Author Topic: DLeague and our young guys  (Read 1772 times)

DLeague and our young guys
« on: October 09, 2015, 01:22:00 PM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
IMHO the DL is only for players who CLEARLY do not belong on an NBA team!  I think, in general, it causes players to pick up bad habits(not playing any D at all, chucking, ignoring the passing game in order to pad their own stats---they are, after all, in most cases trying to get noticed!).
In that vein, the only young player on our team that belongs there is James Young!  He, right now, still looks like a mess to me!  He just isn't getting it!  No flow, or IQ to his game.  Yeah, he built up his body this off season, but it just doesn't seem, skillwise, anything else is different.  We've had several SL games, and now 2 games abroad to watch him.  Nothing to give me encouragement!
RJ and TR look like they should be in the rotation right now!  Even JM hasn't seemed overwhelmed by the competition so far!
Think all but JY would benefit more from limited minutes, if need be, or practicing against our veterans far more than the DL!

Re: DLeague and our young guys
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 01:27:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
You're wrong about the D-League.  Was true once, not so anymore.  The D-League is for players who might make it in the league but aren't ready yet, or young players whose teams are just too stocked with talent to give them minutes.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 01:30:33 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
Calm down with the exclamation marks.

My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 01:39:03 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I think Young is the only player on the team who really would most benefit from an extended stint in the D league. That's where I've penciled him in at least until the trade deadline.

Figuring that there'll likely be an average of at least one guy out on injury for every given game, then the three rooks do get to suit up as the deep bench anyway. They're also going to be good for practices, when one or more players is likely to rest some strain or other.

So they'll be at the very least third-stringers on the big team, getting spot minutes. They'll also step up for injury fill in and for special situations--e.g., when Rozier's the best defender on a fast PG, RJH's shooting is needed, etc. I think a couple of them could also break through to be regular rotation players by the year's end. (Rozier, I'm looking at you.)

I agree--the rooks will by and large be better off with the big club--and that's where we'll find them.

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 01:51:32 PM »

Offline NJCeltsFan

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Since the rookies and Young aren't going to get much run, why wouldn't we want to play them together in the D-League. Bring them up as needed to cover injuries and bring them to Boston during longer homestands to practice with the big boys.

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 02:00:32 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
IMHO the DL is only for players who CLEARLY do not belong on an NBA team!  I think, in general, it causes players to pick up bad habits(not playing any D at all, chucking, ignoring the passing game in order to pad their own stats---they are, after all, in most cases trying to get noticed!).
In that vein, the only young player on our team that belongs there is James Young!  He, right now, still looks like a mess to me!  He just isn't getting it!  No flow, or IQ to his game.  Yeah, he built up his body this off season, but it just doesn't seem, skillwise, anything else is different.  We've had several SL games, and now 2 games abroad to watch him.  Nothing to give me encouragement!
RJ and TR look like they should be in the rotation right now!  Even JM hasn't seemed overwhelmed by the competition so far!
Think all but JY would benefit more from limited minutes, if need be, or practicing against our veterans far more than the DL!
i am unsure of your logic. on the one hand you claim the dleague is deadly for a player's development - chucking, no d, etc.

then, on the other hand, you say young lacks nba skills right now so he should go to the dleague...the very league you deride as teaching bad habits and being a terrible play to learn good basketball.

also, the story you tell is not accurate as far as nba players on dleague teams, at least for the celtics. the coaching there very much is focused on developing players.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 02:14:01 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Unless there is a trade I'd send them all to DL. Let them get some reps and PT in. As of right now C's have a 11 man rotation without factoring Rozier, Mickey, Hunter and Young.
(Minutes est)
PG rotation = Smart(20), IT(28), Turner(jic)
SG rotation = AB(28), Turner(12), Smart( 8 )
SF rotation = Turner(12), Crowder(22), Jerekbo(14)
PF rotation = Lee(18), AJ(18), Sully(12)
C rotation = Zeller(22), KO(16), AJ(5), Sully (5)

No one plays more than 28 minutes or less than 14 minutes.

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 04:01:06 PM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
You're wrong about the D-League.  Was true once, not so anymore.  The D-League is for players who might make it in the league but aren't ready yet, or young players whose teams are just too stocked with talent to give them minutes.

I should have clarified my statement to say do not AT THE PRESENT TIME belong on an NBA team.  Sure through hard work a few may take themselves to the next level, but I think it's more on the individual, than the coaching.  If a player hasn't learned to dribble with his right hand after high school, college and a year in the pros, he's probably not going to.  BBIQ isn't something that is coached.  Players without great athleticism can be great ballplayers, but without a feel for the game, athleticism is not enough on its own.  Seems to be where JY is right now.  I hope it clicks for him while he's still on the C's---I just don't see it.

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 04:02:55 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I can't believe you just got neg'd by a person called "positivize."

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 04:09:59 PM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
i am unsure of your logic. on the one hand you claim the dleague is deadly for a player's development - chucking, no d, etc.

then, on the other hand, you say young lacks nba skills right now so he should go to the dleague...the very league you deride as teaching bad habits and being a terrible play to learn good basketball.

also, the story you tell is not accurate as far as nba players on dleague teams, at least for the celtics. the coaching there very much is focused on developing players.

JY's skills are not NBA ready, so outside of just waiving him, the DL would be the best option if he even makes the roster instead of PJ3.  Personally I wouldn't keep either, and go with a 14 man roster.  Doubt the C's would eat two contracts, however!  I'd just leave JY in Maine, not shuttling him back and forth.  Show us you can do more than shoot threes in a league that hardly plays D!

Actually for JY, I think he'd be better served getting released and going to Europe.  It's a much better brand of BB than the DL.  He might salvage a career that looks to be begining to circle the drain.  I hope not for him, as he seems like a good kid.

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 05:11:08 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Barring injuries, I expect all the rookies to spend the bulk of the season in D-League.  Rozier has gotten minutes against the Euros and looked good against them.  Mainly the minutes have been there, because everyone gets minutes in pre-season and Turner has been out.

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 05:48:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

;D
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 09:02:45 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel

What can I say! We all have our pet peeves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

ugh.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier