Author Topic: I think the Celtics are better than last year's Hawks team  (Read 6232 times)

Re: I think the Celtics are better than last year's Hawks team
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 12:42:13 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Nope.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 01:01:57 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 01:53:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Good old triboy. Your post/topic is the definition of being a 'homer', but you just have so much faith that I can't completely hate you.

In regards to the topic, if we have a GREAT season from our own merits we'll finish in the top 6 in the East. If we get very lucky and multiple teams suffered key injuries to multiple players then we may even fluke our way into the top 4. (Bulls has Noah+Gasol get hurt, Miami loses Dragic+Bosh).

The 2014 Hawks we are definitely not.
No All Stars, a 2nd year starting PG and a few young veterans.
No key rim protector and basically relying on a crumbling Amir Johnson with two baaaaad ankles to be our 'enforcer' really can't compare to Horford.
We don't have any 45% 3 point shooters either.
It's just a bit too early to expect so much from such a young team.
Our two best 'career' big men are past their prime, particularly Amir.
Our 6th man may be the closest thing we have to an All Star and he's a completely offensive player.
We are 2 All Stars away from being a Hawks caliber team.

I will say I admire your outlook.
Triboy would you be willing to bet all your TP's for it?

Didn't you say this team had no chance in hell to make the playoffs last season? And it was not only you.  Oh we will be gunning for Towns etc.  With rondo in the lineup I believed this fate will come true also. But thank the lord once he was traded plus getting IT , I knew we had a fighting chance to make it

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 02:41:37 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
Equal record to the 2014-15 Hawks? No chance. But I absolutely believe this year's Celtics can surprise the league with a "no superstar", team-driven style just like the Hawks did this year.

I hear the argument about Millsap and Horford being veteran all-star before last year. But don't sell the C's players short. In terms of advanced metrics, Isaiah Thomas is an all-star caliber player at the offensive end. Your starting point guard is indeed in just his 2nd year, but may already be one of the top-3 defensive PGs in the league. You've got a veteran all-star in David Lee who may or may not even start. Sure he's past 30, but he's only 32 and not that far removed from an all-star selection.

The Hawks weren't the Hawks before last season. They were a team that everyone criticized for being stuck on the treadmill of mediocrity. Someone has to surprise the league this year, and the Celtics have as good a chance as anybody.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2015, 02:55:58 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
If we win the opening game of the season we will, indeed, be a better team than last year's Hawks, who started last year with a loss.

Well played sir, well played.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2015, 04:11:40 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I would like to nominate this thread for the CB Hall of Fame.

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2015, 06:20:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Equal record to the 2014-15 Hawks? No chance. But I absolutely believe this year's Celtics can surprise the league with a "no superstar", team-driven style just like the Hawks did this year.

I hear the argument about Millsap and Horford being veteran all-star before last year. But don't sell the C's players short. In terms of advanced metrics, Isaiah Thomas is an all-star caliber player at the offensive end. Your starting point guard is indeed in just his 2nd year, but may already be one of the top-3 defensive PGs in the league. You've got a veteran all-star in David Lee who may or may not even start. Sure he's past 30, but he's only 32 and not that far removed from an all-star selection.

The Hawks weren't the Hawks before last season. They were a team that everyone criticized for being stuck on the treadmill of mediocrity. Someone has to surprise the league this year, and the Celtics have as good a chance as anybody.

Absolutely. Some nice points. 

David Lee is not only a nice addition because of his skill but also leadership qualities. He won a ring last season and has seen lots of things/plays to help the Celts " cheat" and become better faster

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2015, 07:01:35 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
I don't agree with the notion than the Celtics will be better than last years Hawks for the same reason others are saying why. The Hawks may not have a "superstar" but they have 4 great players who the Celtics would love to have in their starting lineup. Al Horford, Paul Millsap, Jeff Teague, and Kyle Korver. That's not to say the Celtics don't have some good talent on their squad, but Atlanta currently has much more upper tier talent than the Celtics do.

That being said, I can see why some compare this Celtics squad to last years Hawks. They are relying on chemistry and taking advantage of mis-matches rather than using star power. Watching these past 2 pre-season games has gotten me even more excited for this season to start because the Celtics have demonstrated not only their cohesion but also their depth, and that's something last years Hawks didn't even really have. They relied very heavily on Teague-Korver-Caroll-Millsap-Horford and their bench was pretty iffy in the ECF. The Celtics don't have a star right now but they have a lot of depth and versatility on their roster.

Are they following a similar route as the Hawks? Yes, but will they be better than the Hawks were last year? No way.

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2015, 07:07:15 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
didn't the hawks win 60 games last yr.?

this team is not a 60 win team...even in the east.

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2015, 07:17:01 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Do you think we have the all stars they did?   I do not.

Did anybody prior to last year think Jeff Teague was a star?

Did anybody prior to last year think Kyle Korver was an All Star?

Are you really going to say that Paul Milsap is a STAR????

What the Hawks showed last year, and other teams have shown before, is that you do not need a top-5 MVP candidate on your roster to compete for a title.  To win one?  Maybe that's necessary.   But not to compete.

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2015, 07:18:35 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Silly!!

We are going to be a good team IMO but not as good as the Hawks were in the regular season.

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2015, 07:18:39 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
didn't the hawks win 60 games last yr.?

this team is not a 60 win team...even in the east.

maybe not 60 but it's not out of question we win 12-13 more games than we did last season. 

Remember again, the Celts had one of the hottest record out of the east  in the 2nd half. What if that 2nd half roster had a full season. Add Amir , Lee + that alot of players are better (Smart, KO, Zeller etc)

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2015, 07:20:35 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Silly!!

We are going to be a good team IMO but not as good as the Hawks were in the regular season.

We have more depth. How many games did we lose to the Hawks last season? Except for that beauty last game

We got blown out several times by the Hawks.   You think that will happen this upcoming season?

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2015, 07:44:06 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

How many do we have?  Do you think that we are going to three or four?   If so, please post it so we can hold you accountable.   How is Santa and the Easter bunny doing?

He is markedly better shooter than anyone we have from deep.

He is a two time all star.  Where have you been?  Live in a cave?   What is the excuse?

16.7 PG last year.  7.8 RPG  .48% FG that is not bad.

2× NBA All-Star (2014–2015)
NBA All-Rookie Second Team (2007)

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3015/paul-millsap

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Millsap

These are stats and not opinion.   Also you do not mention Al Horford who is a beast.  This kind of blows up on you when you consider that one, no?  We do not have two bigs of that caliber.  Milsap and Horford are a lot better than our two best bigs.  Horford can protect the rim too. 

What the Hawks showed last year, and other teams have shown before, is that you do not need a top-5 MVP candidate on your roster to compete for a title.  To win one?  Maybe that's necessary.   But not to compete.

What the Hawks showed last year was that they were not a playoff caliber team once the playoffs began, the same could have been said of us with our getting swept.   How did that work out for them in the playoffs?   Not well.  They were still better than us, and the consensus in this post agrees with that.  Compete for a title, where did that come from?   They lost in the playoffs rather soundly and were great in the regular season.  The NBA is a star league.   You can count on one hand the teams that did not have a star.     

The title of this thread should be I feel the Celtics are better.   Because not much though went into it.  It is largely a product of emotion.  Until we do it on the court and I do not see us winning as many as the Hawks last year, it is ready better.  We will be a hard playing competitive team though.

McTyson,Maybe I ought to change my name to McBuster Douglas after this post, eh?

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2015, 08:14:28 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

How many do we have?  Do you think that we are going to three or four? 

Answering a question with a question, nice.  Again, please tell me where you predicted that Jeff Teague would be an All-Star.

If so, please post it so we can hold you accountable.   How is Santa and the Easter bunny doing?

I never said the Celtics would have 4 All-Stars.  My point was that no one thought the Hawks had any stars or that Teague, Korver, Milsap, and Horford would make a 60-win team. 

But since you asked, here are my predictions for this team:  46 wins, Isaiah Thomas All-Star team, Marcus Smart All-NBA defense.

He is markedly better shooter than anyone we have from deep.

Did you predict he would make his first All-Star team.  Is he a star? Answer the question.

He is a two time all star.  Where have you been?  Live in a cave?   What is the excuse?

So he is David Lee???  Well we have one star then.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/leeda02.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/millspa01.html

What the Hawks showed last year was that they were not a playoff caliber team once the playoffs began...

Of course.  So even if the Celtics were somehow to magically win 50+ games this year, that doesn't mean anything.  Why even watch NBA games then?  Why don't we just have 4-8 teams and have the conference finals for a few weeks, settle it all that way?  Why do you care at all?

McTyson,Maybe I ought to change my name to McBuster Douglas after this post, eh?

eh?