Author Topic: Potential player comparisons for our rookies - what do you think?  (Read 7205 times)

Re: Potential player comparisons for our rookies - what do you think?
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 01:03:48 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
RJ: Poor mans Kevin Martin
Mickey: A less effective Ibaka
Rozier: Westbrook

You think Terry Rozier could become Russell Westbrook?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 02:13:41 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

I really like Rozier but I have to admit, that one did throw me off a little!

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 03:54:20 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Lot of aggressive comps here. Lar is purposefully being silly, but may be closest. These are very optimistic, but in an attempt to be realistic re: ceiling...

Rozier - Kemba (offense)/Bledsoe (defense). Hybrid, probably halfway to each. Would be ecstatic to see him find the success they have had. He's the biggest wildcard of the group imo.

Hunter - Kevin Martin (offense)/ Tayshaun Prince (defense). Hybrid, and if he reaches Martin's offensive production alone, I'd be jacked. Doubt he'll be Prince defensively, but if he can utilize his length similarly, could be a plus defender.

Mickey - No clue, as he's undersized for position and has a mix of big (more) and small (less) traits. At this stage, an Ibaka comparison is wildly inappropriate, but no idea of what to make of him. His size (at his position) doesn't historically translate to the NBA, but relatively speaking, not being fat and lazy may help his cause in the near future. 

« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 04:34:02 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 05:10:49 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Lot of aggressive comps here. Lar is purposefully being silly, but may be closest. These are very optimistic, but in an attempt to be realistic re: ceiling...

Rozier - Kemba (offense)/Bledsoe (defense). Hybrid, probably halfway to each. Would be ecstatic to see him find the success they have had. He's the biggest wildcard of the group imo.

Hunter - Kevin Martin (offense)/ Tayshaun Prince (defense). Hybrid, and if he reaches Martin's offensive production alone, I'd be jacked. Doubt he'll be Prince defensively, but if he can utilize his length similarly, could be a plus defender.

Mickey - No clue, as he's undersized for position and has a mix of big (more) and small (less) traits. At this stage, an Ibaka comparison is wildly inappropriate, but no idea of what to make of him. His size (at his position) doesn't historically translate to the NBA, but relatively speaking, not being fat and lazy may help his cause in the near future.
This thread is chock full of ridiculousness.   You have a better chance of seeing RJ Hunter become Brian Scalabrine (similar college stats, similar draft range, similar summerleague stats) than some of the names people are throwing around here (Reggie Miller, Kevin Martin, etc).   If he ends up a taller level-headed Delonte West, it's a win.   

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2015, 05:13:06 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

This thread is chock full of ridiculousness.   You have a better chance of seeing RJ Hunter become Brian Scalabrine (similar college stats, similar draft range, similar summerleague stats) than some of the names people are throwing around here (Reggie Miller, Kevin Martin, etc).   If he ends up a taller level-headed Delonte West, it's a major win.

I stand by my C.J. Watson / Jodie Meeks / Solomon Jones comparisons.  Though Meeks is a pretty decent player, maybe R.J. will be more like Elliot Williams.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2015, 05:14:27 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
CJ Watson, Jodie Meeks, Solomon Jones.
Reasonable

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2015, 05:15:40 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

This thread is chock full of ridiculousness.   You have a better chance of seeing RJ Hunter become Brian Scalabrine (similar college stats, similar draft range, similar summerleague stats) than some of the names people are throwing around here (Reggie Miller, Kevin Martin, etc).   If he ends up a taller level-headed Delonte West, it's a major win.

I stand by my C.J. Watson / Jodie Meeks / Solomon Jones comparisons.  Though Meeks is a pretty decent player, maybe R.J. will be more like Elliot Williams.

Those make more sense.  TP

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2015, 05:19:44 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Rozier: Something of a Monica, I think - petite and spunky.
RJ: Definitely a Rachel, pampered, sassy but a lil bit sweet.
Mickey is totally a Phoebe.

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2015, 05:22:54 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
tp
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2015, 05:23:35 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Nice.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2015, 07:33:47 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Those make more sense.  TP

I think my post was misinterpreted. To clarify, I was drawing comparisons in terms of size/frame and style of play (e.g., RJ Hunter's game resembles Martin's more than it resembles Meeks). But the point is drawing comparisons, not comparing ceilings. I expected him to play like Kevin Martin at the level of say, sure, a Meeks.

"Rozier - Kemba (offense)/Bledsoe (defense). Hybrid, probably halfway to each," was meant to be taken very literally. So saying the 16th pick will be half as good as Kemba offensively and half as good as Bledsoe defensively is crazy-talk? If their ceilings were lower than that, they wouldn't have been drafted.

Idk who Solomon Jones nor Elliot Williams are, but I imagine that is the point. If 1 of the 3 becomes a rotation player I'd be content. If Rozier has the athleticism to be more (unclear), he could develop into something more special. No clue yet. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 07:51:18 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2015, 07:47:11 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Granted it is preseason but Rozier looked nice today in his minutes.

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2015, 07:52:33 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I didn't watch them in College so I've exclusively seen these guys play against inferior undrafted semi-pros in Summerleague and the preseason game against Euros.  You can't really determine anything from that.   So I'll just pull some overly optimistic names out of my butt.

Rozier - Marcus Banks. 
Hunter - Delonte West
Mickey - Leon Powe

Let's see how they play when matched up against NBA players.

Why is it we are the only team sending our second year guys and draft picks to play in the summer league?  Every other team is sending out YMCA rec league guys are we are running Marcus Smart out there.  Ainge needs to be fired.  Or he is a genius and every other team's GM needs to be fired.

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2015, 08:08:52 PM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44

Athletically is a lot closer to Westbrook than CJ Watson.   Play style too.   Ability,  probably not.   I think he'll be good though.   Very explosive.   Decent shooting stroke.   

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2015, 08:13:52 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Athletically is a lot closer to Westbrook than CJ Watson.   Play style too.   Ability,  probably not.   I think he'll be good though.   Very explosive.   Decent shooting stroke.

Rozier reminds me a bit of Monta Ellis.