5-6 then teams who fall in that range tend to get a 'token' All-Star selection or two by default.   If that happens for Boston, then which 1 or 2 players on the Celtics roster is most likely to make it?

Thomas is certain to have a big impact, but how often have you seen a bench player make an All-Star team?  It's pretty rare.  Even if you look at the 6MOTY winners over the years, I can't recall the last one that made it. Maybe Manu Ginobilli for the Spurs?

So chances are it would be one of the starters, and right now the starting lineup looks to be Smart, Bradley, Crowder, Lee, Zeller.

Out of those guys we can confidently say Crowder has no hope, and Zeller also has close to no hope.

That leaves Smart, Bradley and Lee.

Smart could have a breakout year potentially, but while I can see him having a much better year, I don't see him having anything close to an All-Star year. 

That leaves Bradley and Lee, who I believe are the most "all-star worthy" players on the Celtics.  Lee because he can have a massive impact on offense and on the boards.  Bradley because he can have a huge impact on offense and on defense.

In fact looking at the results over the first two summer league games, David Lee and Avery Bradley seem to clearly stand out as the two best players on the team.  I suspect that will carry over to the regular season, and I think those two guys will be the clear leaders of that first unit. 

Again though, this all assumes that the improvements Bradley is showing in pre-season are not a fluke (the improved passing, ball handling, outside shooting) because if he's legitimately made huge improvements to those parts of his game, then he's going to be one hell of a player.

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 08:01:08 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I agree that Atlanta's record helped Korver a lot, but the descriptions here are selling him short. He had arguably the best outside shooting splits of ALL-TIME leading up to the All-Star game. He was shooting 52% from 3PT on six attempts per game and 91% from the line. His TS% was over 70!

He also averaged more rebounds and more assists than Bradley (4 and 3), and his Defensive RPM was above average, contrary to the assumption that he's a terrible defender.

I don't know if Korver will ever play that well for 50 games again, but it was an All-Star worthy performance that was more than just a little hot shooting and luck.

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2015, 07:03:29 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
I agree that Atlanta's record helped Korver a lot, but the descriptions here are selling him short. He had arguably the best outside shooting splits of ALL-TIME leading up to the All-Star game. He was shooting 52% from 3PT on six attempts per game and 91% from the line. His TS% was over 70!

He also averaged more rebounds and more assists than Bradley (4 and 3), and his Defensive RPM was above average, contrary to the assumption that he's a terrible defender.

I don't know if Korver will ever play that well for 50 games again, but it was an All-Star worthy performance that was more than just a little hot shooting and luck.
You can not tell me you would rather have Teague over Bradley. He was an all star last year.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek