Author Topic: Imagine this...  (Read 8179 times)

Imagine this...
« on: October 07, 2015, 06:45:17 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
You are 29 years old. You are single. You have a career that will pay you more than 100k wherever you go. You have family here, but not many close friends or other ties, so that's not a big deal. Family can visit and you can visit them.

So the question is, where would you go? You have your youth and you'll have some nice money. You'll have to wave bye bye to the Celtics and Patriots but that's why there's Gamepass and Leaguepass.

Hawaii? Vegas? San Diego? NYC? Miami?

Alaska if you're the crazy type....

So where would you go and why. You are living here for at least two or three years. And you are working full time. It's not a vacation. But you'd like to make it as much of a vacation as possible.

Re: Imagine this...
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 08:29:57 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Seville?

I've always been intrigued by the Pacific northwest.  But I love where I live - Cape Cod.

Wherever you go, the trick is to actually make the time to do the things you appreciate about it.
Yup

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 09:18:22 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Probably the Czech Republic or somewhere with beautiful people and a low cost of living.

Maybe Whistler.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 09:23:05 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Well if I'm single, I probably go to the place that I think has the most women that fit into my type.  It would definitely be fun for a few years, but I probably wouldn't have much to show for it when it's all said and done, because those places ain't cheap, and I'm sure I'd be spending a lot on entertainment too in addition to the cost of living price tag.

But if I'm smart, I forget about any kind of enjoyment now, and focus on my retirement plan.  Go to the place with the cheapest cost of living.  Maybe move in with my folks.  You can retire before 40, then it's all vacation after that.  Financial Independence is definitely an achievable dream, read up on it, a lot of stories out there of people who successfully achieved it.

If you'll be making the same $100k+ salary wherever you go, assuming you live in a place l like Boston now, you'd be taking a pay cut to move to NYC or San Francisco or Hawaii, probably a lateral move to LA or San Diego or Alaska, but you'd be getting a nice lift in Miami and Vegas(at least according to the Cost of Living calculator I'm playing with online right now), but I'd imagine entertainment eating up all my savings in those places.  Places like Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, Charlotte, Charleston, Denver, Atlanta, Nashville, etc. would probably be nice places to live with a lot of things to do, good size singles crowd, and cheap cost of living.  Stack as much of that paper while you can, don't spend it all.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 09:23:27 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Luxembourg. Because Luxembourg.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 09:24:40 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
Wellington, NZ

Favorite place I've ever been
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 09:27:01 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Spain, Colorado, San Diego, Northern California/Southern Oregon, Columbia, Central America . ..

Then 6 months back in N.E. (VT or RI) over the summer.

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 09:49:13 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Congratulations!

Depends whether you're gay, straight, black, white, male, female, outdoorsy, indoorsy, etc

I'm a cheap-o. I would go some place beautiful with lots of single women and a low cost of living so I can have a sexy condo and still build up good savings.

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 09:57:18 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
I did that very thing at 29 (minus having the job at the time)  Moved to Chicago.  Been here for 6+ years now. 

League Pass is my friend.  There's Patriot/Red Sox bars here. Nightlife is solid.  There's the neighborhood vibe.  Midwestern people are friendlier. The dating scene is pretty solid.  Rents beat Boston and the summers here are pretty awesome right on Lake Michigan. You just need to put up with the winters from hell (but not that much different than Boston.  Colder but less snow)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 10:10:16 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
Seville?

I've always been intrigued by the Pacific northwest.  But I love where I live - Cape Cod.

Wherever you go, the trick is to actually make the time to do the things you appreciate about it.

This is a good point Redz! I've been working so hard the past couple years to get the career I want. And one year from now I will be in hypothetical I described in the original post. But it's always easy to assume the grass will be greener on the other side of the fence. My career, specifically, will probably be something like seven days on and seven days off.

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 10:11:36 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
Congratulations!

Depends whether you're gay, straight, black, white, male, female, outdoorsy, indoorsy, etc

I'm a cheap-o. I would go some place beautiful with lots of single women and a low cost of living so I can have a sexy condo and still build up good savings.

Well I'm straight and have always been partial to Hispanics and Middle Eastern women.

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 10:12:44 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
I'm not sure I can tolerate any more winters, however. Even if they aren't as brutal as New England, a sweater is about as much as I'd like to pack, ideally.

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 10:16:06 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'm not sure I can tolerate any more winters, however. Even if they aren't as brutal as New England, a sweater is about as much as I'd like to pack, ideally.
Barcelona and the south of Spain? :P Still some winter there, though.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 10:17:54 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
Probably the Czech Republic or somewhere with beautiful people and a low cost of living.

Maybe Whistler.

Czech sounds like a great idea! However, I will admit I went on a date with a Czech girl and she refused to hold my hand. But I guess you can't let one bad apple spoil the bushel! (My career would be an issue there as I don't speak Czech).

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 10:27:02 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
Luxembourg. Because Luxembourg.

All I know about  Luxembourg is that they are one of the wealthiest countries, right? Is there something more I should know...