Poll

Whose rebuild is better so far?

Boston
LA
Pretty even

Author Topic: Whose rebuild is better? BOS vs LAL  (Read 21647 times)

Whose rebuild is better? BOS vs LAL
« on: October 09, 2015, 12:57:03 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Both teams have struggled for a few seasons now, but Boston looks to be turning it around. Lakers have the young talent, but it's still unclear what they're gonna be

BOS has the amalgam of young players and veterans, as well as a great coach, a savage GM, and lots of picks. We do have some logjams but that can be considered depth. We're also expected to be a returning playoff team, but as of right now it looks like we are stuck as a middle of the pack team. We have the cap space to get big names next year, but that's a long way away

LAL has the high draft selections in Russell and Randle, and promising 2nd round pick in Clarkson. So far Randle and Clarkson has looked good in preseason, Russell not so much. Kobe is obviously there, and taking up cap space, so, yeah. Coaching wise not as good as us, but I think their players have more potential to become all stars than ours. And, LA will always be in FA discussion, like any year.

Which team is making the better rebuild, and more importantly, which team will win a title first?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

Re: Whose rebuild is better? BOS vs LAL
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 02:44:47 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Too early to say which team will win a title first, IMO.

That said, I think Boston is far and away better set-up from it's rebuild than LA is in just about every category. When it comes to organization/front office were light years ahead of them. We have one of of the best young coaches around in Stevens, they have Byron friggen Scott. We have a much better young team with a larger collection of good young players than they do. We have a lot more in the way of "tradeable assets" on our roster in the likes of young prospects, vets on expiring/non-guaranteed deals and a plethora of draft picks in multiple years. LAL has to give it's pick to Philly this year while we could realistically go into the 2016 draft with a top 5-7 pick, a top 8-12 pick and another top 20 pick.

LA will always be a talked-about FA destination and who knows, maybe the end up signing someone major in the next couple years but I'm just not sure NBA players look at the current state of the Lakers FO/Ownership or their current collection of non-Kobe talent and say "Yeah, I wanna go play there". They sure haven't in the last couple years at least. I understand were not exactly a prime FA target ourselves, but there's a lot of truth to all the talk about Stevens being highly regarded in player circles and if this team improves to a 46/47 win 5th seed and makes the 2nd round, that conversation may change a bit.

Even if you go on "high-end talent" alone, the one thing every Negative Nancy on CB will point out, do they really have much of that anyway? Russell hasn't exactly set the world on fire so far (of course, it's super early) but we know very little about how good he's gonna be. Same with Randle, and I've always felt like Randle has too many limitations to be a star. Personally, I think it's quite possible we have the better guard prospect in Smart and a far better collection of young talent when you include Sullinger, Olynyk, Rozier, Hunter, Mickey and Young. Plus we'll have multiple good-decent 1sts coming next year.

Even if I wasn't a die-hard C's fan, I would be saying that Boston has done a much better job with their rebuild so far.

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 08:10:59 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
LA has Randle and Russell.  That  alone means they have the better rebuild right now.  That said, they don't own their 1st this year and Boston has a ton of future 1sts coming its way so Boston has a lot more future assets in place, but as of now Randle and Russell give LA the edge.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 08:37:01 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
LA has Randle and Russell.  That  alone means they have the better rebuild right now.  That said, they don't own their 1st this year and Boston has a ton of future 1sts coming its way so Boston has a lot more future assets in place, but as of now Randle and Russell give LA the edge.
Randle and Russell haven't shown anything yet so I can't see the logic in that. 

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 08:53:16 AM »

Offline MrMorrill

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9

My thoughts exactly, they could both turnout to be busts or be stars you never really know. But if you look at the layout from the Randle/Smart draft I'd say the Celtics are currently in a better position. Again it's still a little to early to tell.

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 08:54:58 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Yeah, I don't see how Randle and Russell are better than Smart plus whoever you want to add out of Sullinger , Olynyk, Mickey, or Zeller.

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 08:58:25 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Yeah, I don't see how Randle and Russell are better than Smart plus whoever you want to add out of Sullinger , Olynyk, Mickey, or Zeller.

I mean, they could be better for sure, but neither one has successfully completed a full regular-season game.  We know Randle's story, but Russell's already had to leave I think 2 separate preseason games with minor injuries.

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 09:35:33 AM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
Terry Rozier might be better then D' Angelo Russel right now!   Mickey might be better then Randle right now because sully definitely is (be more than happy to have the argument).. Lakers prospects COULD be a lot of things. KO could still be young Dirk. As of now, we winning the rebuild. They only have FA desire over us. Noone on there team has proved anything.  Even Kobe's rating fot dropped to a 85 in NBA 2K.

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 09:43:01 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
From a potential standpoint, it's LA.  You have Randle plus the #2 pick in Russell from this past June's draft. 

From a practical standpoint, it's probably still too early to tell.   Randle & Russell haven't proven a darn thing yet.  At least Smart has developed a track record to an extent and is already an excellent NBA defender. 

Problem is that I don't think either team has a long term alpha dog franchise player right now.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 09:46:08 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If Randle and Deangelo turn into superstars, LA wins hands down.  That's just how these things work.

But if those two are just OK prospects, the Celts have obviously put together a better team and a larger pile of assets.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 09:49:40 AM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
From a potential standpoint, it's LA.  You have Randle plus the #2 pick in Russell from this past June's draft. 

From a practical standpoint, it's probably still too early to tell.   Randle & Russell haven't proven a darn thing yet.  At least Smart has developed a track record to an extent and is already an excellent NBA defender. 

Problem is that I don't think either team has a long term alpha dog franchise player right now.

I deff agree with you. My question now is   would you trade Smart, Rozier, Hunter, and or Mickey for  Russel, Dino arms Randle, and Clarkson?    Im only askin for you believe they have strong prospect potential. not trying to call you out or anything. Just curious on your insight

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 09:52:31 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think Randle has a low likelihood of being a top player in the NBA. He has serious flaws in his game on both ends of the floor and has a lot of work ahead of him to correct them. It's possible he succeeds but I think it's more likely he'll only partially address them given how much work he has ahead of himself. One of the least NBA ready top prospects last season. Needs to completely redevelop his game to be a success in the NBA. 

I expect D'Angelo Russell to have a terrible rookie season. He cannot defend anybody and he is going to have a difficult time getting comfortable on offense alongside Jordan Clarkson, Kobe Bryant and Lou Williams. I also think he'll struggle dealing with NBA caliber athletes / defenders. I think it'll be his 2nd or 3rd year before we know if LA has anything there or not.

I much prefer Marcus Smart to Randle but I don't know how much value to put on Russell.

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 09:53:55 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

I deff agree with you. My question now is   would you trade Smart, Rozier, Hunter, and or Mickey for  Russel, Dino arms Randle, and Clarkson?    Im only askin for you believe they have strong prospect potential. not trying to call you out or anything. Just curious on your insight

No, because I'm not high on Russell.  I also think the Lakers screwed up and should've taken Okafor, IMO.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 10:15:19 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

No, because I'm not high on Russell.  I also think the Lakers screwed up and should've taken Okafor, IMO.
completely agree on the Lakers missing on that pick.  I think Okafor will be the better pro and have the better career regardless of what Russell does.

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 10:20:15 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Lakers should have taken Okafor, but Russell has significantly more value around the league than anyone on Boston's roster and it isn't close.  Russell could be the centerpiece of a trade for someone like Cousins, no one on Boston even comes close to that level.  Boston has a significant edge in future draft picks though (though no one has any idea just how good those picks will be). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip