Author Topic: Katie Nolan re: Greg Hardy  (Read 17531 times)

Re: Katie Nolan re: Greg Hardy
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2015, 07:40:45 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I don't expect much from Hardy so I don't really care what he said.  The Owner doubling down on it is more troubling. 

In a bigger view though, is it just open season to bring other player's wives and girlfriends into this?  Is it only Brady that you can do this to?  Can Gronk say he'd like to pound Romo's wife after he pounds the Cowboys?  I think the NFL letting this go is going to lead to something in the future.  A Barnes type incident or worse.

I'm sure that crap is said all the time on the field & probably a handful of times "off the record".

What makes this one unique is the individual involved and the seemingly utter lack lack of self-awareness exercised by Hardy and the tone-deaf nature it was "promoted" by both the league & the Cowboys.  That's before you even get into the one reporter's comments about Bortles' wife and trying to egg on Hardy some more.

I question whether it is said on the field all the time.  There are some lines you don't cross but I could be wrong.  Carmelo sure didn't act like it was something that happened all the time with KG.  Either way, saying something on the court/field is totally different than saying it in front of a camera in a team interview.  It wasn't like he was even asked about Brady's wife, which would be a dumb thing to be asked about, he brought it up on his own.  It has nothing to do with football.  It has nothing to do with the game.  No reason to bring her up, whether he thinks she is "hot" or not.

The question about Bortle's wife was actually an attempt by the reporter to point out, why are we talking about Brady's wife?  I think the reporter would admit his question didn't come out like he intended.  I don't think he knows who Bortles' wife was/is or if he is even married, just that we are talking about football why are you bringing up people's significant others, you don't do it against other teams.

« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2015, 08:01:31 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
You guys haven't heard of the time KG said "happy mother's day [you know what]" to Tim Duncan (whose mother died when he was in his teens)?

Trash talk can be brutal.

I think in this case, it seems like Hardy is the kid holding his breath in the corner, trying to get more attention (and it's working).
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2015, 09:17:59 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
You guys haven't heard of the time KG said "happy mother's day [you know what]" to Tim Duncan (whose mother died when he was in his teens)?

Trash talk is one thing. Hardy's total insensitivity to his situation is another. The most egregious is J. Jones, though.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2015, 09:21:49 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93

Trash talk is one thing. Hardy's total insensitivity to his situation is another. The most egregious is J. Jones, though.
Ya I agree, just responding to the "is this kind of talk normal between players" comment
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2015, 09:24:15 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I just love that any time domestic or sexual violence is brought up on this forum, I can count on at least one person showing up to argue that the alleged perpetrator definitely didn't do it and the woman is a liar.
It doesn't mean he was wrong though.  I know nothing of the facts in this case, but sometimes the women are the aggressors and sometimes they make things up.  Again I have no idea what happened here, but that kind of stuff does happen.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2015, 10:31:04 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Katie Nolan is no Keith Olbermann when it comes to faux outrage.

I just can't get upset with somebody saying the phrase "coming out guns blazing".  It's a figure of speech.  Greg Hardy is almost definitely a dirtball, but when you lead your rant criticizing him for saying something so innocuous, I have a hard time taking you seriously.

Also, maybe I'm a caveman meathead, but I don't find these comments all that insulting:

“I love seeing Tom Brady,” Hardy told media members when asked about facing off against the Patriots’ quarterback, via the Dallas Morning News. “He’s cool as crap. You seen his wife? I hope she comes to the game. I hope her sister comes to the game. [I hope] all her friends come to the game.”

Is admiring women for their beauty now off-limits?  Especially in regards to a fashion model who has made millions and millions of dollars flaunting her body?  It seems a bit hypocritical, that Gisele can model bras and panties on the runway, but a guy isn't allowed to say that he likes seeing her.

TP x 1,000,000.  I can totally understand not wanting to see Hardy ever play another down in the NFL again.  But this is just ridiculous.  Outrage for the sake of outrage.

« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2015, 10:00:44 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2015, 10:06:11 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
I don't expect much from Hardy so I don't really care what he said.  The Owner doubling down on it is more troubling. 

In a bigger view though, is it just open season to bring other player's wives and girlfriends into this?  Is it only Brady that you can do this to?  Can Gronk say he'd like to pound Romo's wife after he pounds the Cowboys?  I think the NFL letting this go is going to lead to something in the future.  A Barnes type incident or worse.

I'm sure that crap is said all the time on the field & probably a handful of times "off the record".

What makes this one unique is the individual involved and the seemingly utter lack lack of self-awareness exercised by Hardy and the tone-deaf nature it was "promoted" by both the league & the Cowboys.  That's before you even get into the one reporter's comments about Bortles' wife and trying to egg on Hardy some more.

I question whether it is said on the field all the time.  There are some lines you don't cross but I could be wrong.  Carmelo sure didn't act like it was something that happened all the time with KG.  Either way, saying something on the court/field is totally different than saying it in front of a camera in a team interview.  It wasn't like he was even asked about Brady's wife, which would be a dumb thing to be asked about, he brought it up on his own.  It has nothing to do with football.  It has nothing to do with the game.  No reason to bring her up, whether he thinks she is "hot" or not.

The question about Bortle's wife was actually an attempt by the reporter to point out, why are we talking about Brady's wife?  I think the reporter would admit his question didn't come out like he intended.  I don't think he knows who Bortles' wife was/is or if he is even married, just that we are talking about football why are you bringing up people's significant others, you don't do it against other teams.

You'd be surprised at the stuff said on a football field in the heat of battle.  Even at the high school level, it can get pretty bad.  There's not really any "lines" although I'm sure there are plenty of guys who won't go too far either.

Regarding Bortles, I don't think he is still dating her now but one of the things he was most famous for before he got drafted was his girlfriend who was some sort of model.  Lindsey Duke. 

No idea if that was what the reporter was actually trying to get at, though.

« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2015, 11:26:09 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210

You'd be surprised at the stuff said on a football field in the heat of battle.  Even at the high school level, it can get pretty bad.  There's not really any "lines" although I'm sure there are plenty of guys who won't go too far either.

Regarding Bortles, I don't think he is still dating her now but one of the things he was most famous for before he got drafted was his girlfriend who was some sort of model.  Lindsey Duke. 

I guess you are assuming I didn't play high school sports which is a ridiculous assumption.  I assume most people did.  Admittedly I played in Texas but I never had a single instance of anyone thrash talking about anything personal.  For one thing, I never knew anything personal about anyone I played and I don't know how they would have known anything about me.  I never even heard any trash talk like that or anything racial.  Maybe we are more civil here though.  I might be shocked at what goes on in Mass. High school sports.

« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2015, 11:37:18 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

I guess you are assuming I didn't play high school sports which is a ridiculous assumption.  I assume most people did.  Admittedly I played in Texas but I never had a single instance of anyone thrash talking about anything personal.  For one thing, I never knew anything personal about anyone I played and I don't know how they would have known anything about me.  I never even heard any trash talk like that or anything racial.  Maybe we are more civil here though.  I might be shocked at what goes on in Mass. High school sports.

I didn't assume anything. If you want to play offended by it, fine.

Simply stating what I've seen & heard in my experiences of playing, practicing, refereeing, coaching, & watching football at various levels.  And the more personal stuff would tend to come at the college & pro levels where the backgrounds of people playing are more prominent.  However, hearing some pretty raunchy stuff isn't outside the realm on high school football either.

« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2015, 01:52:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I just love that any time domestic or sexual violence is brought up on this forum, I can count on at least one person showing up to argue that the alleged perpetrator definitely didn't do it and the woman is a liar.
It doesn't mean he was wrong though.  I know nothing of the facts in this case, but sometimes the women are the aggressors and sometimes they make things up.  Again I have no idea what happened here, but that kind of stuff does happen.

"That kind of stuff does happen" is conveniently used in every single instance to justify arguing that this particular woman probably is just making it up for publicity, or money, or whatever.

At the heart of it, we just don't want to believe that men are capable of these things and we're oh so willing to believe that women are deceitful, manipulative, and more interested in taking money that men have earned instead of earning it themselves.

I'm not saying that YOU are saying that, but I think it's the sentiment that lies beneath the impulse to doubt every woman that comes forward in these instances.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2015, 11:03:09 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

"That kind of stuff does happen" is conveniently used in every single instance to justify arguing that this particular woman probably is just making it up for publicity, or money, or whatever.

At the heart of it, we just don't want to believe that men are capable of these things and we're oh so willing to believe that women are deceitful, manipulative, and more interested in taking money that men have earned instead of earning it themselves.

I'm not saying that YOU are saying that, but I think it's the sentiment that lies beneath the impulse to doubt every woman that comes forward in these instances.
I get what you are saying, but I thought your response to the very detailed depiction of what he understood the facts to be was pretty flippant and uncalled for. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2015, 03:19:14 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm not going to win many friends by saying this, but I don't think Hardy meant anything offensive and I also don't think he is guilty of the crime he was accused of.

The description of the beating by his accuser was horrifically brutal.  He pushed her to the ground and she ran to the bathroom where he grabbed her and slammed her repeatedly into the toilet.  He, and keep in mind he's a 6'4" 275 lb. powerhouse, then picked her up over his head and slammed her down into a hard tiled bath tub.  Then he dragged her out of the tub and into a different room by her hair where he proceeded to strangle her while threatening to murder her.  He then grabbed her forearm and tried to break it.  Then picked her up and threw her across the room and then picked her up again and threw her onto a couch full of guns.

Despite this vicious beating, it was revealed during the bench trial that she walked away with nothing more than a dime sized bruise on her shoulder.  That doesn't add up to me. 

He also stopped in the middle of his rage and called the cops asking them to come to his apartment and remove his violent girlfriend because he was too afraid to touch her.  He could also be heard on the phone call yelling to his friend to keep holding her back and not let her near him.  Now, it's possible he had the presence of mind to do that to cover for his actions, but considering the rage she described, that sounds unlikely.  The police arrived and said he was cooperative while she refused to talk and the police thought she was fine and let her go.  Her complaint came a day or days later, I don't recall exactly.

A couple of days earlier, police were called to another domestic disturbance between the two in a parking lot of, I think, a mall.  A security guard called them after seeing her becoming violent.  The police got there and found him locked in his car while she was outside kicking it and damaging it.  The police, the security guard, and random bystaders all said she was out of control and violent while he remained calm the whole time.

We also know she was on cocaine and alcohol the night of the attack and he had only been drinking and did not sound particularly drunk on his phone call to the police.

Now, he was found guilty in a bench trial, but my understanding is that in NC that is not much more than an indictment where his lawyers were very limited and it was wrapped up within a day.  The judge said she did not believe the accusing girl would attack a man of his size which is pretty ridiculous and unfair.  But it was really only an indictment as he could and did request a jury trial expunging the guiltly verdict.

The prosecutors in the jury trial dropped the case.  They said they could not find her... while as we know she was traveling the country posting Instagram photos of herself vacationing in posh locations while spending the money he paid her.  The prosecution did not actually need her to testify, but as they said, there were contradictions in her statements and the case was not strong enough for a trial.

I feel like in this case, the accusation is so horrible and the issue so sensitive that we don't bother looking at both sides of the story and rush to judgment.

I'm curious if your perspective has changed with the release of the photos?

http://deadspin.com/this-is-why-nfl-star-greg-hardy-was-arrested-for-assaul-1739117634

Greg Hardy is a scumbag.  His comments about Giselle and "guns blazing" don't bother me.  This stuff does.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2015, 03:30:16 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

http://deadspin.com/this-is-why-nfl-star-greg-hardy-was-arrested-for-assaul-1739117634

Greg Hardy is a scumbag.  His comments about Giselle and "guns blazing" don't bother me.  This stuff does.

The reason his comments bothered me, and, I think, Katie Nolan, is that Greg Hardy is a scumbag, we all know he's a scumbag, HE knows he's a scumbag, and yet there he is, a smiling satisfied scumbag, making these comments in his first press conference back from a suspension for being a scumbag, letting the whole world know that he's a scumbag and he's proud to be one, and guess what, we all enable him to be one, this, in fact, is what we PAY him to be.  Are you not entertained?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2015, 03:30:39 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I'm not going to win many friends by saying this, but I don't think Hardy meant anything offensive and I also don't think he is guilty of the crime he was accused of.

The description of the beating by his accuser was horrifically brutal.  He pushed her to the ground and she ran to the bathroom where he grabbed her and slammed her repeatedly into the toilet.  He, and keep in mind he's a 6'4" 275 lb. powerhouse, then picked her up over his head and slammed her down into a hard tiled bath tub.  Then he dragged her out of the tub and into a different room by her hair where he proceeded to strangle her while threatening to murder her.  He then grabbed her forearm and tried to break it.  Then picked her up and threw her across the room and then picked her up again and threw her onto a couch full of guns.

Despite this vicious beating, it was revealed during the bench trial that she walked away with nothing more than a dime sized bruise on her shoulder.  That doesn't add up to me. 

He also stopped in the middle of his rage and called the cops asking them to come to his apartment and remove his violent girlfriend because he was too afraid to touch her.  He could also be heard on the phone call yelling to his friend to keep holding her back and not let her near him.  Now, it's possible he had the presence of mind to do that to cover for his actions, but considering the rage she described, that sounds unlikely.  The police arrived and said he was cooperative while she refused to talk and the police thought she was fine and let her go.  Her complaint came a day or days later, I don't recall exactly.

A couple of days earlier, police were called to another domestic disturbance between the two in a parking lot of, I think, a mall.  A security guard called them after seeing her becoming violent.  The police got there and found him locked in his car while she was outside kicking it and damaging it.  The police, the security guard, and random bystaders all said she was out of control and violent while he remained calm the whole time.

We also know she was on cocaine and alcohol the night of the attack and he had only been drinking and did not sound particularly drunk on his phone call to the police.

Now, he was found guilty in a bench trial, but my understanding is that in NC that is not much more than an indictment where his lawyers were very limited and it was wrapped up within a day.  The judge said she did not believe the accusing girl would attack a man of his size which is pretty ridiculous and unfair.  But it was really only an indictment as he could and did request a jury trial expunging the guiltly verdict.

The prosecutors in the jury trial dropped the case.  They said they could not find her... while as we know she was traveling the country posting Instagram photos of herself vacationing in posh locations while spending the money he paid her.  The prosecution did not actually need her to testify, but as they said, there were contradictions in her statements and the case was not strong enough for a trial.

I feel like in this case, the accusation is so horrible and the issue so sensitive that we don't bother looking at both sides of the story and rush to judgment.

Wow. That's horrendous. I didn't know that this was that serious of a domestic violence case; no man should EVER do that to anyone, especially a woman. I hope he gets his due legally.

Think, Tom Brady was lumped into the same boat as this guy as far as suspension length goes. Great job, NFL!