Author Topic: Imagine this...  (Read 8200 times)

Re: Imagine this...
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2015, 01:42:15 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
San Fran has the best weather in the world I hear. 70s everyday.

« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2015, 01:44:59 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If I didn't live in Seattle, I'd probably live in LA, but only if I afford living in the good part of LA.  I have family in Brentwood (near Beverly Hills)... I'd dig living there.   

Living in the heart of Manhattan always seemed appealing to me, but I have a feeling I'd get sick of it.   Again one of those things where being rich in Manhattan would be very different than being poor in Manhattan. 

I've visited Hawaii many times.  Kauai is my favorite of the islands.   I've thought about what it might be like to move there or retire there.  I met a couple who were from the mainland who had recently quit their jobs and moved there to open an Ice Cream shop.  They seemed really happy, but I think there's certain aspects of Island life I'd end up hating.  No sports teams, concerts, etc.  My GF's family lives in Honolulu.  I like visiting there, but I don't think I'd want to live there.  Lots of poor areas, limited entertainment options and a large percentage of the population there has an underlying dislike of outsiders.

Seattle is pretty wonderful.  Our winters can be wet (not downpours, just consistent sprinkling), but our summers are fantastic.  Pretty much everything you'd want to do is available here.  Not a bad option.

« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2015, 01:45:52 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

No, it's colder than that.  Average high temperature is 64 degrees, but you're right that it doesn't usually get much warmer or much colder than that.  http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/California/Places/san-francisco-temperatures-by-month-average.php

Drive a few miles inland though and it warms up fast.

« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2015, 02:19:17 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

No, it's colder than that.  Average high temperature is 64 degrees, but you're right that it doesn't usually get much warmer or much colder than that.  http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/California/Places/san-francisco-temperatures-by-month-average.php

I live in L.A. County, never been to San Diego, but I have co-workers who've been there and they say it's the best place in the country weather-wise—hardly ever hot, almost always perfect. I live about 25 miles east of L.A., and it's too dang hot here in August and September, but the winters are great.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2015, 02:21:29 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'm sorry, the climate in San Fran is horrible. I don't know what's perfect about never getting any summer to speak of.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2015, 03:27:52 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm sorry, the climate in San Fran is horrible. I don't know what's perfect about never getting any summer to speak of.

Never getting any winter, either?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2015, 03:43:29 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
You are 29 years old. You are single. You have a career that will pay you more than 100k wherever you go. You have family here, but not many close friends or other ties, so that's not a big deal. Family can visit and you can visit them.

So the question is, where would you go? You have your youth and you'll have some nice money. You'll have to wave bye bye to the Celtics and Patriots but that's why there's Gamepass and Leaguepass.

Hawaii? Vegas? San Diego? NYC? Miami?

Alaska if you're the crazy type....

So where would you go and why. You are living here for at least two or three years. And you are working full time. It's not a vacation. But you'd like to make it as much of a vacation as possible.
if I'm limited to living in the US, I still love living in New England.  If I had to move, I'd look into coastal NC.  vacationed there several years ago and loved the area and the people.

« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2015, 04:00:51 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Never getting any winter, either?
Not sure that compensates. Everyone I know who has lived or lives in SF has complained about not getting any real seasons.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2015, 10:51:53 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
You are 29 years old. You are single. You have a career that will pay you more than 100k wherever you go. You have family here, but not many close friends or other ties, so that's not a big deal. Family can visit and you can visit them.

So the question is, where would you go? You have your youth and you'll have some nice money. You'll have to wave bye bye to the Celtics and Patriots but that's why there's Gamepass and Leaguepass.

So where would you go and why. You are living here for at least two or three years. And you are working full time. It's not a vacation. But you'd like to make it as much of a vacation as possible.
ireland.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2015, 11:00:32 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I would like to have multiple residences, Move between Winter Park Orlando, Manhattan, and Boston.

« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2015, 12:50:47 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

I live in L.A. County, never been to San Diego, but I have co-workers who've been there and they say it's the best place in the country weather-wise—hardly ever hot, almost always perfect. I live about 25 miles east of L.A., and it's too dang hot here in August and September, but the winters are great.

You should definitely go. I live there and I agree with your co-workers: it's great year-round! The people are great too, but the weather is just amazing.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2015, 01:04:01 AM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62

Tasmania, Australia

Beautiful nature, limited population, smaller in size to travel around.

« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2015, 02:03:28 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82

Lived there for 14 years, and the weather is wonderful, as far as I am concerned.  This may shock you, but there are actually people on this planet who enjoy cooler weather. 

Out of curiosity, how long did you reside in SF, or if you haven't, how much time have you spent there?  Thanks in advance for your response.

« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2015, 02:09:09 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82

Tasmania, Australia

Beautiful nature, limited population, smaller in size to travel around.

Tasmania?  If I lived there, I would shuck everything in my life and spend all my waking hours searching the uninhabited half of the island for the legendary thylacine...

« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2015, 02:33:51 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

You can meet women anywhere and you'll be a catch for some girl looking to start a family assuming you swing that way. I've worked though most of the Eastern seaboard and Midwest states, Canada, and Mexico and traveled through most of the rest of the lower 48. The last place I'd go to is Vegas. My top city is Chicago.

Outside of New England, the west has the best recreational activities and Oregon is a gem in that regard and it's pretty moderate in more ways than one.  Otherwise, you'll find family's pretty important when you do settle down and that New England is a pretty good place to live for a lot of reasons including economic opportunities if you've got a business, finance, or science background. It's also pretty parochial like the South and unlike the Midwest. IOW, you'll get up the ladder easier if you're from here.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 02:43:35 AM by colincb »