Author Topic: How can Danny possibly keep James Young in this roster?  (Read 20768 times)

Re: How can Danny possibly keep James Young in this roster?
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2015, 04:38:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Young reminds me of a less talented Gerald Green.  Took Green a very long time to develop into a decent NBA player.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2015, 06:01:19 PM »

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 84
I missed the second half of the Real Madrid game, but please inform me: did Young played any better or the usual "deer in the headlights" game?

« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2015, 07:49:43 PM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
I missed the second half of the Real Madrid game, but please inform me: did Young played any better or the usual "deer in the headlights" game?

if I remember correctly he made one three pointer. passed the ball right to an opponent for an easy layup. got beat up on defense and did a lot of unmemorable things.
kid's got to wake up real quick because we just have too many players busting their butt to make this team!!!

« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2015, 08:20:05 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
Young reminds me of a less talented Gerald Green.  Took Green a very long time to develop into a decent NBA player.

This!  :)
Well said! Ainge did not want to necessarily include Green in the KG trade.  At the time, Pierce thought that Gerald Green had the talent to be an All Star one day-if he put the work in.
It's too bad we couldn't stash James Young in Europe for a few years.  As it stands, he's a long term option.  It doesn't look like he is going to earn any immediate time on the roster as it stands.
Hard to believe that Danny doesn't make a move to clear up some of the logjams at some point this season.  :police
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2015, 09:06:27 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Last season I said it would take 3 years for Young to have any impact on the game. Looking at his first to second year, I'm thinking longer at this point.

Why he looked like he had a killer instinct in the final four, and in the D-League(guessing its more of the lack of D there) but can't bring it to the NBA so far, I'm not sure. And it's not that he's not making shots, it's just he's not even really looking to do anything, and he's just standing there.

Even in Summer League he should have been head and shoulders over the rooks, but looked just as lost as he does in real games.

I would still be willing to give it a couple years and see if he can get his head on straight, but Hunter has everything Young should have at this point. He's making really good plays, and a lot of the time the right play, shooting will come, but he's just been solid, even on D.

I'm not saying Hunter will be an All-Star, but right now he's so much better than Young, and it' kills me to say that because I've been backing the kid all year. But when you don't look better than the year before, and the rook is playing at a higher level right off the bat, I'd go with Hunter over Young at this point.

Last season I thought it might bit us in the butt to trade Young down the road. Now not so much.

« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2015, 09:18:58 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
by legally changing his name to James Harden

« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2015, 09:41:40 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I hope won't turn into a fab melo part 2.    Rodney Hood looks like would of been aa better pick at the moment

« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2015, 09:59:43 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I've been critical of Young's lack of development. 

But in fairness, I thought he played good defense vs Madrid. 

I think he should try to emulate Ray Allen. I'm not saying he will ever be that good. He won't.  But he has a very sweet stroke.  He needs to learn how to work hard to get open, come off of screens and get his shot off quickly.  Rick Hamilton would be another prototype to emulate.  He will not be the kind of guy to slash/drive a lot, just doesn't have that type of handle. Neither did Ray, really (although better than Young, sure).

« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2015, 11:31:48 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I"m joining the pig pile.  I just want to add that his outside stroke doesn't look all that promising to me.  His feet are always sideways when he shoots--never squared with the toes pointing towards the hoop. 

I've been willing to give him time, but I certainly won't lose much sleep if we cut him lose. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2015, 11:54:39 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Hunter is already a much better player.

« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2015, 11:51:23 AM »

Online feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93

if I remember correctly he made one three pointer. passed the ball right to an opponent for an easy layup. got beat up on defense and did a lot of unmemorable things.
kid's got to wake up real quick because we just have too many players busting their butt to make this team!!!

That pretty much describes what I saw--no sign of improvement after the one 3!
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2015, 11:57:26 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
[Edited.] Personal attacks are not allowed. Please do not do it again. -R.H.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 08:17:02 PM by Roy H. »

« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2015, 12:02:14 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
I don't understand what the poster wants Ainge to do? At this point Ainge is stuck. I'd rather keep young instead of Jones. I mean what has Perry Jones shown? And he's older so yeah, get used to seeing James young on this team.

« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2015, 12:22:01 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
just my observation from preseason....Young's time is NOW, not next year or whatever time people think he has....with Terry, and even HUNTER playing well in preseason, if Young don't act now and play more aggressive, he'll have a short NBA career.

In my honest opinion, preseason for me is seeing the rookies who may contribute in the future or immediately, and not so much the starters...

Young has shown nothing that he can contribute to our team now or in the future.

« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2015, 01:51:45 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
He s look some better .  But still way behind Hunter in overall IQ .  Hunter was coaches son, leader of his team ,  had to carry the team , understands pressure .

Young has great athletic abilities and nice touch .   Just not convinced he has the IQ or instincts that Hunter or Crowder have.   

Still to early to call .  Got another two years  at least to wait out LeBron to finally decline .  So no big hurry I suppose.

At the moment , unless a major star like Durrant comes east .....LeBron has a stronghold on the East conference.