Author Topic: Katie Nolan re: Greg Hardy  (Read 17422 times)

Re: Katie Nolan re: Greg Hardy
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2015, 05:00:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The idea that someone can't say something worthwhile based on their previous statements/behavior is fairly insipid, too.

You don't need to be the Church Lady to point out things like this.

Right.

Maybe she's played along with some of the shticks to fit in and succeed in a male-dominated environment, it doesn't make her exasperation and outrage less genuine or justified, and it doesn't mean she can't speak out about it.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2015, 05:10:30 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Wait you mean to tell me that men looking at women in sports media as second class citizens is an endemic thing?

http://deadspin.com/bad-radio-man-calls-espns-jessica-mendoza-tits-mcgee-1735242516

?

OVER TO YOU MAZZ FOR THE HOT TAKE.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2015, 05:16:10 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The idea that someone can't say something worthwhile based on their previous statements/behavior is fairly insipid, too.

When you make misogynistic comments, and then shout in outrage at fairly innocuous sexist comments, it makes her a hypocrite. To me, that does, in fact, dilute her message.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2015, 05:16:58 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I'm not going to win many friends by saying this, but I don't think Hardy meant anything offensive and I also don't think he is guilty of the crime he was accused of.

The description of the beating by his accuser was horrifically brutal.  He pushed her to the ground and she ran to the bathroom where he grabbed her and slammed her repeatedly into the toilet.  He, and keep in mind he's a 6'4" 275 lb. powerhouse, then picked her up over his head and slammed her down into a hard tiled bath tub.  Then he dragged her out of the tub and into a different room by her hair where he proceeded to strangle her while threatening to murder her.  He then grabbed her forearm and tried to break it.  Then picked her up and threw her across the room and then picked her up again and threw her onto a couch full of guns.

Despite this vicious beating, it was revealed during the bench trial that she walked away with nothing more than a dime sized bruise on her shoulder.  That doesn't add up to me. 

He also stopped in the middle of his rage and called the cops asking them to come to his apartment and remove his violent girlfriend because he was too afraid to touch her.  He could also be heard on the phone call yelling to his friend to keep holding her back and not let her near him.  Now, it's possible he had the presence of mind to do that to cover for his actions, but considering the rage she described, that sounds unlikely.  The police arrived and said he was cooperative while she refused to talk and the police thought she was fine and let her go.  Her complaint came a day or days later, I don't recall exactly.

A couple of days earlier, police were called to another domestic disturbance between the two in a parking lot of, I think, a mall.  A security guard called them after seeing her becoming violent.  The police got there and found him locked in his car while she was outside kicking it and damaging it.  The police, the security guard, and random bystaders all said she was out of control and violent while he remained calm the whole time.

We also know she was on cocaine and alcohol the night of the attack and he had only been drinking and did not sound particularly drunk on his phone call to the police.

Now, he was found guilty in a bench trial, but my understanding is that in NC that is not much more than an indictment where his lawyers were very limited and it was wrapped up within a day.  The judge said she did not believe the accusing girl would attack a man of his size which is pretty ridiculous and unfair.  But it was really only an indictment as he could and did request a jury trial expunging the guiltly verdict.

The prosecutors in the jury trial dropped the case.  They said they could not find her... while as we know she was traveling the country posting Instagram photos of herself vacationing in posh locations while spending the money he paid her.  The prosecution did not actually need her to testify, but as they said, there were contradictions in her statements and the case was not strong enough for a trial.

I feel like in this case, the accusation is so horrible and the issue so sensitive that we don't bother looking at both sides of the story and rush to judgment.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 05:43:54 PM by knuckleballer »

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2015, 05:26:07 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

When you make misogynistic comments, and then shout in outrage at fairly innocuous sexist comments, it makes her a hypocrite. To me, that does, in fact, dilute her message.

I think it undercuts where she's coming from, because she's complicit in the things she's speaking out against, to some extent, but I do think it's very different when we're talking about a woman trying to make it in a male dominated industry saying those things, versus a professional male athlete who's also a perpetrator of domestic violence saying those things, and a male reporter egging him on.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2015, 05:29:58 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Point being: there's no reason why editorial consistency should hold more water than the accuracy of the observation, and it seems silly that it would ever be so.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2015, 05:30:51 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
I'm not going to win many friends by saying this, but I don't think Hardy meant anything offensive and I also don't think he is guilty of the crime he was accused of.

The description of the beating by his accuser was horrifically brutal.  He pushed her to the ground and she ran to the bathroom where he grabbed her and slammed her repeatedly into the toilet.  He, and keep in mind he's a 6'4" 275 lb. powerhouse, then picked her up over his head and slammed her down into a hard tiled bath tub.  Then he dragged her out of the tub and into a different room by her hair where he proceeded to strangle her while threatening to murder her.  He then grabbed her forearm and tried to break it.  Then picked her up and threw her across the room and then picked her up again and threw her onto a couch full of guns.

Despite this viscous beating
, it was revealed during the bench trial that she walked away with nothing more than a dime sized bruise on her shoulder.  That doesn't add up to me. 

He also stopped in the middle of his rage and called the cops asking them to come to his apartment and remove his violent girlfriend because he was too afraid to touch her.  He could also be heard on the phone call yelling to his friend to keep holding her back and not let her near him.  Now, it's possible he had the presence of mind to do that to cover for his actions, but considering the rage she described, that sounds unlikely.  The police arrived and said he was cooperative while she refused to talk and the police thought she was fine and let her go.  Her complaint came a day or days later, I don't recall exactly.

A couple of days earlier, police were called to another domestic disturbance between the two in a parking lot of, I think, a mall.  A security guard called them after seeing her becoming violent.  The police got there and found him locked in his car while she was outside kicking it and damaging it.  The police, the security guard, and random bystaders all said she was out of control and violent while he remained calm the whole time.

We also know she was on cocaine and alcohol the night of the attack and he had only been drinking and did not sound particularly drunk on his phone call to the police.

Now, he was found guilty in a bench trial, but my understanding is that in NC that is not much more than an indictment where his lawyers were very limited and it was wrapped up within a day.  The judge said she did not believe the accusing girl would attack a man of his size which is pretty ridiculous and unfair.  But it was really only an indictment as he could and did request a jury trial expunging the guiltly verdict.

The prosecutors in the jury trial dropped the case.  They said they could not find her... while as we know she was traveling the country posting Instagram photos of herself vacationing in posh locations while spending the money he paid her.  The prosecution did not actually need her to testify, but as they said, there were contradictions in her statements and the case was not strong enough for a trial.

I feel like in this case, the accusation is so horrible and the issue so sensitive that we don't bother looking at both sides of the story and rush to judgment.

Typo of the century?

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2015, 05:35:43 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

, it was revealed during the bench trial that she walked away with nothing more than a dime sized bruise on her shoulder.  That doesn't add up to me. 

Typo of the century?

I was writing about her account to emphasize that it doesn't make much sense.  No typo. 

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2015, 05:37:14 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Typo of the century?

I was writing about her account to emphasize that it doesn't make much sense.  No typo.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/viscous

It's not what you think.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2015, 05:38:42 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I just love that any time domestic or sexual violence is brought up on this forum, I can count on at least one person showing up to argue that the alleged perpetrator definitely didn't do it and the woman is a liar.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2015, 05:40:59 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

Typo of the century?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/viscous

It's not what you think.

Thanks for the spelling correction.

« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2015, 05:44:58 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Common mistake. I catch myself making doozies all the time, something happens between the brain and the fingers.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2015, 05:46:45 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

Common mistake. I catch myself making doozies all the time, something happens between the brain and the fingers.

My spelling gets worse all the time.  I blame autocorrect.

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2015, 06:43:34 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I don't expect much from Hardy so I don't really care what he said.  The Owner doubling down on it is more troubling. 

In a bigger view though, is it just open season to bring other player's wives and girlfriends into this?  Is it only Brady that you can do this to?  Can Gronk say he'd like to pound Romo's wife after he pounds the Cowboys?  I think the NFL letting this go is going to lead to something in the future.  A Barnes type incident or worse.

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2015, 06:50:10 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
I don't expect much from Hardy so I don't really care what he said.  The Owner doubling down on it is more troubling. 

In a bigger view though, is it just open season to bring other player's wives and girlfriends into this?  Is it only Brady that you can do this to?  Can Gronk say he'd like to pound Romo's wife after he pounds the Cowboys?  I think the NFL letting this go is going to lead to something in the future.  A Barnes type incident or worse.

I'm sure that crap is said all the time on the field & probably a handful of times "off the record".

What makes this one unique is the individual involved and the seemingly utter lack lack of self-awareness exercised by Hardy and the tone-deaf nature it was "promoted" by both the league & the Cowboys.  That's before you even get into the one reporter's comments about Bortles' wife and trying to egg on Hardy some more.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team