Author Topic: How can Danny possibly keep James Young in this roster?  (Read 20818 times)

Re: How can Danny possibly keep James Young in this roster?
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2015, 02:04:08 PM »

Offline LHR

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Executive Producer & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
It's amazing how the roster is sorting itself out on its own.  I know we don't want to be impatient and Young was definitely going to be a project, but there hasn't been a shred of advancement from the mental aspect with him.  I'm disappointed.  I thought he could at least show *something* and I hate to use cliche phrases to describe players, but boy it does not seem like he has the makeup whatsoever.

Sully has been surpassed almost by default.  Lee and Johnson compliment eachother well on what they can do.  Sully can easily come out and give you that 18-11 game on 7/12 shooting and get your hopes up, but it's physically impossible for him (literally) to do that consistently so he has been relegated to the backend.

Jones on the other hand is effectively a washout and he's doing himself no favors by being unavailable.  Circumstances I know, but if my career was on the line, I'd sacrifice everything I had.

Seems like Brad will have his 9 guys after all.
Author: Fall of the Boston Celtics
Available Here: http://www.clnsradio/LHRbook

EP & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Available here: http://apple.co/1E29sq0

« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2015, 02:08:34 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
This thread is rediculous. Preposterous. Silly. Obscene. Downright foolish.

James Young is a _project_ pick. Beyond that, he was the youngest of all the players picked on draft night. He is _still_ the youngest player on our team a year and 4 new rookies later. Projects take time before they start to pay off. But now, one full season later, people are sick of waiting and want to dump him for nothing? Are you kidding me? Are you trolling?

And it's not as if we haven't been able to see progress with James. A year after entering the league, Young is noticeably stronger, more focused, and more driven on defense. He has shown much better aggression on both ends of the floor, at times exhibiting the ability to put the ball on the floor and make strong moves to the hoop. He's not great at finishing yet, but James Young from this preseason is heads and shoulders more engaged and aggressive than James Young 'the 3 point chucker' last season.

Is he a basketball player yet? No. Does he have a ways to go? Yes (I think he's probably 2 years away from contributing meaningfully). What's the rush? We aren't in "win-now" mode. We're in "wait and see" mode. Almost all of celticsblog acknowledges the celtics need for a superstar. With none on the immediate horizon, Ainge is biding his time and remaining flexible. Giving James Young time to grow into a NBA player fits into that plan perfectly.

TL;DR--You people are silly, impatient, and ignoring the progress he's made in only 1 year because he's not ready to contribute at the level you want. Drafting projects and giving up on them a year later is not the way to banner 18. Leave James Young alone.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2015, 02:12:36 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
there has been nothing but praise by ainge and brad unless we see him in practice,how do we know how he is doing-

« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2015, 02:32:59 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I thought Young was going to be a Red Claw again this year.  Am I wrong?

« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2015, 02:53:03 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I thought Young was going to be a Red Claw again this year.  Am I wrong?

If Young is a Red Claw he still takes up one of our 15 roster spots.  If he makes the roster, he'll be a Red Claw.  The debate here is if it makes sense to invest a roster spot in him so that he can spend his second year in Maine.

« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2015, 04:04:19 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
A few weeks ago Ainge was quoted praising Young and called him one of the best young prospects, and reportedly multiple NBA GMs told him Young was the best prospect they have ever seen in the D league.

http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2015/9/25/9398411/danny-ainge-praises-james-young-following-nba-d-league-assignment-time

I'm sure Ainge knew this kid needed 3 years to develop when he drafted him. I can't understand why mos fans want to dump him after 1 season. I mean, it's not like we are a contender and need the roster spot for a vet.

« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2015, 04:53:07 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
A few weeks ago Ainge was quoted praising Young and called him one of the best young prospects, and reportedly multiple NBA GMs told him Young was the best prospect they have ever seen in the D league.

http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2015/9/25/9398411/danny-ainge-praises-james-young-following-nba-d-league-assignment-time

I'm sure Ainge knew this kid needed 3 years to develop when he drafted him. I can't understand why mos fans want to dump him after 1 season. I mean, it's not like we are a contender and need the roster spot for a vet.

Or Danny is spinning Young in the hope someone will take him off our hands.  Roster spot would be for someone who has shown promise instead of someone who so  far has shown nothing and looks like he may never get it. 
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2015, 04:54:37 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Or Danny is spinning Young in the hope someone will take him off our hands.  Roster spot would be for someone who has shown promise instead of someone who so  far has shown nothing and looks like he may never get it.

Maybe you missed the part where most of the praise came from other GMs

Also, the new statistical CARMELO player rating system rates James Young very well , and that has no bias:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4720557/carmelos-thoughts-on-each-celtics-player
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 05:01:35 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2015, 05:02:52 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
This thread is rediculous. Preposterous. Silly. Obscene. Downright foolish.

James Young is a _project_ pick. Beyond that, he was the youngest of all the players picked on draft night. He is _still_ the youngest player on our team a year and 4 new rookies later. Projects take time before they start to pay off. But now, one full season later, people are sick of waiting and want to dump him for nothing? Are you kidding me? Are you trolling?

And it's not as if we haven't been able to see progress with James. A year after entering the league, Young is noticeably stronger, more focused, and more driven on defense. He has shown much better aggression on both ends of the floor, at times exhibiting the ability to put the ball on the floor and make strong moves to the hoop. He's not great at finishing yet, but James Young from this preseason is heads and shoulders more engaged and aggressive than James Young 'the 3 point chucker' last season.

Is he a basketball player yet? No. Does he have a ways to go? Yes (I think he's probably 2 years away from contributing meaningfully). What's the rush? We aren't in "win-now" mode. We're in "wait and see" mode. Almost all of celticsblog acknowledges the celtics need for a superstar. With none on the immediate horizon, Ainge is biding his time and remaining flexible. Giving James Young time to grow into a NBA player fits into that plan perfectly.

TL;DR--You people are silly, impatient, and ignoring the progress he's made in only 1 year because he's not ready to contribute at the level you want. Drafting projects and giving up on them a year later is not the way to banner 18. Leave James Young alone.

I think the problem is the lack of improvement and the fact that he looked horrible in the Summer League were he should have been the second or third best player on the team. Smart was dominating with ease, Young should have been able to drop 15 every game. Plus he got hurt again, which yeah small injury, but still something that needs to be watched.

Now I was a big defender of Young last year, knowing how far behind he was, but man, he should have been able to look like he's gotten better in SL with guys he's at the same level with. I get how young he is, but when two rooks look so much better than him in a hand full of games, it's starting to worry me.

I'd much rather move TE, Sully and PJ3 and keep Young right now, but if GM's are liking the kid and you can get a legit starter at the SF position that is ready now, you pull that trigger and worry about biting you in the butt later.

« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2015, 05:23:34 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Maybe you missed the part where most of the praise came from other GMs

Also, the new statistical CARMELO player rating system rates James Young very well , and that has no bias:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4720557/carmelos-thoughts-on-each-celtics-player

Guessing there's some sarcasm here... but at any rate, CARMELO predicts Young won't be a plus defender through 2022. However, he will be a plus offensive player by 2019. Woop woop.  :P
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 05:37:57 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #85 on: October 10, 2015, 05:38:36 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
I get that James Young was a project taken at 17, but given what I've seen from only 2 games in the preseason, it feels like he's already slipped behind both Rozier and Hunter.  Now granted, it is only 2 games, but that still isn't a good sign for him that he seems to have fallen down the depth chart behind two rookies.

And even in just the eye test from these first 2 games, I do have to admit that Rozier actually looks like he may turn out to be a solid pick.  I already have more confidence in Rozier than I ever have in the 1+ year of watching James Young.

I can't help but continue to think that at some point, whether it be in season or next summer, that he'd be included in some deal.  He may get an opportunity to truly show he belongs in the NBA, but I'm not sure if it'll be for this team.  There just doesn't seem to be enough minutes to go around to give him that chance.

« Reply #86 on: October 10, 2015, 06:38:28 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Puns of steel
I think the problem is the lack of improvement and the fact that he looked horrible in the Summer League were he should have been the second or third best player on the team. Smart was dominating with ease, Young should have been able to drop 15 every game. Plus he got hurt again, which yeah small injury, but still something that needs to be watched.

Now I was a big defender of Young last year, knowing how far behind he was, but man, he should have been able to look like he's gotten better in SL with guys he's at the same level with. I get how young he is, but when two rooks look so much better than him in a hand full of games, it's starting to worry me.

If you had said "lack of _statistical_ improvement" you'd have been more accurate. Young was loads better on defense and was way more checked into the game mentally. Then there's the biggest change... His physical presence was drastically increased--he owned his space and was getting his spots. His footwork, on offense and defense was markedly improved. He hit the deck for loose balls. He was mentally checked into the game and aggressive. These are the kinds of things that will eventually translate to the NBA as he puts it all together. He didn't hit his shots, but neither did RJ Hunter for the first few games. I think these improvements are super encouraging, especially the improvements to his body, as they are indicative of him working HARD behind the scenes. If he's a hard worker, it's not a question of IF, it's a question of WHEN.

You state that you were expecting him to put up 15 a game. You state that you wanted him to make a similar jump to Marcus Smart. I think that expectation might be a bit out of wack. Smart was projected to be one of the most NBA ready guys in the draft. A better comparison would be to Rodney Hood, who was drafted around the same place as Young. Hood definitely outplayed Young, but when they were drafted Hood was considered a high floor/low ceiling kind of guy and Young a low floor/high ceiling.

I wish Young had averaged 15 too, but I think it's better that he's learning the basis of good basketball than if he hadn't but his shots fell. The talent he has is still there. He just needs to develop to the point where his talent starts to be a factor.
Pro:

Anti:

« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2015, 07:19:56 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I would like to see one game, check that...one half where Young shows the possibility that he will turn into a useful NBA player, never mind starter. It's been a long time since I've seen him show anything at all. Last year was time spent in Maine, where he showed well, until he was sent to Boston, where he showed almost nothing. I know, he's young.

This summer league and 15 lb. of added muscle, brought on higher expectations, and still nothing, then he got hurt.
So now we're in pre season, and still he's behind Hunter, Rosier, and Mickey in player development. I for one need to see something, any type of potential, to hope that he's not a bust. Give us one game of 9 points, 3-4 rebounds, 2 assists, and adequate defense. He just looks flat out, uncomfortable on the court.

« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2015, 09:51:13 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
lol

I can't believe I'm seeing these threads again so quickly. The logic is basically "He's not good today so he'll never be good" even though he's still the youngest guy on the roster. Ridiculous. I'll starttaking the criticism more seriously when the kid is old enough to guy a drink.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2015, 09:55:38 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Puns of steel
lol

I can't believe I'm seeing these threads again so quickly. The logic is basically "He's not good today so he'll never be good" even though he's still the youngest guy on the roster. Ridiculous. I'll starttaking the criticism more seriously when the kid is old enough to guy a drink.

tp
Pro:

Anti: