Author Topic: Potential player comparisons for our rookies - what do you think?  (Read 7234 times)

Re: Potential player comparisons for our rookies - what do you think?
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2015, 08:19:04 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I was just exaggerating lol.

I already know how this thread was going to most likely turn out.

Realistically, I do think RJ can be like Kevin Martin, with better passable defense. I see him as a 14-18 PPG scorer in the future if his ball handling can improve. Hes already a legit skilled passing guard with two way potentiality.

As for Rozier someone made a thread about guess who this player was, and he had literally almost every characteristic/draft combine measurements as Westbrook. Do I think he'll ever be anything like Westbrook? Absolutely not. But hes very athletic, and can certainly finish. He reminds me of a mix of CJ Watson and Monta Ellis.

Mickey is hard to pinpoint, because he can either be Ibaka, Biyombo, or a skinnier Taj Gibson. If he ever improves his ball handling and improves his passing IQ, then he could be like a Draymond Green in the similar mold as mid range shooter that can step out to the 3, and can defend 2-4 positions.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2015, 08:26:33 PM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
RJ: Poor mans Kevin Martin
Mickey: A less effective Ibaka
Rozier: Westbrook

You think Terry Rozier could become Russell Westbrook?

Athletically is a lot closer to Westbrook than CJ Watson.   Play style too.   Ability,  probably not.   I think he'll be good though.   Very explosive.   Decent shooting stroke.

Rozier reminds me a bit of Monta Ellis.

Good call.   Rozier has a bigger wingspan so he can defend his position.  6' 2.75" vs 6' 8.25"

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2015, 08:43:19 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Lot of aggressive comps here. Lar is purposefully being silly, but may be closest. These are very optimistic, but in an attempt to be realistic re: ceiling...

Rozier - Kemba (offense)/Bledsoe (defense). Hybrid, probably halfway to each. Would be ecstatic to see him find the success they have had. He's the biggest wildcard of the group imo.

Hunter - Kevin Martin (offense)/ Tayshaun Prince (defense). Hybrid, and if he reaches Martin's offensive production alone, I'd be jacked. Doubt he'll be Prince defensively, but if he can utilize his length similarly, could be a plus defender.

Mickey - No clue, as he's undersized for position and has a mix of big (more) and small (less) traits. At this stage, an Ibaka comparison is wildly inappropriate, but no idea of what to make of him. His size (at his position) doesn't historically translate to the NBA, but relatively speaking, not being fat and lazy may help his cause in the near future.
This thread is chock full of ridiculousness.   You have a better chance of seeing RJ Hunter become Brian Scalabrine (similar college stats, similar draft range, similar summerleague stats) than some of the names people are throwing around here (Reggie Miller, Kevin Martin, etc).   If he ends up a taller level-headed Delonte West, it's a win.
Not sure if Miller was just me in this thread but in my defense incase you meant me; I don't care much for Martin or Miller so those weren't big high or lows for RJ for me. I consider Martin and Miller to be very one dimensional despite their efforts. RJ doesn't have size to be a good defender but could probably fill it up on a bad team offensively if he develops.
Jack for Rozier as a low isn't great. Jack is worse than sane* West.
As for Mickey, Thompson is a roleplayer and Joe Smith was a decent player but nothing too good . Joe had only a few great years because he had help and easy shots.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 11:51:13 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2015, 12:22:13 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
I'm putting it out there Hunter and Rozier are going to be above average starters. People on this thread are ridiculous. So basically because they aren't a top ten pick, they're ceiling is a role player.  ::)

Talk about being stupid. Use your eyes. Rozier can handle the ball well which is the most important offensive tool in basketball. He already looks like he is much improved from the Summer League. I can't wait to come back in this forum in the future. I hope Lbrrd and Phosita won't go hiding because I'm confident both players will be good.

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2015, 12:24:57 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129

I'm putting it out there Hunter and Rozier are going to be above average starters. People on this thread are ridiculous. So basically because they aren't a top ten pick, their ceiling is a role player.  ::)

Talk about being stupid. Use your eyes. Rozier can handle the ball well which is the most important offensive tool in basketball. He already looks like he is much improved from the Summer League. I can't wait to come back in this forum in the future. I hope Lbrrd and Phosita won't go hiding because I'm confident both players will be good.

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2015, 01:25:13 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Athletically is a lot closer to Westbrook than CJ Watson.   Play style too.   Ability,  probably not.   I think he'll be good though.   Very explosive.   Decent shooting stroke.

Rozier reminds me a bit of Monta Ellis.

I'm more concerned with how productive these guys will be and what sort of role they will play.

I could say that Rozier reminds me of Monta, Hunter reminds me of Danny Green, and Jordan Mickey reminds me of Serge Ibaka.  Those are comparisons I've seen brought up around here.

But who cares if none of these guys actually produces like those players, or ever earns a starting role?

I'll be pleased if Rozier is a solid defensive role player with some scoring and ballhandling ability; if Hunter is a bench shooter who is good enough defensively to get minutes; and if Mickey is good enough against fully developed NBA big men to come in and give the team some boards, some blocks, and a basket or two when pressed into service for a few minutes here and there.

Based on where they were drafted, and the assessment of their talent at draft time, I think that's reasonable.  I'd love to be surprised.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2015, 02:20:02 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
I didn't look into Rozier pre-draft thinking we'd target an Anderson, RHJ, or Dekker but I've seen a few Lillard comparisons. I'd take it.

RJH = Kevin Martin. Non lotto players who played at smaller schools and can shoot from anywhere.

Mickey = Chuck Hayes. Undersized center who is tough and plays solid defense.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2015, 03:37:05 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

I really like Rozier but I have to admit, that one did throw me off a little!

Me too! It was kinda shocking after seeing the semi-reasonable comparisons for RJ and Mickey.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 03:42:06 PM by max215 »
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2015, 02:58:04 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
What in the world are you talking about?  D'Angelo Russell and Julius Randle were playing summer league games.  Should the Lakers coach be fired?

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Los_Angeles_Lakers/13/Rosters/Summer_League

Why is it we are the only team sending our second year guys and draft picks to play in the summer league?  Every other team is sending out YMCA rec league guys are we are running Marcus Smart out there.  Ainge needs to be fired.  Or he is a genius and every other team's GM needs to be fired.

As for our own rookies.  I like the Rozier to Bledsoe comparison.

For RJ Hunter, I like the Klay Thompson comp.

And for Mickey... I have no idea.  He is short but he is really mobile and long for an undersized big man.  Shot-blocking is his strength.  Maybe he could comp to 6'9 Andrei Kirilenko (#24th pick) as shot-blocker, but I haven't seen enough of Mickey to judge his offensive game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlY_7jFQDWk

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2015, 04:24:05 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
What in the world are you talking about?  D'Angelo Russell and Julius Randle were playing summer league games.  Should the Lakers coach be fired?

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Los_Angeles_Lakers/13/Rosters/Summer_League

Why is it we are the only team sending our second year guys and draft picks to play in the summer league?  Every other team is sending out YMCA rec league guys are we are running Marcus Smart out there.  Ainge needs to be fired.  Or he is a genius and every other team's GM needs to be fired.

As for our own rookies.  I like the Rozier to Bledsoe comparison.

For RJ Hunter, I like the Klay Thompson comp.

And for Mickey... I have no idea.  He is short but he is really mobile and long for an undersized big man.  Shot-blocking is his strength.  Maybe he could comp to 6'9 Andrei Kirilenko (#24th pick) as shot-blocker, but I haven't seen enough of Mickey to judge his offensive game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlY_7jFQDWk
Seems you only like best case comparisons.