Poll

Whose rebuild is better so far?

Boston
LA
Pretty even

Author Topic: Whose rebuild is better? BOS vs LAL  (Read 21704 times)

Re: Whose rebuild is better? BOS vs LAL
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 10:38:29 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Lakers should have taken Okafor, but Russell has significantly more value around the league than anyone on Boston's roster and it isn't close.  Russell could be the centerpiece of a trade for someone like Cousins, no one on Boston even comes close to that level.  Boston has a significant edge in future draft picks though (though no one has any idea just how good those picks will be). 
Lakers could offer Russell, Randle, Clarkson, any other warm bodies and Kobe's little black book and that still wouldn't be enough to get Cousins. 

I'm not saying Smart, some other young guys and a lot of draft picks from the C's would get it done either but I'd lay odds the C's deal would get more consideration considering the volume of picks and the fact the picks aren't just tied to how the C's perform.

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 10:39:19 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Long term I think it's us.

They have better top end developmental talent right now with Randle and Russell. However, next draft we could have 3 lottery picks and they probably won't have any picks at all.

Really, I think our rebuild is on a better track because we are in the east and rebuilding there is easier.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 10:53:46 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
From a potential standpoint, it's LA. You have Randle plus the #2 pick in Russell from this past June's draft.

We have a #2 pick—Evan Turner.  ;)
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 10:58:43 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Ours, we don't have cance., I mean Kobe to poison it.

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2015, 11:24:27 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
From a potential standpoint, it's LA.  You have Randle plus the #2 pick in Russell from this past June's draft. 
If we are talking about potential and how good players will be in the future we should also take into account our picks in next years draft vs their lack of picks.

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2015, 11:26:21 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
From a potential standpoint, it's LA.  You have Randle plus the #2 pick in Russell from this past June's draft. 
If we are talking about potential and how good players will be in the future we should also take into account our picks in next years draft vs their lack of picks.

I was just going off actual players not future uncertainties.  Celtics certainly seemed better stocked in that regard, on paper.  The unknown is a) where those picks will be b) what the Celtics actually do with them and c) who they draft.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2015, 11:39:13 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Russell could be the centerpiece of a trade for someone like Cousins, no one on Boston even comes close to that level.   

Sacramento would be more likely to trade Cousins for Smart and Sully than for Russell and anyone else on the Lakers' roster.  Granted, it would be a 0.1% chance instead of a 0.01% chance.

Mike

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2015, 11:41:25 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
I think there was 1 legit potential superstar in last years draft and 8 or 9 very solid players. I don't think Russell is such a good prospect that he trumps all the C's current and future assets.

By the way, we also have a major edge in how we manage our team.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2015, 12:04:35 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't think Russell is such a good prospect that he trumps all the C's current and future assets.

He has not shown one sign of being a dominant player and looks more like a system guy, so far.   If I was LA I would be nervous, sure he is a rookie and all but should not he look good against other rookies?

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2015, 12:10:20 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

I was just going off actual players not future uncertainties.  Celtics certainly seemed better stocked in that regard, on paper.  The unknown is a) where those picks will be b) what the Celtics actually do with them and c) who they draft.
Yeah, I agree that off actual players they have more potential than ours, just want to throw out the caveat that it probably shifts in our favor in the next few years as we could have 8 firsts in the next 3 years and the Lakers will only have 2.

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2015, 12:11:31 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Here's one way to think about it. If offered a complete trade of organizations - players, picks, GM, coach - today, would you do it? Ours for theirs.

For me it's a clear "no." Mostly because of Ainge and Stevens.

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2015, 12:12:01 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
I don't think Russell is such a good prospect that he trumps all the C's current and future assets.

He has not shown one sign of being a dominant player and looks more like a system guy, so far.   If I was LA I would be nervous, sure he is a rookie and all but should not he look good against other rookies?
I wouldn't go that far he's definitely a great prospect, just not a sell the farm type of prospect.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2015, 12:31:47 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

I wouldn't go that far he's definitely a great prospect, just not a sell the farm type of prospect.

I would honestly much rather have Smart than Russell, and I think many GMs would as well. Smart is set for a breakout season. He just takes over a game on both ends of the floor.

I think the Lakers made two major mistakes in their rebuild. #1: they kept Kobe and signed him to a big contract , which not only hampered their cap, and hurt the development of other guys, but prevented them from getting value for him in a trade like the Celtics did with KG and Pierce.

#2: passing up Okafor to take Russell will haunt them for years. I think they did so because they thought they were going to be able to trade for Cousins and/or sign Aldridge or Love to compete now with Kobe, but it was a very dumb move.

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2015, 01:18:10 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
Russell has a TON of skill and if he keeps developing that he could definitely be a great player. I'm not sure he has the body to get to the rim or play D in the NBA. It will be interesting to see how he develops.
I'm forum!

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2015, 01:50:01 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

I would honestly much rather have Smart than Russell, and I think many GMs would as well. Smart is set for a breakout season. He just takes over a game on both ends of the floor.

I think the Lakers made two major mistakes in their rebuild. #1: they kept Kobe and signed him to a big contract , which not only hampered their cap, and hurt the development of other guys, but prevented them from getting value for him in a trade like the Celtics did with KG and Pierce.

#2: passing up Okafor to take Russell will haunt them for years. I think they did so because they thought they were going to be able to trade for Cousins and/or sign Aldridge or Love to compete now with Kobe, but it was a very dumb move.
Haven't followed Russell at all but I'm not sure Smart will ever take over on both ends of the floor, much less do it this year.  From what I see he remains a below average offensive player and I believe this limitation will stay with him throughout his career.