Author Topic: Trade Idea [Bos-Phx]  (Read 1851 times)

Trade Idea [Bos-Phx]
« on: October 07, 2015, 11:56:51 AM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
I'm still interested in the Miami 2021 1st round pick that Phoenix owns. This pick is 6 years from now and could become valuable. Currently Bosh is 31, Wade is 33, and Dragic is 29 years old.

In 2021, Bosh will be 37, Wade-39, and Dragic-35. This pick has a good chance at becoming a lottery pick, unless the Heat re-tool their team and remain contenders in 2021. I think Ainge would be smart trading for a pick in 2021, because by then our team could a contender looking for another impact player. This 2021 pick would help us either draft an impact player, or make a trade for one. 

Here is my trade proposal:

TO PHX: Sully, Turner, 2016 second round pick (from MIA), future 2nd round pick (heavily protected)

TO BOS: Tucker, 2021 MIA 1st round pick

Why for PHX?

They get another stretch four in Sully. He can be used in addition to Morris or become the primary PF if Morris is traded. Turner can play minutes at PG/SG/SF off the bench (as a ball handler and playmaker for the 2nd unit). PHX also gets two 2nd round picks (one of which will be conveyed) to compensate them for giving up what could be a great pick. We have a plethora of 2016 second round picks, so giving up this one won't hurt us at all.

Why for BOS?

We clear our logjam at PF by trading Sully. This will make all of the Sully bashers on here very happy (not me). Trading Turner gives Smart more ball handling opportunities this year. With IT4, Smart, & Rozier, we don't have much of a need for Turner.

PJ Tucker would be a good 3 & D guy to come off the bench behind Crowder. He only has two years remaining on his contract, which still keeps the team flexible going forward.

THOUGHTS???

Re: Trade Idea [Bos-Phx]
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 11:58:54 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Reroute Tucker to a third team. I think he's due another $5.5 mil next season. Would prefer to keep the books clean.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 12:21:41 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
That's a really terrible trade for Phoenix. Tucker's easily their best wing defender and you replace him with... two guys who don't bring staunch perimeter defense to the table?

Turner's a throw-in here; he's not providing anything they really need. The centerpiece of the deal is essentially Sullinger, who is not a necessity right now with Morris on the team -- and the fact that Sully's up for restricted free agency in a little while doesn't help matters. Sullinger stands a fair chance of seeking a contract that pays him considerably more than what Morris is making right now while not being an immensely better player. Sullinger's a better rebounder, but Morris has a more reliable perimeter game (making him better suited to actually play the stretch 4 role). With the sort of guard-focused play Phoenix has been running under Hornacek, they need consistent spacing from their forwards more than they need a guy to draw defenders into the paint; Morris plays the former role better than Sullinger, who plays the latter role better than Morris.

Then, on top of that, they're trading away a super valuable unprotected first round draft pick for... a second rounder? I'm not even factoring in the second draft pick you included since you specified that it'd be "heavily protected," i.e. essentially useless. They're swapping an unprotected first for a second rounder -- something they could easily buy during the draft.

There's no reason this deal would be appealing to Phoenix at all.

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 12:32:42 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
Reroute Tucker to a third team. I think he's due another $5.5 mil next season. Would prefer to keep the books clean.

I'd probably keep Tucker for now and consider trading him later. Without Tucker, behind Crowder we'd have Jerebko, Jones, & Mickey.

With Tucker-- If coach BS is looking for offense, he can play Jerebko. If he's looking for more defense he could play Tucker (Mickey to the D-league to get consistent reps). We could always trade Tucker at the deadline or in the offseason by attaching one of our many 2nd round picks with him.

We could also choose between keeping Tucker or Jerebko, since Jerebko's $5M isn't guaranteed next season.

Depth Chart after the Tucker trade:

Starters: Smart, Bradley, Crowder, Lee, Zeller
Bench: IT4, Hunter, Jerebko or Tucker, Olynyk, Johnson

This would be Steven's 10 man rotation. We'd still have Rozier, Young, Tucker OR Jerebko, Mickey, and Jones available off the bench. I'm guessing Brad would switch up his rotation on some nights to give these guys minutes (here or there) over some of the other bench players.

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 01:19:47 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
That's a really terrible trade for Phoenix. Tucker's easily their best wing defender and you replace him with... two guys who don't bring staunch perimeter defense to the table?

Turner's a throw-in here; he's not providing anything they really need. The centerpiece of the deal is essentially Sullinger, who is not a necessity right now with Morris on the team -- and the fact that Sully's up for restricted free agency in a little while doesn't help matters. Sullinger stands a fair chance of seeking a contract that pays him considerably more than what Morris is making right now while not being an immensely better player. Sullinger's a better rebounder, but Morris has a more reliable perimeter game (making him better suited to actually play the stretch 4 role). With the sort of guard-focused play Phoenix has been running under Hornacek, they need consistent spacing from their forwards more than they need a guy to draw defenders into the paint; Morris plays the former role better than Sullinger, who plays the latter role better than Morris.

Then, on top of that, they're trading away a super valuable unprotected first round draft pick for... a second rounder? I'm not even factoring in the second draft pick you included since you specified that it'd be "heavily protected," i.e. essentially useless. They're swapping an unprotected first for a second rounder -- something they could easily buy during the draft.

There's no reason this deal would be appealing to Phoenix at all.

Here's how I view my proposal:

1) Turner for Tucker straight up. PHX looses a bit of perimeter defense in exchange for more playmaking off of the bench. Although he's no Tucker, Turner is capable of staying in front of his man on defense.

-PHX would replace Tucker with TJ Warren in the starting lineup. Off the bench at SF they'd have: Turner, Teletovic, and maybe Goodwin (if they go small)

2) Sully & two 2nd round picks (one heavily protected) for the Miami pick:

- We could take the protections off of the 2nd round pick if need be so that its two 2nd round picks being conveyed to PHX.

Let's not overvalue the Miami pick...As I stated before, Miami could re-tool its team to try and avoid becoming a lottery team. My guess is that Miami takes this route for the sake of not having to convey a lottery pick in 2021. The pick could end up between 14-30.

-PHX could add protection to the 2021 pick to be safe (something like--top 10 protected; if not conveyed, PHX will send BOS its 2021 1st round pick instead)

-PHX makes this trade: 1) if they're willing to consider giving Sully an extension & 2) to acquire more talent to make a stronger playoff push in the Western Conference.

-Comparing Sully to Morris isn't necessary since PHX already lacks PF's. Both guys could co-exist (one start at PF, one off the bench at PF), especially since Morris has the versatility to play minutes at SF. Sully provides rebounding, low post scoring and can shoot the 3 here and there.

-Morris stated that he wants to stay in PHX, but he could've been advised to do so-so that his trade value is not diminished in the event PHX does consider moving him at the deadline or in the future. Morris could be traded and Sully could start; or both players could remain in PHX.

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 03:16:59 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Rumor has it that DET wants the Morris guy could we get in on this action to help facilitate it?

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 03:21:29 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Rumor has it that DET wants the Morris guy could we get in on this action to help facilitate it?

That rumor comes from a one-liner by beat writer Vince Ellis during a recent chat.

http://live.freep.com/Event/Chat_with_Pistons_writer_Vince_Ellis_36

No telling whether there's anything behind it. If so, would it make Phoenix more open to acquiring Sully?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague