Author Topic: Juicy picks, can we target them?!  (Read 3656 times)

Re: Juicy picks, can we target them?!
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 03:51:23 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
If I'm Danny I'm looking for any way to get Charlotte's pick this year. They probably still (delusionally) believe that they have a shot at the playoffs this year, and IMO they weren't a playoff team before the monumental loss of MKG. The Hornets are going to be pretty bad, and I'd be willing to part with anyone/thing beside Smart and this year's Brooklyn pick to get their pick.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2015, 09:05:25 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
If I'm Danny I'm looking for any way to get Charlotte's pick this year. They probably still (delusionally) believe that they have a shot at the playoffs this year, and IMO they weren't a playoff team before the monumental loss of MKG. The Hornets are going to be pretty bad, and I'd be willing to part with anyone/thing beside Smart and this year's Brooklyn pick to get their pick.
why would you want to add yet another pick for this year's draft?  we have potentially 4 (probably at least 3 as it is) firsts and a bunch of second rounders.  Charlotte's will most likely be a lottery pick but when do we have enough?  I'd rather make a deal to bring in better players at this point than add more picks in the next 2-3 drafts (unless we're talking something like a sure-fire top 5 pick)

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2015, 09:21:45 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
why would you want to add yet another pick for this year's draft?  we have potentially 4 (probably at least 3 as it is) firsts and a bunch of second rounders.  Charlotte's will most likely be a lottery pick but when do we have enough?  I'd rather make a deal to bring in better players at this point than add more picks in the next 2-3 drafts (unless we're talking something like a sure-fire top 5 pick)
There's more too it than just that though. We currently sit at 16 guaranteed contracts. Most likely we will just cut someone (probably PJIII) but if you could trade a guy who won't be in the rotation for a pick instead why wouldn't you?

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2015, 09:40:53 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
There's more too it than just that though. We currently sit at 16 guaranteed contracts. Most likely we will just cut someone (probably PJIII) but if you could trade a guy who won't be in the rotation for a pick instead why wouldn't you?
no doubt you would but who'd give up a first round pick for a player we'd cut anyway -- no one.

Since the original proposal was for the Charlotte pick -- I can't imagine there's anyone on our roster that they'd trade that pick for.  not even 2 players for that pick.  To even get them thinking about it, we'd probably have to offer to move 3 of our top 4 players and take back their 2 worst (figure out the money matching aspects) and even then, they probably wouldn't do it even if that meant they had sufficient depth to challenge for the 8th playoff spot.

If it was as simple as trading our 16th player for a 1st, that'd be a no-brainer but I suspect the realistic options are to either waive that player and eat the contract OR make a lopsided deal to a team with cap room (like Philly) for that player and their salary for a moderately protected future second rounder.  I don't see the value in that so I think it'll just be #16 being waived.

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2015, 09:48:37 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
no doubt you would but who'd give up a first round pick for a player we'd cut anyway -- no one.

Since the original proposal was for the Charlotte pick -- I can't imagine there's anyone on our roster that they'd trade that pick for.  not even 2 players for that pick.  To even get them thinking about it, we'd probably have to offer to move 3 of our top 4 players and take back their 2 worst (figure out the money matching aspects) and even then, they probably wouldn't do it even if that meant they had sufficient depth to challenge for the 8th playoff spot.

If it was as simple as trading our 16th player for a 1st, that'd be a no-brainer but I suspect the realistic options are to either waive that player and eat the contract OR make a lopsided deal to a team with cap room (like Philly) for that player and their salary for a moderately protected future second rounder.  I don't see the value in that so I think it'll just be #16 being waived.
I agree that our 16th player wouldn't be worth a 1st, but as things stand I would say Sully is worth a 1st and possibly even ET, although his value would be a low 1st.
Would Charlotte think that Sully is worth their 1st lottery protected? Probably not but it's the kind of thing I hope Danny is looking at before we simply waive a player.

First priority is to trade multiple assets for one larger asset. If that doesn't pan out look to get a decent value pick for someone who isn't in our future plans. If not then waive a player.

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2015, 09:55:05 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I agree that our 16th player wouldn't be worth a 1st, but as things stand I would say Sully is worth a 1st and possibly even ET, although his value would be a low 1st.
Would Charlotte think that Sully is worth their 1st lottery protected? Probably not but it's the kind of thing I hope Danny is looking at before we simply waive a player.

First priority is to trade multiple assets for one larger asset. If that doesn't pan out look to get a decent value pick for someone who isn't in our future plans. If not then waive a player.
I think we're on the same page then.  I don't think Sully will get a lottery-protected first at this point.  He 'll probably have to show he's solid player this year before the trade deadline to get to that value but by then the C's will have already gotten down to 15 players. 

If Charlotte gets desperate this season and sees Sully and Turner as the best option to get to a playoff berth, then maybe Danny can pull something off but to be honest, I don't think they'd get that pick without lottery-protection on it for several years before it'd roll to 2 second rounders.  I'd prefer to get a player that could help the team now but I'm not really seeing anyone that I like on Charlotte for that purpose.

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2015, 12:51:44 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

The Hornets are 3-0 in preseason.  They added Batum and Kaminski as starters, and Jeremy Linn, Spencer Hawes, and Brian Roberts as notable bench players.  I agree MCW's loss hurts them defensively, but I still think they're a LOT better than they were last year.  Especially when you consider he's going to be replaced by some combination of Roberts/Hairston/Lynn/Batum who are all better scorers and all hit the three.

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2015, 11:14:13 PM »

Offline viulo

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
What about sending PJIII somewhere with a pick for this year (let's say Dallas's top12 or top14 protected - if not conveyed, then Minnesota's) in return for a pick in 2017 or 2018? At least, even if we can't consolidate our picks this year, we don't have to use them all, spreading them out seems a better option.