Author Topic: Idea: Sully and Turner for Kevin Martin  (Read 2937 times)

Idea: Sully and Turner for Kevin Martin
« on: October 07, 2015, 09:45:27 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6618143

Thoughts?

He shoots almost 40% from three for his career!!!

Quite a POOR defender however, but could we cover that in our team system?

Smitty77

Re: Idea: Sully and Turner for Kevin Martin
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 09:47:44 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Once posted a potential Kevin Martin deal for Turner, and some second rounders, and everyone seemed to be fine with it.

I don't see why not, but isn't Hunter expected to be the same as Martin anyways?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 11:01:23 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Would Martin have a future with the Celtics after this current (expiring) year on his contract?

Edit: I was wrong; Martin has another year beyond this one. 6th man role?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 11:08:29 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Once posted a potential Kevin Martin deal for Turner, and some second rounders, and everyone seemed to be fine with it.

I don't see why not, but isn't Hunter expected to be the same as Martin anyways?

Can we talk about how great a pick RJ Hunter would be at #28 if he turned into Kevin Martin?

Kevin Martin has never been a major piece for a good team, but all he's done is score almost 12K points in his career with a career average of 18 points per game with a career TS% of 58.8%.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 11:12:56 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Can we talk about how great a pick RJ Hunter would be at #28 if he turned into Kevin Martin?

Kevin Martin has never been a major piece for a good team, but all he's done is score almost 12K points in his career with a career average of 18 points per game with a career TS% of 58.8%.

I actually vyed for Kevin Martin for a long time ago, in hopes we could have had him on the cheap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo6CS40-KUE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co7VE59jXAk

Hes a great lights out shooter that can score on offense, but is terrible on defense.

Either build the right defense to make up for him, or slot him in the sixth man role.

Phosita, who do you think Martin's ceiling is?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 11:21:55 PM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 11:52:55 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
I've contemplated a trade along these lines recently as well, but mine has a different twist. Minnesota needs to shed unneeded cap space and sign guys who are a better fit.

The trade I propose would be:
Sullinger & Turner for Martin and Dieng. This also works cap wise.

They'd like to move Martin and Turner is a more versatile player anyway. With Towns in tow and Pekovic locked up for a long contract, Dieng is redundant - he's more of a center than he is a PF. While redundant for Minny, he could be a nice rotational guy for us at center. We get Martin this year and maybe trade him at the deadline next year or sign him for reasonable money if there's a fit.

Sully give them a guy who can stretch the floor a bit for Pekovic and Towns - certainly far better than Dieng.

We waive PJ III...

Zeller / Olynyk / Dieng
Lee / Johnson / Mickey
Crowder / Jerebko / Young
Bradley / Martin / Hunter
Smart /Isaiah / Rozier         

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 12:00:18 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I don't mind this deal.

I feel like we should get more back though.  I feel that the production of Sully + Turner is about equal to Martin, but the fact that Sully and Turner are both 25 or under (with potential to still improve) puts us slighly on the worse end of the deal. 

Throw in a late first rounder or a high second-rounder and I'd take it.

The Wolves are rebuilding and will want young talent, while we really need a starting caliber SF who can score the ball and help us win games now.  I think it works for both teams.

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 12:20:30 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
I've contemplated a trade along these lines recently as well, but mine has a different twist. Minnesota needs to shed unneeded cap space and sign guys who are a better fit.

They'd like to move Martin and Turner is a more versatile player anyway. With Towns in tow and Pekovic locked up for a long contract, Dieng is redundant - he's more of a center than he is a PF. While redundant for Minny, he could be a nice rotational guy for us at center. We get Martin this year and maybe trade him at the deadline next year or sign him for reasonable money if there's a fit.

Sully give them a guy who can stretch the floor a bit for Pekovic and Towns - certainly far better than Dieng.

We waive PJ III...

Zeller / Olynyk / Dieng
Lee / Johnson / Mickey
Smart /Isaiah / Rozier         

If we could get Dieng, this would be a steal!!  I would likely include a future first of ours, lottery protected!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 01:03:12 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Phosita, who do you think Martin's ceiling is?

I'm confused by this question because Kevin Martin is past 30 at this point.  His ceiling is . . . himself.  He is who he is.  A quality, veteran scorer who should come off the bench because he's prone to breaking down and he's not a very good defender.

His ceiling, I guess, is a 12-15 point per game scorer off the bench for a contender, who fits in better than iso-chuckers like Jamal Crawford and J.R. Smith because he doesn't need the ball in his hands much.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 07:45:01 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I've always love Kevin Martin and he would be better off with us than the TWolves. However, I don't think the Celtics are in a position to add a player like Martin to this squad. We already have a sparkplug scorer off the bench in IT. I think Martin would be better off going to a contender at the trade deadline.

I'd still like to think that, even though I can't stand him, Sully could be packaged with picks and another young player to get us a solid borderline All Star or better type player. Maybe Im just pipe dreaming there. But I think you could build a better package around Sully to net the player we covet.

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 09:58:36 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

We waive PJ III...

Zeller / Olynyk / Dieng
Lee / Johnson / Mickey
Smart /Isaiah / Rozier         

Pekovic's ability to play at all in the future is in serious question. He's suffering from some nasty injuries.

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 10:12:02 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I don't mind this deal.

I feel like we should get more back though.  I feel that the production of Sully + Turner is about equal to Martin, but the fact that Sully and Turner are both 25 or under (with potential to still improve) puts us slighly on the worse end of the deal. 

Throw in a late first rounder or a high second-rounder and I'd take it.

The Wolves are rebuilding and will want young talent, while we really need a starting caliber SF who can score the ball and help us win games now.  I think it works for both teams.
If they took the protection off the first they owe us this year (or scale it back to top 5 instead of top 12), I'd throw in Young too. 

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 10:35:38 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I would be fine with this deal but I'd prefer they try to acquire a trade chip that can be more easily packaged to try to acquire a superstar.

If we dealt Turner, I would probably prefer RJ Hunter get a shot at absorbing some of his minutes rather than giving them to Kevin Martin.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 10:39:09 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

We waive PJ III...

Zeller / Olynyk / Dieng
Lee / Johnson / Mickey
Smart /Isaiah / Rozier         

If we could get Dieng, this would be a steal!!  I would likely include a future first of ours, lottery protected!!!

Smitty77

I would offer them back their first (or most likely two 2nds) and see if they would go for it. I would probably rather have Turner than Martin, nevermind Turner AND Sully. Dieng would be the real reason for doing this trade.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 01:23:50 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 11:09:07 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Cavs make more sense

How about this for a weird trade

Cavs - Sign and Trade Thompson on 4 yr max to Minnesota for Martin and Pekovic
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson