Author Topic: Katie Nolan re: Greg Hardy  (Read 17735 times)

Katie Nolan re: Greg Hardy
« on: October 08, 2015, 01:08:12 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Katie Nolan re: Greg Hardy
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 01:25:44 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Big TP.

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 01:37:57 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
awesome video. More gifs please!

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 01:55:32 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I like Nolan a lot.  Helps that she's a local girl too.  Any female that can put up with bartending in Allston for any amount of time gets mad props from me.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 01:56:36 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I wish I could give Katie Nolan a million TPs.  When the owner comes out and says how much his respect went up for Brady when he married a really attractive woman, like Brady just bought a really sweet new ride, I guess expecting more from a player really isn't reasonable.

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 01:56:59 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Katie Nolan is no Keith Olbermann when it comes to faux outrage.

I just can't get upset with somebody saying the phrase "coming out guns blazing".  It's a figure of speech.  Greg Hardy is almost definitely a dirtball, but when you lead your rant criticizing him for saying something so innocuous, I have a hard time taking you seriously.

Also, maybe I'm a caveman meathead, but I don't find these comments all that insulting:

“I love seeing Tom Brady,” Hardy told media members when asked about facing off against the Patriots’ quarterback, via the Dallas Morning News. “He’s cool as crap. You seen his wife? I hope she comes to the game. I hope her sister comes to the game. [I hope] all her friends come to the game.”

Is admiring women for their beauty now off-limits?  Especially in regards to a fashion model who has made millions and millions of dollars flaunting her body?  It seems a bit hypocritical, that Gisele can model bras and panties on the runway, but a guy isn't allowed to say that he likes seeing her.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 02:09:01 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I just can't get upset with somebody saying the phrase "coming out guns blazing".  It's a figure of speech.  Greg Hardy is almost definitely a dirtball, but when you lead your rant criticizing him for saying something so innocuous, I have a hard time taking you seriously.

Also, maybe I'm a caveman meathead, but I don't find these comments all that insulting:

“I love seeing Tom Brady,” Hardy told media members when asked about facing off against the Patriots’ quarterback, via the Dallas Morning News. “He’s cool as crap. You seen his wife? I hope she comes to the game. I hope her sister comes to the game. [I hope] all her friends come to the game.”

Is admiring women for their beauty now off-limits?  Especially in regards to a fashion model who has made millions and millions of dollars flaunting her body?  It seems a bit hypocritical, that Gisele can model bras and panties on the runway, but a guy isn't allowed to say that he likes seeing her.
I think her outrage seemed pretty real to me.

As to the comments about Gisele. Of course admiring women for their beauty isn't off limits, depending on who does it. I think talking about the attractiveness of someone elses wife while referencing the husband is in poor taste. For Hardy, with his history of beating/abusing women I think it could be almost taken as a threat meant to rattle Brady.

From a PR standpoint alone, an athlete who has been in trouble for abusing women probably shouldn't mention any women when asked about a football game.

The real problem is less what he said and more that he isn't in jail after paying off the victim. I take his comments as evidence that in Hardy's mind he can say or do whatever he wants to women without consequences.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 02:29:41 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Time and place.

As Ms. Nolan said, (paraphrasing) "He had to respect women for 12 minutes and he couldn't it."

You make a statement about "guns blazing" when you were found guilty of throwing your girlfriend onto a couch covered in guns and then choking her.  Pretty idiotic.

Then the Giselle comment -- he was asked about Tom Brady, in a press conference about football.  Now, in a vaccuum, a player commenting on Tom Brady's wife as if she were a pretty luxury sports car that he owns ("Man, I hope he drives his awesome Lamborghini to the game.  That would be sweet.") would just be in poor taste. 

But in the context of this dirtbag who just served a suspension for the above-referenced domestic abuse -- about which there is no question that he actually committed it -- the statement comes off as almost defiantly misogynistic, like he knows he got away with something and he's proud to come out in his first press conference making statements objectifying women who he's never met and who maybe just want to come to a game to support their significant others, not be talked about like Jerry Jones's newest stadium upgrade.

Then to add insult to injury, you have an actual honest to goodness "reporter" piling on and trying to milk Hardy for another sexist line.  Like, really?  Have some pride in your craft.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 02:37:35 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Time and place.

As Ms. Nolan said, (paraphrasing) "He had to respect women for 12 minutes and he couldn't it."

You make a statement about "guns blazing" when you were found guilty of throwing your girlfriend onto a couch covered in guns and then choking her.  Pretty idiotic.

Then the Giselle comment -- he was asked about Tom Brady, in a press conference about football.  Now, in a vaccuum, a player commenting on Tom Brady's wife as if she were a pretty luxury sports car that he owns ("Man, I hope he drives his awesome Lamborghini to the game.  That would be sweet.") would just be in poor taste. 

But in the context of this dirtbag who just served a suspension for the above-referenced domestic abuse -- about which there is no question that he actually committed it -- the statement comes off as almost defiantly misogynistic, like he knows he got away with something and he's proud to come out in his first press conference making statements objectifying women who he's never met and who maybe just want to come to a game to support their significant others, not be talked about like Jerry Jones's newest stadium upgrade.

Then to add insult to injury, you have an actual honest to goodness "reporter" piling on and trying to milk Hardy for another sexist line.  Like, really?  Have some pride in your craft.
That is exactly how I felt when seeing him get interviewed and I was trying to say something similar in the previous post.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 02:43:40 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Time and place.

Yeah, this about nails it for me.  The whole situation just reeks of being tone deaf and Hardy is an idiot who clearly hasn't learned a thing.   

She was dead on about the league too.  But, hey, breast cancer month & pink ribbons, right?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 02:52:46 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Eh.  It's a figure of speech.  I feel the same way about people who talk about "going to war", or "throwing bombs" or being "warriors".  There are enough things to be outraged about; this isn't one of them, unless you're really looking for offense.  Also, for the record, Hardy's guilty verdict was vacated on appeal.

I don't equate compliments about the attractiveness of a lingerie model with domestic violence.  I don't think they have anything to do with one another.  Hardy likes to look at Gisele and her supermodel friends?  So does just about every straight man on earth.

When I originally heard that Hardy had made some inappropriate comments about Brady and Gisele, I figured he said something fairly crude.  Instead, it was basically "Tom is a cool guy and his wife and her friends are dropdead gorgeous". 

Punish Hardy for his crimes.  4 games for a crime that was ultimately dismissed?  I'm fine with that.  However, attacking him for comments like "guns blazing" and "Tom is cool; I hope his wife and friends come to the game" just seems like a hyper-PC reaction.

I mean, ask yourself,  what's more misogynistic and exploitative of women: Greg Hardy saying that he hopes to see Gisele at the game, or Katie Nolan making jokes about performing oral sex, downplaying sexual harassment in the workplace (joking that women who complain about harassment in the workplace are the equivalent of obese women who say they have "a few extra pounds" on dating websites), and wearing cleavage-showing outfits for an audience that is dominated by males? 

I do agree with this. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 03:07:59 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 03:16:15 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Also, for the record, Hardy's guilty verdict was vacated on appeal.

Reportedly because they couldn't find the victim after she was paid off.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 03:17:57 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Yeah it seems like it's more about "Greg Hardy is a scumbag with serious abuse issues" and the comments are just a springboard for going after that.  It's not like he's no longer a scumbag with serious abuse issues if he uses a different metaphor.

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 03:19:35 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Yeah it seems like it's more about "Greg Hardy is a scumbag with serious abuse issues" and the comments are just a springboard for going after that.  It's not like he's no longer a scumbag with serious abuse issues if he uses a different metaphor.

This I also agree with.

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 03:19:42 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Eh.  It's a figure of speech.  I feel the same way about people who talk about "going to war", or "throwing bombs" or being "warriors".  There are enough things to be outraged about; this isn't one of them, unless you're really looking for offense.  Also, for the record, Hardy's guilty verdict was vacated on appeal.

I don't equate compliments about the attractiveness of a lingerie model with domestic violence.  I don't think they have anything to do with one another.  Hardy likes to look at Gisele and her supermodel friends?  So does just about every straight man on earth.

When I originally heard that Hardy had made some inappropriate comments about Brady and Gisele, I figured he said something fairly crude.  Instead, it was basically "Tom is a cool guy and his wife and her friends are dropdead gorgeous". 

Punish Hardy for his crimes.  4 games for a crime that was ultimately dismissed? I'm fine with that.  However, attacking him for comments like "guns blazing" and "Tom is cool; I hope his wife and friends come to the game" just seems like a hyper-PC reaction.

I mean, ask yourself,  what's more misogynistic and exploitative of women: Greg Hardy saying that he hopes to see Gisele at the game, or Katie Nolan making jokes about performing oral sex and wearing cleavage-showing outfits for an audience that is dominated by males?

I do agree with this.

And why was the case dismissed Roy?

Like Ray Rice, this jerk shouldn't in the league. You would think Jones would have the good sense to keep his mouth shut, but he's the idiot that enabled Hardy to be back playing until his next transgression.