Author Topic: I think the Celtics are better than last year's Hawks team  (Read 6240 times)

I think the Celtics are better than last year's Hawks team
« on: October 08, 2015, 09:09:55 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Just like the Hawks we don't have a Lebron or even a guy like Klay Thompson.  But also like the Hawks we got a deep roster.  Guys like Sully, KO, Zeller are going to be better than last season (one or two can pull a Milsap).  We have alot of weapons from the backcourt.  Especially will not let go of the guess defensively. Crowder, Turner, Jerebko are solid from the middle.   Some good looking rookies like Rozier, Hunter , Mickey (Danny scored with this year's draft). Add vet presence and no nonsense players like Amir and Lee

CBS is only going to get better. 

The reason I think we will be better  is our roster is that much more deeper and we got a coach I know that will be able to utilize it the best way possible.  If one duo is having an off game, throw in the next. Or mix and match depending on the matchup.  Put in Hunter in certain situations to get you a three. Throw in Lee if you want someone to pound the ball in the post. Or Amir to try to get you that defensive stop against a top level of.  I predict a very good year for this team

Re: I think the Celtics are better than last year's Hawks team
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 09:12:57 AM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
I believe the ending argument about the Hawks comparison for a lot of posters was that if Horford or Milsap was on our team. They would easily be the 2 best players. and RJ's no Korver.  I think a Hawks lite might be labeled appropriate

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 09:20:27 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
If we win the opening game of the season we will, indeed, be a better team than last year's Hawks, who started last year with a loss.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 09:21:17 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Do you think we have the all stars they did?   I do not.

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 09:35:16 AM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
That's a bold statement Cotton...

Let's see if the C's can win the East and also go undefeated in a month, then we can make that claim.

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 09:43:56 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
Boston will not win 60 games or make the ECF as currently constructed.  No chance in hell.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 09:53:07 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Commence lambasting.

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 09:56:37 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
We might wind up better than last year's Hawks team was expected to be going into the season, but they were seriously underestimated (imagine that!).  There's just about 0 chance we wind up with a better record or a better playoff run.

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 10:09:44 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Just like the Hawks we don't have a Lebron or even a guy like Klay Thompson.  But also like the Hawks we got a deep roster.  Guys like Sully, KO, Zeller are going to be better than last season (one or two can pull a Milsap).  We have alot of weapons from the backcourt.  Especially will not let go of the guess defensively. Crowder, Turner, Jerebko are solid from the middle.   Some good looking rookies like Rozier, Hunter , Mickey (Danny scored with this year's draft). Add vet presence and no nonsense players like Amir and Lee

CBS is only going to get better. 

The reason I think we will be better  is our roster is that much more deeper and we got a coach I know that will be able to utilize it the best way possible.  If one duo is having an off game, throw in the next. Or mix and match depending on the matchup.  Put in Hunter in certain situations to get you a three. Throw in Lee if you want someone to pound the ball in the post. Or Amir to try to get you that defensive stop against a top level of.  I predict a very good year for this team

I also agree with this, I just have a good feeling about this team. I'm not dreaming of a championship here, I'm talking right now... this year. They're gonna surprise some teams that aren't 100% ready. If this team plays without ego, and buy's into what Brad Steven's has planed for them, and hang's their hat on defense, we're going to have some fun. 

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 10:17:53 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
It's like some people here forget that Paul Millsap and Al Horford were All-Stars prior to last season.

So was David Lee, to be fair, but neither of those two guys were starting the season on the wrong side of 30.

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 11:13:22 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Yeah anyone who thinks this is completely delusional. Have we improved our roster, especially with depth? Yes. Do we have an Al Hordford or a Paul Milsap? No freakin way.

The Hawks had 4 all stars last year. Despite the fact I thought they were incredibly overrated even though they locked up first in the east pretty easily, we aren't even close to what the Hawks had on the floor last year. If we have one all star from this squad I will be shocked. 4? Not a chance.  Milsap is a consistant 16 and 8 guy who plays pretty stellar defense, Horford, along with Milsap, were both all star previously and is too a consistent 14-15 points a night with 8-9 rebounds and stellar defense of his own.

Not even close.

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 11:15:53 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Yeah anyone who thinks this is completely delusional. Have we improved our roster, especially with depth? Yes. Do we have an Al Hordford or a Paul Milsap? No freakin way.

The Hawks had 4 all stars last year. Despite the fact I thought they were incredibly overrated even though they locked up first in the east pretty easily, we aren't even close to what the Hawks had on the floor last year. If we have one all star from this squad I will be shocked. 4? Not a chance.  Milsap is a consistant 16 and 8 guy who plays pretty stellar defense, Horford, along with Milsap, were both all star previously and is too a consistent 14-15 points a night with 8-9 rebounds and stellar defense of his own.

Not even close.

If we have a strong first half record, we will end up with a couple of guys on the all star team. That is how it works.  But I agree with you that on a talent level we are not in that category.

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 11:29:16 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Even if the Hawks had kept Carroll while adding Splitter, I don't think they would have been better this season then they were last season. Forget about the Celtics.

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 11:56:30 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
No, we're not.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 12:02:06 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Good old triboy. Your post/topic is the definition of being a 'homer', but you just have so much faith that I can't completely hate you.

In regards to the topic, if we have a GREAT season from our own merits we'll finish in the top 6 in the East. If we get very lucky and multiple teams suffered key injuries to multiple players then we may even fluke our way into the top 4. (Bulls has Noah+Gasol get hurt, Miami loses Dragic+Bosh).

The 2014 Hawks we are definitely not.
No All Stars, a 2nd year starting PG and a few young veterans.
No key rim protector and basically relying on a crumbling Amir Johnson with two baaaaad ankles to be our 'enforcer' really can't compare to Horford.
We don't have any 45% 3 point shooters either.
It's just a bit too early to expect so much from such a young team.
Our two best 'career' big men are past their prime, particularly Amir.
Our 6th man may be the closest thing we have to an All Star and he's a completely offensive player.
We are 2 All Stars away from being a Hawks caliber team.

I will say I admire your outlook.
Triboy would you be willing to bet all your TP's for it?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 12:09:58 PM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.