Author Topic: Crazy Tyler Zeller comparison  (Read 4853 times)

Crazy Tyler Zeller comparison
« on: October 09, 2015, 01:04:10 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
First off, I think Tyler needs to be resigned ASAP. He's too skilled of a 7footer to risk trying to replace. On defense, I think he was a top 10 rim-protector last year and he's always been underrated in that aspect.

Would it be too crazy to compare him to Marc Gasol? If you look at their stats at ages 25-26 in the league, they are extremely similar. They also both entered the league at a later age than most  draftees. What's stopping Tyler from reaching the same level as Marc Gasol when he reaches his late 20s?
Skill-wise, he's even with a young Marc Gasol.
Defensively, he'll only get better with rotations and reads.
Physically, he'll continue to get stronger.
Intangibles, this I cannot predict. Tyler may or may not ever have the same level of "toughness" that Marc's known for now.

For those that care to compare
Marc stats: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gasolma01.html
Tyler stats: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/z/zellety01.html
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

Re: Crazy Tyler Zeller comparison
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 01:10:56 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Marc Gasol, its more like Mark Blount

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 01:14:45 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
because why
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 01:19:10 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

You can always compare players! In this case, though, I think the comparison shows that Gasol more than outclassed Zeller in every respect when Gasol was Zeller's age.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&y1=2015&p1=zellety01&y2=2010&p2=gasolma01&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=#advanced::none

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 01:20:36 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
A good comp for Tyler Zeller is Robin Lopez.

Marc Gasol?  No.  No.  Let's leave it at that.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 01:27:45 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum

I would really like as to reasons why not? I watched those early memphis teams, it's not like it was obvious that Marc would become the player he is today. Also, Robin Lopez can't shoot like Tyler.

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 01:34:08 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I would really like as to reasons why not? I watched those early memphis teams, it's not like it was obvious that Marc would become the player he is today. Also, Robin Lopez can't shoot like Tyler.

They are completely different players.  In talent, physical profile, skillset, playstyle, and so on.   There is no comparison other than that they are white, approximately 7 feet tall, and play the same position.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 01:35:40 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Yup. You're right. That's crazy.

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 02:23:01 PM »

Offline KingofDaPlayazBall

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13
That comparison is laughable, and completely disrespectful to marc gasol.  Marc gasol is the best defensive center in the league, while Zeller is softer than tissues and ducks out of the way when opponents attack the basket.

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 02:32:26 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
because why
Zeller is an offensive center that will disappear at times on the court. He will also often get out rebounded and pushed around. That is more Mark Blount than a defensive first, high low post capable, large, scrappy, load of a player that Marc Gasol is.

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 03:46:32 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

Lopez is a great comp, but sort of in reverse. Zeller is a really skilled offensive Center, with limited defensive capabilities, and Lopez vice versa. Basically, they're both specialized, yet talented big men who should last in the league for a while. Overall, nice comp!
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 11:43:10 PM »

Offline hagar55voa

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
If the Celtics would look for Zeller more on offense, he would produce great numbers...Sadly though, he is not a priority in the Celtic's offense...Too many guards chucking up 3's instead of moving the ball around including everyone in the offense...Hopefully, this season will be better...You can have Gasol, I'll take Zeller and be happy...

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 09:27:38 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
If the Celtics would look for Zeller more on offense, he would produce great numbers...Sadly though, he is not a priority in the Celtic's offense...Too many guards chucking up 3's instead of moving the ball around including everyone in the offense...Hopefully, this season will be better...You can have Gasol, I'll take Zeller and be happy...
Zeller's got great hands but he can't create for himself. He just doesn't have that game. It might be worth using him in some more pick and roll stuff, though, because he does finish well around the rim. If there was a way to turn him into a less athletic Tyson Chandler (on offense) that would be terrific, but that's probably his ceiling.

Although I would say he's got a better chance at developing a consistent jump shot than Chandler ever had.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 09:41:01 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Marc Gasol's not white.

Lopez is a great comp, but sort of in reverse. Zeller is a really skilled offensive Center, with limited defensive capabilities, and Lopez vice versa. Basically, they're both specialized, yet talented big men who should last in the league for a while. Overall, nice comp!

Inverse Robin Lopez already plays in the league and it happens to be his twin brother. For simplicity's sake, why not just call Zeller a poor man's Brook?

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2015, 10:12:00 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I thought Zeller might be the odd man out in our crowded big rotation, but it looks like he is still the favorite to start. Unfortunately for him, that is where it seems to end - he plays the first 6-7 minutes of the game and of the 2nd half and then Stevens go a different direction with their rotations. This is a great way to start off strong defensively, but until he can prove he is at least the 2nd best big, those minutes may not increase so much.