Author Topic: Jordan Mickey Impressed Me the Most Yesterday  (Read 3646 times)

Re: Jordan Mickey Impressed Me the Most Yesterday
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 07:43:25 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Is Mickey a poor man's Serge Ibaka (smaller, with less range and paint presence) or a rich man's Brandon Bass (with better hands and ball skills)?

I would say more of a poor man's Ibaka myself.

He has superior length and athleticism when compared to Brandon Bass (who himself is no slouch in those areas).

As a rookie he already has the ability to score inside and drive to the basket - two skills that Bass really didn't add to his game until his second or third year as a Celtic. 

Then throw in the shot-blocking ability and the improved ball handling.  These two really change everything because it gives Mickey so much more potential as a rim protector and a pick-and-roll scorer.

I think a Poor man's Ibaka is a good analysis.  Mickey doesn't have the three, but then Ibaka really didn't add that until later in his career either.  Also Ibaka (like Mickey) was taken quite late in the draft - 24th overall versus 33rd overall for Mickey.

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 07:44:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Is Mickey a poor man's Serge Ibaka (smaller, with less range and paint presence) or a rich man's Brandon Bass (with better hands and ball skills)?

So far from what I've seen of him I'd say he's more of an Ed Davis / Brandan Wright type myself, though it'd be a major accomplishment if he turns out to be as useful as either, given where he was drafted.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 08:28:34 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
He looked good again tonight as well as the other rookies. Not giving up on Young yet but he will be back in Maine again. I can see the rookies passing by him, they all have a better feel for the game than him.

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 08:47:47 PM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
I hope he turns out a Dennis Rodman-type rebounder/defender player with a good range.

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2015, 08:50:35 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

He has superior length and athleticism when compared to Brandon Bass (who himself is no slouch in those areas).

As a rookie he already has the ability to score inside and drive to the basket - two skills that Bass really didn't add to his game until his second or third year as a Celtic. 

Then throw in the shot-blocking ability and the improved ball handling.  These two really change everything because it gives Mickey so much more potential as a rim protector and a pick-and-roll scorer.

I think a Poor man's Ibaka is a good analysis.  Mickey doesn't have the three, but then Ibaka really didn't add that until later in his career either.  Also Ibaka (like Mickey) was taken quite late in the draft - 24th overall versus 33rd overall for Mickey.

I would agree with that too.

I feel the only issue is Ibaka can make the simple play.

Mickey? Cannot.

While Mickey is definitely intelligent enough, I don't think he has a natural knack or feel for the game in terms of court vision or telling when his teammates are open. He seems to struggle making the obvious pass for the open man. His ball handling to me is still kind of suspect to me. I mean, he can spin move, and make pretty plays occasionally, but he seems to also force his shots.

I would rather have Mickey try to become more like a Draymond Green than Serge Ibaka.

People would argue that Ibaka has been more valuable than Green, but I think a Draymond Green fits our system better.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2015, 09:17:48 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
A poor man's Ibaka is, I think, a terrific goal for Mickey. Like others have said, we're not going to see it from him this season but some time in the D-League and then working his way into a bigger role next season, and going forward, is more likely. But I like his potential and what he's shown so far, even though he wasn't as impressive today as he was on Tuesday.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2015, 09:46:42 PM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44

I would agree with that too.

I feel the only issue is Ibaka can make the simple play.

Mickey? Cannot.

While Mickey is definitely intelligent enough, I don't think he has a natural knack or feel for the game in terms of court vision or telling when his teammates are open. He seems to struggle making the obvious pass for the open man. His ball handling to me is still kind of suspect to me. I mean, he can spin move, and make pretty plays occasionally, but he seems to also force his shots.

I would rather have Mickey try to become more like a Draymond Green than Serge Ibaka.

People would argue that Ibaka has been more valuable than Green, but I think a Draymond Green fits our system better.

Ibaka is very low IQ offensively.  1 ast/g career high.

Green is great at making plays.   2nd assist fof the Warriors last year.   3.7ast/g

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2015, 10:23:04 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
What about this for a Mackey ;D comparison - Amir Johnson with a midrange jumper.