Author Topic: Celtics (1-0) at Real Madrid (0-0) Preseason Game #2 10/8/15  (Read 29469 times)

Re: Celtics (1-0) at Real Madrid (0-0) Preseason Game #2 10/8/15
« Reply #180 on: October 08, 2015, 05:29:27 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Smart with a game today more like what he did last year.  1-6, 7 pts 5 ast with 5 fouls. 0-2 from deep.  But he did get to the line 6 times.

The aggression is the difference. He just needs to put it all together. I'd rather see that stat line the way he played today than him last year just jacking up 3s

I agree, though I think the three pointer is an important part of his game because he's never going to be a great finisher or have an explosive first step.

If he really did get to the line 6 times (wasn't counting), that's absolutely nothing like what he did last year.

his injury last year that contributed to him jacking up 3s might be a small blessing in disguise...I'm just thinking, that that may have helped him gain confidence shooting the 3 ball. Now that his ankle is fully healed, I want to see him be more aggressive driving to the hoop and jack less 3s....

If he only shoots 2-3 threes a game and makes 1, but averages like 5-6 points from the FT line, I'll take it

« Reply #181 on: October 08, 2015, 05:31:43 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Small sample size, but "Avery Bradley can shoot open corner threes" is more or less my favorite storyline from the preseason so far.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #182 on: October 08, 2015, 05:31:47 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Let's just remember that Ainge drafted three guys who spent multiple years in college and they're all 21 years old. 

They each have some real skills, but how much room they have to grow and whether they can be more than limited role players at this level remains to be seen.

Also they're playing against a bunch of dudes who probably wouldn't even hold down a roster spot in the NBA.

Since when did 21 become 31 ?

21 is fully grown (in terms of frame, not necessarily muscle) and guys who come into the league at that age typically don't show as much improvement as guys who come in as teenagers.  It's pretty well documented.

You're being quite ridiculous with your statements.  21 means nothing.  Still room to grow and become great.  Don't set a limit on a 21 year old.  All 3 have a shot with their talents.

How is it quite ridiculous to say that 3 guys selected in the mid to late 1st / early 2nd of a draft that was considered pretty weak will probably just be role players in the NBA and that they might not have a ton of room for improvement?

If these guys had the potential to become much more than what they are now, they wouldn't have been available when the Celts were picking.
Bingo... and Ainge wouldn't have been willing to trade all three of them + an unprotected Brooklyn 1st rounder just to move up and select Justice Winslow.  Odds are, none of our rookies will ever amount to anything.

Yeah, because where you're picked means you can't or can play the game, right ?

Ridiculous statements on here by you jabroni's.
'

Actually, that's exactly what it means. That's why some players get drafted before others, and why some players never get drafted or signed at all.
I think someones draft spot is indicative of the value at the time of the draft a lot more than it is of their value a couple years in.

Yes I would have liked Winslow, but it doesn't mean that none of our rookies will develop. I'd say this rookie class looks real good and as a whole better than we have had in a while.

The odds are actually much better that one of our rookies becomes a rotation player based on draft slot than none of them do.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #183 on: October 08, 2015, 05:33:25 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Smart with a game today more like what he did last year.  1-6, 7 pts 5 ast with 5 fouls. 0-2 from deep.  But he did get to the line 6 times.

The aggression is the difference. He just needs to put it all together. I'd rather see that stat line the way he played today than him last year just jacking up 3s

I agree, though I think the three pointer is an important part of his game because he's never going to be a great finisher or have an explosive first step.

If he really did get to the line 6 times (wasn't counting), that's absolutely nothing like what he did last year.

He got to the line sometimes last year, but yeah, it's a nice development in his game to see that he's attacking more.  More talking about the lower point total and the low, low shooting percentage.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #184 on: October 08, 2015, 05:35:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

The odds are actually much better that one of our rookies becomes a rotation player based on draft slot than none of them do.

I feel pretty good about at least a couple of them turning into rotation role players.  These guys have clearly discernible skills that appear to translate at least somewhat to the NBA level.

Lots of people are talking about them as draft steals and comparing them to guys who are building blocks for other teams -- above average NBA starters.  There's not much reason to think that's in the cards for any of these rookies at this point in time. 

Not to say it can't or won't happen, but it's not especially likely given their ages and where they were drafted, and it's especially unlikely that we're going to see any of them play very much this season, unless there are injuries.

I mean, look, it's a bummer, but I really don't think we came away from this draft with any major building blocks.  Just more "nice players."  That was the cost of making the playoffs / not sealing a deal to move up on draft day.

It is what it is.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #185 on: October 08, 2015, 05:36:20 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

He got to the line sometimes last year, but yeah, it's a nice development in his game to see that he's attacking more.  More talking about the lower point total and the low, low shooting percentage.
Low standard stats with the highest plus minus on the team, is very similar to last year.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #186 on: October 08, 2015, 05:37:24 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Low standard stats with the highest plus minus on the team, is very similar to last year.

Yup.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #187 on: October 08, 2015, 05:37:41 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143

It's critical. We've always wanted to believe that the reason a guy whose only functional offensive game was the dribble drive in college was suddenly doing nothing but jacking up threes was his injury as opposed to his athleticism not being good enough for the NBA. Small sample size, but the evidence that it's the former rather than the latter is mounting.

He's never going to be a monster on offense, but if he can shoot 33~34% from the three, drive and get to the line 5+ times a game, and play the elite defense he already plays, that's a fine starting point guard and maybe a borderline all-star some day.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #188 on: October 08, 2015, 05:44:07 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

He's never going to be a monster on offense, but if he can shoot 33~34% from the three, drive and get to the line 5+ times a game, and play the elite defense he already plays, that's a fine starting point guard and maybe a borderline all-star some day.

Absolutely.

If Smart becomes a guy who gives you 12-14 points, a handful of assists, a handful of rebounds, a couple of steals, and 4-5 trips to the line per game with some decent shooting percentages, that's a really nice piece to have.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #189 on: October 08, 2015, 06:40:11 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
So ...I just finished watching  :)

Lee was ball n his tail,off .....wow......what a steal ....at any price.

He did more in one game ....than Wallace did the whole time four years in Boston ....LOL

I was super impressed with Rozier .   He can stoke it.     No fear in that kid.

IT , Smart and Sully looked to be off .   The refs made some seriously bad calls on Smart

Mickey played well .

Missed Amir .    He is awesome in the paint.

Good win. :)

« Reply #190 on: October 08, 2015, 06:44:54 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Let's just remember that Ainge drafted three guys who spent multiple years in college and they're all 21 years old. 

They each have some real skills, but how much room they have to grow and whether they can be more than limited role players at this level remains to be seen.

Also they're playing against a bunch of dudes who probably wouldn't even hold down a roster spot in the NBA.

21 is fully grown (in terms of frame, not necessarily muscle) and guys who come into the league at that age typically don't show as much improvement as guys who come in as teenagers.  It's pretty well documented.

You're being quite ridiculous with your statements.  21 means nothing.  Still room to grow and become great.  Don't set a limit on a 21 year old.  All 3 have a shot with their talents.

How is it quite ridiculous to say that 3 guys selected in the mid to late 1st / early 2nd of a draft that was considered pretty weak will probably just be role players in the NBA and that they might not have a ton of room for improvement?

If these guys had the potential to become much more than what they are now, they wouldn't have been available when the Celts were picking.
Bingo... and Ainge wouldn't have been willing to trade all three of them + an unprotected Brooklyn 1st rounder just to move up and select Justice Winslow.  Odds are, none of our rookies will ever amount to anything.

You're assuming that players values aren't fluid and don't fluctuate based on summer league, preseason, and later regular season performance.

If there was redraft today I think it's a safe bet that Hunter and Mickey, maybe even Rozier, get drafted higher. Just like Stanley Johnson would probably go #4 to the Knicks.

Speaking of Winslow, you probably haven't noticed, but there is some real concern about his lack of perimeter shooting. This coupled with his lack of ideal SF height (6-4 1/2 without shoes) means that it's a very possibility that Ainge wouldn't propose the same trade today.

Winslow
6 summer league games-
FG% 33.8
3PT% 31.2

2 preseason games-
FG% 33.3
3PT% 25.0

« Reply #191 on: October 08, 2015, 06:49:20 PM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133
Sorry if anyone's said this already, but when/where can I get the full replay?

« Reply #192 on: October 08, 2015, 07:28:02 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Winslow
6 summer league games-
FG% 33.8
3PT% 31.2

2 preseason games-
FG% 33.3
3PT% 25.0

Would have rather had Stanley Johnson.

IT , Smart and Sully looked to be off . 
  Sully's lack of lift got him swatted more than a few times this game.  He made the Euros look like Bill Russell out there on D.

For being off Smart had a +19 Eff. Rating.

Rozier looked good this game in what time he played.  I also though AB played really well.

« Reply #193 on: October 08, 2015, 08:05:45 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951

You're assuming that players values aren't fluid and don't fluctuate based on summer league, preseason, and later regular season performance.

If there was redraft today I think it's a safe bet that Hunter and Mickey, maybe even Rozier, get drafted higher. Just like Stanley Johnson would probably go #4 to the Knicks.

Speaking of Winslow, you probably haven't noticed, but there is some real concern about his lack of perimeter shooting. This coupled with his lack of ideal SF height (6-4 1/2 without shoes) means that it's a very possibility that Ainge wouldn't propose the same trade today.

Winslow
6 summer league games-
FG% 33.8
3PT% 31.2

2 preseason games-
FG% 33.3
3PT% 25.0

I ve watched Lakers preseason and I don't see anything super special about the Lakers number 2 draft pick .   Frankly he hasn't played as well as Smart as a first year rookie or Rozier for that matter.

I doubt I d trade our three picks Hunter , Mickey and Rozier for the Lakers number 2 pick . ..Russell......not to mention Randle looks iffy so far to me as well.......I ll keep our guys

« Reply #194 on: October 08, 2015, 08:17:32 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

News to me and others who follow the NBA.

Chad Ford: Having eight players in the first three tiers makes for a very strong draft, but not quite as strong as the 2014 draft, which had 12 players in the first three tiers.

Jonathan Givony: 2015 NBA Draft class has quietly emerged as a very strong group of prospects. Many starting to say its better than the overhyped 2014 Draft.