Author Topic: Celtics (1-0) at Real Madrid (0-0) Preseason Game #2 10/8/15  (Read 29612 times)

Celtics (1-0) at Real Madrid (0-0) Preseason Game #2 10/8/15
« on: October 07, 2015, 05:25:59 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (1-0) at Real Madrid (0-0)
Thursday, October 8, 2015
3:00 PM ET
NBA-TV, CSNNE, NBA-TV Canada
Barclaycard Center, Madrid Spain

Possible Starters
PG:  36  Marcus Smart G  6'4"
SG: 0  Avery Bradley  G  6'2"
SF:  99  Jae Crowder F  6'6"
PF  7  Jared Sullinger  F  6'9"
C:  41  Kelly Olynyk  C/F  7'0"

Starters Last Game

PG:  36  Marcus Smart G  6'4"
SG:  0  Avery Bradley  G  6'2"
SF:  99  Jae Crowder F  6'6"
PF:  42  David Lee  F/C  6'9"
C:   44 Tyler Zeller  C/F  7'0" 

Probable Reserves
63  Coty Clarke F  6'7"
28  RJ Hunter G  6'6"
8  Jonas Jerebko  F  6'10"
38  Perry Jones III  F  6'11"
42  David Lee  F/C  6'9"
55  Jordan Mickey  F  6'8"
48  Malcolm Miller  F  6'7"
60  Levi Randolph  SG  6'5"
12 Terry Rozier  G  6'1"
4  Isaiah Thomas  G  5'9"
11 Evan Turner  G/F  6'7"
46  Corey Watson  G  6'2"
13  James Young  G/F  6'6"
44 Tyler Zeller  C/F  7'0" 

Injuries
Perry Jones III  (death in family) out
Evan Turner (knee)  out
Amir Johnson (illness)  out
David Lee (illness) questionable

Head Coach
Brad Stevens

Players to Watch

Jared Sullinger/RJ Hunter/James Young
Jared Sullinger was the 5th big to enter the game on Tuesday but once he got into the game he made the most of his minutes with 14 points and 4 rebounds.  He doesn't look a whole lot thinner but he may be a bit quicker.   It will be interesting to see when he gets into the game in this one. 
RJ Hunter entered the game in the first quarter and played quite a bit.  He looked comfortable on the court and made the right choices while on the court.  It was interesting to see that he played sooner and more than James Young, who didn't get into the game until garbage time and was unimpressive in his minutes.   But then again, in this game it could be reversed and it will be very interesting to see how Young responds. 

Probable Starters
PG:  23  Sergio Llull 6'4"
SG:  20  Jaycee Carroll  6'2" 
SF:   5  Rudy Fernandez  6'6"
PF:   33 Trey Thompkins  6'10" 
C:   14  Gustavo Ayon  6'10"

Probable Reserves
13  Sergio Rodriguez PG  6'3"
7  Luca Doncic  G  6'6"
41  Guillermo Hernangomez C  6'11" 
8  Jonas Maciulis  SF  6'7"
6  Andres Nocioni  F  6'8"
9 Filipe Reys PF  6'9"
44 Jeffery Taylor  G/F  6'7"

Injuries
Unknown

Head Coach
Pablo Laso 

Game Notes
The Celtics move on from Olimpia Milano to Real Madrid for their second game in the NBA Global Games this preseason.  The Celtics last played Real Madrid way back in 1988 when Drazen Petrovic lead the Spanish team and Larry Bird led the Celtics.  The Celtics won that game 111-96. 

This game will be a challenge for the Celtics.  Real Madrid has won a record 32 Spanish League championships along with 9 Euroleague Championships.   Real Madrid features 6 former NBA players including Howard Thompkins, Sergio Rodriguez, Jeff Taylor, Gustavo Ayon, Andreas Nocioni and Rudy Fernandez.

The Spanish team is confident in their ability to beat the Celtics in spite of their lopsided win over Olimpia Milano on Tuesday.  Former Bulls forward Andres Nocioni had this to say: “I believe we can compete 100 percent against the Celtics. We are a strong and quality team, which is capable of competing against any NBA team.   We are an experienced team with players that could be playing in the NBA.”

There will be a lot of pride on the line on both sides in this game.  Brad Stevens will be once again experimenting with lineups and combinations and he has said that there might be a different starting lineup in each preseason game.  I've listed the starting lineup from the last game as well as a possible different line up for this game.  But then again, it could be 5 completely different players in the starting lineup.  Your guess is as good as mine. 

Keys to the Game

Building Chemistry
First and foremost in the preseason,  the Celtics need to develop into a closely knit team that plays well as a unit.  To that end, Brad Stevens will be experimenting with lineups to find the best combinations to put on the court together.   They showed great chemistry in their first game passing the ball so well that their opponents compared them to the Spurs. 

Defense
Whether preseason or regular season or playoffs, defense is the key to winning.  Danny has brought in a number of players who specialize in defense and who are capable of locking down their opponents.  Hopefully it becomes contagious and every player concentrates on defense and locks Real Madrid down.  It may be more difficult in this game than it was in their first game. 

Use Their Depth

One of the strengths of the Celtics is their depth.  They need to run, run and run some more and use their depth to keep fresh players on the court while tiring out their opponent.   No Celtic played more than 25 minutes in the first game and all of the players other than the injured Evan Turner saw time on the court.  We will probably see more of the same in this game. 

X-Factors
Jet Lag - The Celtics traveled from the US to Italy and then from Italy to Spain and have been caught up in a whirlwind of sightseeing and team building activities.  They may be a bit tired from all the activity and they face a team that is rested and anxious to show that they are as good as any NBA team. 

Experience - The Celtics are a young team and although the core were together at the end of last season, they are relatively new to each other unlike the Spanish team that has played together for years.  They are also facing a team with several players who have played in the NBA and will be a challenge. 

Over Confidence 
The Celtics beat Olimpia Milano fairly easily.  Hopefully they won't get over confident and take Real Madrid for granted.  They have to play hard from start to finish if they want to be undefeated after this game is finished. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 07:49:50 AM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Celtics (1-0) at Real Madrid (0-0) Preseason Game #2 10/8/15
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 06:10:09 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
TP for the good work, bud! Gettin it up a day early cause you need your celtic's fix. I see you...
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 06:19:49 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Disappointed there's no PJ3.  I'm sorry for the death in his family, but at the same time I really want him to get as much game action as possible, especially considering he already has missed practice time.

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 06:31:54 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Isn't this their starting lineup?

PG- Rodriguez
SG- Llull
SF- Fernandez
PF- Reyes
C- Ayon

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 06:53:49 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
More Celtics basketball!!!
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 07:31:21 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Woo Hoo .....

Let's GOooooo C's !

:)

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 09:40:02 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
looking forward to this.  should be a better team to measure ourselves against

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 07:50:45 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Celtics will be a bit shorthanded today with Turner, Jones, and Amir Johnson all out and Lee questionable.  Sully is also under the weather but unknown if he will play or not.  Brad Stevens said several are feeling under the weather and he's not sure who will be playing and who won't. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 10:14:32 AM by FLCeltsFan »

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 09:40:04 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Disappointed there's no PJ3.  I'm sorry for the death in his family, but at the same time I really want him to get as much game action as possible, especially considering he already has missed practice time.
No point to get worked up. He's not going to be around on opening day no matter how much playing time he gets.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 10:38:25 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Thanks for starting the thread, but it's not real until I see Bender.

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 10:38:39 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Will miss most of the game...hope to see the last quarter.   Sigh.  I know reading back through this thread will keep me in the flow.  Thanks in advance FL and everyone, 👍🏻
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 12:58:59 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Celtics will be a bit shorthanded today with Turner, Jones, and Amir Johnson all out and Lee questionable.  Sully is also under the weather but unknown if he will play or not.  Brad Stevens said several are feeling under the weather and he's not sure who will be playing and who won't.

The stage is set for. Mickey coming out party!

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 01:03:15 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
wow, with so many players "under the weather" i wonder whether this be a form of hellanic flu.  ;) maybe the time zone changes kept them up late at night....doing things.

thanks for the thread flc. a tp as ever for you fabulous work.

gooooo celtics!!
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 01:22:48 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
wow, with so many players "under the weather" i wonder whether this be a form of hellanic flu.  ;) maybe the time zone changes kept them up late at night....doing things.

thanks for the thread flc. a tp as ever for you fabulous work.

gooooo celtics!!

Said upper respiratory illness. At least they're bonding. :) :-[
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 01:23:03 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
If anyone has any good links please share on here or PM me please! Go C's!