Poll

Whose rebuild is better so far?

Boston
LA
Pretty even

Author Topic: Whose rebuild is better? BOS vs LAL  (Read 21694 times)

Re: Whose rebuild is better? BOS vs LAL
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2015, 04:56:33 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
I watched some of that Laker game last night--I think they'll be okay, once they play together for awhile--OR it could just blow up in their faces. Hibbert looked aggressive and pretty [dang] dominate on defense...Randle looked the best I've seen of him(Summer league-he looked awful).
Kobe looks old and fragile. Lou Williams is a good player, weird that Artest looked like he could still be an important player...He's been gone for like 2 years...no-?
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2015, 06:14:20 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Quote from: LarBrd33
I think if you see a Cousins trade, it could be for Randle + Hibbert (I think Hibbert has a 1 year 15 mil deal that makes it work financially).   From what I've seen of Randle so far (and it's still very early), the kid looks legit and his defensive "flaws" may in fact be overblown.

I'm sorry, but I'll just never understand your Randle fascination.
Well I think going into the draft there was a bit of a consensus (even from the Celtics) that Randle was the more talented prospect.  There remains people who believe Randle will be a 20/10 guy.  You clearly don't understand that.  It's fine if you don't understand it.  I'm just saying we will need to revisit this at some point.  This is a fluid situation.  A few months from now, you might understand it... or maybe he'll look like crap.

I'll say that in a very small irrelevant sample size over the past two games, he does seem to be a force offensively, a force on the glass and a potential impact defender.   You apparently think it's impossible that the 20 year old develops into a better basketball player than Marcus Smart.   I don't think it's impossible.

I didn't expect to see a kid with his size/strength taking the ball up the court the way he has over the past two games.  I'm rather surprised by his handles, passing and court awareness... it's something to keep an eye on.  Last two games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp9tESYuPc0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5HImQQHKgk

And I wouldn't rule out seeing him as the focus of a Cousins trade.

Fair enough. I just cannot fathom why you've pigeon-holed Smart as a defensive role player, yet you project Randle as a 20/10 star. I don't believe Randle will ever be a great basketball player, but I certainly recognize the possibility. It just seems as if you're extremely open to Randle being great, but you seem to think Marcus is done developing.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2015, 06:24:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I wouldn't call LAL's thing they are doing a rebuild. You need some sort of structure for a rebuild
Now that is pretty funny.  That said, LA won 21 games last year and has basically added Kobe, Hibbert, Bass, Lou Williams, Randle, and Russell to the rotation while losing Carlos Boozer, Jordan Hill, Jeremy Lin, Wesley Johnson, Ed Davis, and Wayne Ellington.  I'd say that is a major positive improvement, wouldn't you?

Improvement? Probably. Major?  Unsure. 

Really depends if any of those guys can play together at all.  Some major defensive question marks in there.  How far can you go with Brandon Bass and Roy Hibbert as your two best, experienced big men?  How strong an offense can you run through Lou Williams, Kobe Bryant, Nick Young, and a couple of inexperienced first and second year combo guards?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2015, 06:25:04 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think if you see a Cousins trade, it could be for Randle + Hibbert (I think Hibbert has a 1 year 15 mil deal that makes it work financially).   From what I've seen of Randle so far (and it's still very early), the kid looks legit and his defensive "flaws" may in fact be overblown.

Well I think going into the draft there was a bit of a consensus (even from the Celtics) that Randle was the more talented prospect.  There remains people who believe Randle will be a 20/10 guy.  You clearly don't understand that.  It's fine if you don't understand it.  I'm just saying we will need to revisit this at some point.  This is a fluid situation.  A few months from now, you might understand it... or maybe he'll look like crap.

I'll say that in a very small irrelevant sample size over the past two games, he does seem to be a force offensively, a force on the glass and a potential impact defender.   You apparently think it's impossible that the 20 year old develops into a better basketball player than Marcus Smart.   I don't think it's impossible.

I didn't expect to see a kid with his size/strength taking the ball up the court the way he has over the past two games.  I'm rather surprised by his handles, passing and court awareness... it's something to keep an eye on.  Last two games:

Fair enough. I just cannot fathom why you've pigeon-holed Smart as a defensive role player, yet you project Randle as a 20/10 star. I don't believe Randle will ever be a great basketball player, but I certainly recognize the possibility. It just seems as if you're extremely open to Randle being great, but you seem to think Marcus is done developing.
I haven't pigeon-holed Smart as a defensive role player.  I was leading the tank bandwagon in 2013-14 on the premise that there were probably 8 guys who could make an impact.   We ended up taking 8th on my list, but he was still on my list.  As I've said before in other threads, I was disappointed with Smart's rookie season.  He was pretty weak offensively.   Defensively, it's clear he's already an impact player.   I still think there's a chance he develops into a star.  There's a chance he ends up a defensive role-player, though.  He's not good offensively.

Randle should be an impact offensive player immediately.  Many expected him to be an abomination defensively... so perhaps the opposite of Smart.  But we'll have to see how Randles does his rookie season.   Despite the strong consensus around here, there's no guarantee that Smart ends up a better player than Julius Randle.  We'll have to revisit it at some point.   The Randle vs Smart thing isn't over yet.  Don't be shocked if people retroactively throw fits about passing up on Randle.  Unlike the Olynyk over Giannis thing (where people retroactively freak out, because Giannis has surpassed expectations), there was a pretty clear group who felt Randle was the better prospect heading into the draft.   It was a bold move taking Smart over him.

« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2015, 06:25:14 PM »

Offline FreddieJ

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 7

Randle has a long way to go before the Kings seek to deal a young top ten player for him. If you were the Kings you would do that? Even if the Lakers through in Russell the Kings wouldn't do that IMO

« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2015, 06:30:22 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Randle has a long way to go before the Kings seek to deal a young top ten player for him. If you were the Kings you would do that? Even if the Lakers through in Russell the Kings wouldn't do that IMO
If Cousins wants out, it's going to be the same as any other star trade... they'll look for elite prospects and draft picks.   If Lakers are willing to move Randle + Russell, nobody is going to out-bid them.   If Randle looks like a beast out of the gate (as he's looked in his past two games), that makes him as the centerpiece of a trade pretty plausible.   

I'm sure if Cousins becomes available and is willing to consider Boston, Ainge will do his darndest to make a competitive offer featuring Smart + Sully/Oly + multiple unprotected 1sts.  Maybe we'll outbid the Lakers in a Randle-centric trade.  Who knows.   But since I've seen Kings/Lakers linked in rumored trade discussions for a while, I'd say be on the lookout for a move there.  If Cousins wants to play on the Lakers, he'll probably end up on the Lakers.  They have desirable prospects.

« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2015, 06:55:58 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Well I think going into the draft there was a bit of a consensus (even from the Celtics) that Randle was the more talented prospect. There remains people who believe Randle will be a 20/10 guy.  You clearly don't understand that.  It's fine if you don't understand it.  I'm just saying we will need to revisit this at some point.  This is a fluid situation.  A few months from now, you might understand it... or maybe he'll look like crap.

So the Celtics thought Randle was the better prospect, but they took Smart? 

The consensus mock draft that the NBA.com had just before the draft had Smart at 6 and Randle at 7 and there were a lot of people who had differing opinions on Randle. There was widespread concern whether his offensive game was going to translate to the NBA and defensively he was considered awful. Per NBAdraft.net

One of the most polarizing prospects of this year's draft

« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2015, 06:59:00 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75

I didn't want to jump in but your fascination of Julius Randle is IMO crazy!!! You have a man-crush on Randle. Dude in a small sample size PJIII looked like Reggie Miller, but where is he now? barely hanging on to an NBA team. Randle and Hibbert for Cousins??? really the Kings would have to be out of their mind to do that deal. Randle IS NOT at this point nothing than an unproven rookie who is injury prone and has T-Rex arms. 2 good games is nothing. I won't judge him until AFTER this season is done.

« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2015, 07:06:48 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell

Well I think going into the draft there was a bit of a consensus (even from the Celtics) that Randle was the more talented prospect. There remains people who believe Randle will be a 20/10 guy.  You clearly don't understand that.  It's fine if you don't understand it.  I'm just saying we will need to revisit this at some point.  This is a fluid situation.  A few months from now, you might understand it... or maybe he'll look like crap.

The consensus mock draft that the NBA.com had just before the draft had Smart at 6 and Randle at 7 and there were a lot of people who had differing opinions on Randle. There was widespread concern whether his offensive game was going to translate to the NBA and defensively he was considered awful. Per NBAdraft.net

Thank you I was looking for proof to dispute the fact that Danny wanted Randle instead of Smart. I think there's some fabrication and misremembering going on by LarBrd33.

« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2015, 07:09:05 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Look, everything i've read suggested it came down to Smart or Randle.   They brought Smart in for a second workout, because not everyone in the organization was on the same page.   They admitted Randle was probably more talented, but Ainge liked Smart's mentality.  Also, even after Randle went down with an injury, Ainge was still trying to acquire him.  He tried trading Rondo the the Lakers, but he Lakers refused to give up Randle in the deal.

It makes sense why we went for Smart.  It was clear Rondo was on the way out.  We already had Oly/Sully.  Adding another PF didn't make a whole lot of sense if you felt like the two prospects were comparable.  Like I said, most would agree right now that SMart was the better choice.  As we look at LA vs Boston, it might be something we'll reconsider in a few years.  I don't think the Smart vs Randle debate is wrapped up after 1 underwhelming rookie season by Smart and 14 minutes of NBA basketball out of Randle.   Gotta wait to see.

« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2015, 07:14:40 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell

I can't believe that I'm actually spent time reviewing these vids just to disprove you LarBrd33. In most of the defensive sets, Randle is playing PF vs J Johnson, P Patterson and L Scola. I think that explains how Randle got his points.

« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2015, 07:22:45 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell

Look, everything i've read suggested it came down to Smart or Randle.   They brought Smart in for a second workout, because not everyone in the organization was on the same page.  They admitted Randle was probably more talented, but Ainge liked Smart's mentality. 

Also, even after Randle went down with an injury, Ainge was still trying to acquire him.  He tried trading Rondo the the Lakers, but he Lakers refused to give up Randle in the deal.

It makes sense why we went for Smart.  It was clear Rondo was on the way out.  We already had Oly/Sully.  Adding another PF didn't make a whole lot of sense if you felt like the two prospects were comparable.  Like I said, most would agree right now that SMart was the better choice.  As we look at LA vs Boston, it might be something we'll reconsider in a few years.  I don't think the Smart vs Randle debate is wrapped up after 1 underwhelming rookie season by Smart and 14 minutes of NBA basketball out of Randle.   Gotta wait to see.
Where is that proof? You keep saying it but its not true! Yes, Danny tried to get Randle for Rondo! Why??? You think it was because Danny truly wanted him, did you ever think that Ainge was serious in trying to acquire Randle? If I'm the Lakers, why would I give up a #7 pick (I'm not saying Randle was better than Smart) for a mercurial FA Pass first point guard with no jump shot? So that I can hope that Rondo loves LA and wants to resign their??? I wouldn't do it either. Classic low ball move by Ainge to get a prospect who wouldn't be playing for a year later. IF Danny would have acquired Randle he wouldn't have to worry about playing him for a year and the Sully/Oly PF experiment would have time to develop on whom the Celtics wanted to keep either Randle/Sully/Olynk.

« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2015, 07:29:46 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Look, everything i've read suggested it came down to Smart or Randle.   They brought Smart in for a second workout, because not everyone in the organization was on the same page.   They admitted Randle was probably more talented, but Ainge liked Smart's mentality.  Also, even after Randle went down with an injury, Ainge was still trying to acquire him.  He tried trading Rondo the the Lakers, but he Lakers refused to give up Randle in the deal.

Link for your claim in bold? NBA,com consensus draft had 12 drafts with not one of them having us taking Randle.

http://www.nba.com/news/2014-consensus-mock-draft/

« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2015, 07:30:48 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I agree that the debate isn't wrapped up yet.  My money's on Marcus. 

We sure seem to have lucked out in not quite tanking hard enough for Exum, though.  As I recall, people had Exum as the consensus fourth pick (with some even having him as high as third) leading into that draft.

Celtics fans were furious at the team for winning a couple of meaningless games late in the season because it meant losing out on the chance at the Australian future superstar. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2015, 08:28:32 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
We'll have to revisit this at some point.  Boston is closer to winning games right now, but Russell and Randle (yes Randle) both might be better long-term than our lone player with star potential (Smart). 

Our picks could make a big difference, though if Brooklyn and Dallas suck.

I think you have to give it to Boston right now.   Keep an eye on the Smart vs Randle debate, though.   A lot of folks liked Randle more before the draft.  I was one of them.  I got why we took Smart though... already had PF's and Rondo was on his way out.   Ainge himself has admitted that Randle had more talent, but he went with Smart, because he seemed to have the kind of mentality/drive that could turn an ok player into a great one.  For the past year, it's been a pretty one-sided argument with everyone unanimously believing Smart to be the better choice.   That debate isn't over.   Randle looks sensational in what I've seen so far.

Remember, Ainge wanted Randle back for another look in Boston.  He didn't come for the work-out.
That might have tipped the scales to Smart-a driven and aggressive player.  Randle has a boatloat of talent. It will be interesting if he can convert that into defined tangibles in  NBA play.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-