Author Topic: Juicy picks, can we target them?!  (Read 3665 times)

Juicy picks, can we target them?!
« on: October 07, 2015, 06:51:29 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
So the other day I got thinking about the roster issue we have, that we need to cut down from 16 to 15 before the season starts. Obviously there are several ways to do that, the easiest being either a 2 for 1 or a player for a pick.

Obviously we're already quite loaded with picks so I understand if people are leery of adding more, but I'm not sure there are any two for one deals out there at the moment that would be worthwhile. So here's a list of some interesting first round picks teams own over the next few years:

Chicago Bulls: 2016 1st Sac - protected for selections 1-10 in 2016 and 1-10 in 2017  protected 2017 2nd if unconveyed

Denver Nuggets: 2016 1st NY - Right to swap with New York
Toronto Raptors: 2016 1st NY/Den - Gets the less favourable of above swap

Orlando Magic: 2018 1st LAL - 1-5 in 2018 and unprotected in 2019 (but must have conyeved 1st to 76ers by 2017)

Phoenix: 2021 1st Miami

Utah Jazz: 2018 1st OKC - 1-14 in 2018 (conveyable if OKC conveys a 1st round pick to 76ers in 2016), 1-14 in 2019 and 1-14 in 2020

There are a few others but they are low end picks. There are too many 2nd picks to go through for me to bother :P
The really interesting ones for me are the Lakers pick and the Sac pick. I think in reality you'd need to give up a lot for that Lakers pick, however Orlando may feel that the risk of them retooling is worth getting value now. Sacramento could be another lottery pick.

Is there a guy on the bubble for us that could net a pick like that? Or perhaps (and I hate suggesting this) a package of Turner + Sully for a throwaway player + pick?

Throw some suggestions out there for one of the picks... or just call me crazy  :o

I'll start it off:

Young to Denver for the rights to swap pick with New York. This is based of off the assumption that Denver feels they will finish with a worse record than New York and want to get some value from the deal. In my opinion they will and New York will fall at around 10.

Re: Juicy picks, can we target them?!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 08:01:31 AM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
I'd start sniffing around Charlotte to see if they might want to make some sort of panicked win now trade. Maybe ET and Sully for Hawes and a protected 1st (something like lottery protected in '16, top 8 in '17, top 3 in '18, unprotected in '19). I wouldn't do it if I'm Charlotte, but who knows how bad Jordan wants back in the playoffs. I never underestimate the stupidity of CHA or SAC.

Alternatively, we could trade PJIII to Charlotte for virtually anything to clear a roster spot.

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 08:27:53 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
I'd start sniffing around Charlotte to see if they might want to make some sort of panicked win now trade. Maybe ET and Sully for Hawes and a protected 1st (something like lottery protected in '16, top 8 in '17, top 3 in '18, unprotected in '19). I wouldn't do it if I'm Charlotte, but who knows how bad Jordan wants back in the playoffs. I never underestimate the stupidity of CHA or SAC.

Alternatively, we could trade PJIII to Charlotte for virtually anything to clear a roster spot.

Hmm, problem is what if they make the playoffs? Then we gave up Sully and Turner for a mid round pick. I guess thats always the risk though.

Yeah I didn't mention about PJIII, the default is cut him. I don't think anyone gives us something for him when they know he's bottom of our list. I'm just wondering if we can get more value from a differnet avenue.

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 09:08:50 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
So the other day I got thinking about the roster issue we have, that we need to cut down from 16 to 15 before the season starts. Obviously there are several ways to do that, the easiest being either a 2 for 1 or a player for a pick.

Obviously we're already quite loaded with picks so I understand if people are leery of adding more, but I'm not sure there are any two for one deals out there at the moment that would be worthwhile. So here's a list of some interesting first round picks teams own over the next few years:

Chicago Bulls: 2016 1st Sac - protected for selections 1-10 in 2016 and 1-10 in 2017  protected 2017 2nd if unconveyed

Orlando Magic: 2018 1st LAL - 1-5 in 2018 and unprotected in 2019 (but must have conyeved 1st to 76ers by 2017)

Utah Jazz: 2018 1st OKC - 1-14 in 2018 (conveyable if OKC conveys a 1st round pick to 76ers in 2016), 1-14 in 2019 and 1-14 in 2020

There are a few others but they are low end picks. There are too many 2nd picks to go through for me to bother :P
The really interesting ones for me are the Lakers pick and the Sac pick. I think in reality you'd need to give up a lot for that Lakers pick, however Orlando may feel that the risk of them retooling is worth getting value now. Sacramento could be another lottery pick.

Is there a guy on the bubble for us that could net a pick like that? Or perhaps (and I hate suggesting this) a package of Turner + Sully for a throwaway player + pick?

Throw some suggestions out there for one of the picks... or just call me crazy  :o

I'll start it off:

Young to Denver for the rights to swap pick with New York. This is based of off the assumption that Denver feels they will finish with a worse record than New York and want to get some value from the deal. In my opinion they will and New York will fall at around 10.

The right to swap is wrapped up in the pick itself,  the Nuggets would have to give us their pick with the right to swap, which is unlikely given the way their team looks (if the right to swap weren't combined with the pick, you could trade that right to someone with a late pick and screw over the original team)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 09:29:55 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
ah! Well that kills that idea then...

So to get the New York pick we would need a trade with Toronto, which seems far less likely.

Darn...

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 11:13:58 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

So to get the New York pick we would need a trade with Toronto, which seems far less likely.

Darn...
New York is far more likely to trade us Melo for our picks than to take on mid level talent to give up their first rounder any time soon. Sorry but Isiah Thomas is no longer running the Knicks. I actually think at this point the need Celtics to start sending picks out(especially 2nd rounders) with player packages for a consolidation that would yield high talent players. There just not enough spots on the roster for all the picks we have over the next 3 years

Edit: didn't see that Toronto had the Knick pick. That isn't coming our way anytime soon.?still stand by everything else I said though
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 11:20:53 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 11:18:40 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

kinda hope Kaminsky is a failed pick for them...mainly because he rejected our offer where we could've picked Winslow...

I hope Terry Rozier pans out though

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 11:40:02 AM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
I'm still interested in the Miami 2021 1st round pick that Phoenix owns. This pick is 6 years from now and could become valuable. Currently Bosh is 31, Wade is 33, and Dragic is 29 years old.

In 2021, Bosh will be 37, Wade-39, and Dragic-35. This pick has a good chance at becoming a lottery pick, unless the Heat re-tool their team and remain contenders in 2021.

Here is my trade proposal:

TO PHX: Sully, Turner, 2016 second round pick (from MIA), future 2nd round pick (heavily protected)

TO BOS: Tucker, 2021 MIA 1st round pick

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 11:58:02 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
PJ3 to Brooklyn for the Celtics' 2017 2nd round pick back.

Yes, I know the pick is already protected in such a way (top-45) that it might stay with Boston anyways. It's more about getting something (a trade exception of $2 mil) for a guy who will likely be cut anyways.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 12:24:04 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell

Darn...
New York is far more likely to trade us Melo for our picks than to take on mid level talent to give up their first rounder any time soon. Sorry but Isiah Thomas is no longer running the Knicks. I actually think at this point the need Celtics to start sending picks out(especially 2nd rounders) with player packages for a consolidation that would yield high talent players. There just not enough spots on the roster for all the picks we have over the next 3 years

Edit: didn't see that Toronto had the Knick pick. That isn't coming our way anytime soon.?still stand by everything else I said though
I would love to do that! But I think at this moment in time, i.e. before December when the trade season properly starts, that isn't happening. And given we have 16 players we might as well try to get some value out of it. Or maybe not, depending on how you value the peices being sent out...

I'm still interested in the Miami 2021 1st round pick that Phoenix owns. This pick is 6 years from now and could become valuable. Currently Bosh is 31, Wade is 33, and Dragic is 29 years old.

In 2021, Bosh will be 37, Wade-39, and Dragic-35. This pick has a good chance at becoming a lottery pick, unless the Heat re-tool their team and remain contenders in 2021.

Here is my trade proposal:

TO PHX: Sully, Turner, 2016 second round pick (from MIA), future 2nd round pick (heavily protected)

TO BOS: Tucker, 2021 MIA 1st round pick
Yeah it does look good! Hopefully Pat Riley should have moved on by then as well... I should look up Tucker as a few people have mentioned him. Despite mentioning Sully in my OP I'm actually a big fan of him so I'm reluctant to trade him. Although I made my peace with the Rondo trade so I guess anything is possible..  :(

Yes, I know the pick is already protected in such a way (top-45) that it might stay with Boston anyways. It's more about getting something (a trade exception of $2 mil) for a guy who will likely be cut anyways.
Only reason I don't do that is I don't want to accidentally give the Nets anything this year. Whilst I agree (and I haven't always I'll be honest) that PJIII is the prime cut candidate it's preferable to see him go for nothing than to watch him help the Nets win even one game.

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 12:27:54 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
One has to imagine that at some point, you start to reach a point of diminishing returns as far as hoarding draft picks. There's a finite number of roster spots; teams will catch on to the fact that the Celtics literally can't use all of them in these next few years.

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 12:28:26 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Only reason I don't do that is I don't want to accidentally give the Nets anything this year. Whilst I agree (and I haven't always I'll be honest) that PJIII is the prime cut candidate it's preferable to see him go for nothing than to watch him help the Nets win even one game.

PJ3 = Celtic Trojan Horse in Brooklyn.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 12:33:30 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Oh how this thread reminds me of the juicy very likely lottery pick C's received in the Perk for Green trade....

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 12:43:28 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
One has to imagine that at some point, you start to reach a point of diminishing returns as far as hoarding draft picks. There's a finite number of roster spots; teams will catch on to the fact that the Celtics literally can't use all of them in these next few years.

Indeed.  I think this was probably part of Ainge's thinking in acquiring Isaiah Thomas.  It's definitely why he was willing to offer so many picks to move up in the draft his year.

You have to turn some of those picks into players at some point.  Ainge is going to have to consolidate all these picks relatively soon, unless the team strikes out on big trades and signings over the next year or so and just goes super super young next season with a roster of guys in their first few years in the league.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 03:25:16 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I'll start it off:

the only 2 that seem remotely feasible are the Miami and OKC picks several years out.  the others are not likely to be traded and if we could get those teams to part with them, the price would be higher than it's worth.  Not a fan of sending out 2 rotation guys to acquire another pick or an end-of-rotation guy and a pick.

I think in the end the C's may end up shipping out PJIII and cash to a bottom-feeder team like Philly that can absorb his salary this year in exchange for a moderately-protected second rounder.