Author Topic: Imagine this...  (Read 8255 times)

Re: Imagine this...
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2015, 11:20:57 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Are you an online poker player?
I'd go somewhere with better weather all year round.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2015, 11:25:21 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
To be honest, one of the destinations I had in mind was Vegas. I like the idea of the weather and nightlife. But I've never been there before in my life, so this is all based on conjecture. I wouldn't want to live there permanently but it sure seems like fun for two or three years.

Living in Las Vegas sounds depressing as *#&$ to me, but to each his own.

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2015, 11:25:53 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
To be honest, one of the destinations I had in mind was Vegas. I like the idea of the weather and nightlife. But I've never been there before in my life, so this is all based on conjecture. I wouldn't want to live there permanently but it sure seems like fun for two or three years.
It's a dump.
I go there for 6 weeks during the world series of poker every year and even staying in nice hotels it gets old really quickly. A lot of degenerates and crime. If you move there you'll need to love golf or outdoor activities of some kind. Go somewhere English speaking with good weather.
I'd probably pick Australia or Spain.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2015, 11:26:00 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228

29, just finished school, $100k + geographically flexible career with 2-3 initial horizon... computing... dossier complete.

You just finished your doctorate at MIT, pulled out of research, and are going to work for McKinsey.

I'm a mid level provider, right below an MD. Not sure how this would translate outside the states. However, in most parts of Western Europe there's probably a lot of crossover.

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2015, 11:50:23 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Yeah Las Vegas isn't kind to most people that live there.  Very easy to develop nasty habits and/or a mood disorder there.  At a minimum you'll be surrounded by people with those problems.  Vegas trips should max out at like 1 week.

I'm an outdoorsy kind of guy so within the US I'd probably pick somewhere in the Rocky Mountain vicinity like Colorado.  Utah is gorgeous too but a lot of people don't care for the culture there.  Can't speak much for Europe, but it's worth looking into while you still can.

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2015, 11:51:00 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
Midwestern people are friendlier.

This is actually one of the worst things about the Midwest, IMO. Not friendliness in a vacuum but in the 'my god I'm just trying to buy gas/groceries/whatever I don't want to be chatted up for 20 minutes' sort of way

I remember when I first moved out here and was on the elevator in my building & people were getting on and keep saying "Good morning" and thinking what the heck is wrong with these people?  Used to total silence & not talking to each other.

Also made me realize that I was (and prob still am) one of those walking northeast scumbag stereotypes that people have of us.  Oh well...

Yeah, I'm kind of the opposite right now - Midwestern born and raised and now living (sort of - Pittsburgh) in the Northeast. Most Northeasterners that I meet are... not very friendly.

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2015, 11:58:16 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Yeah, I'm kind of the opposite right now - Midwestern born and raised and now living (sort of - Pittsburgh) in the Northeast. Most Northeasterners that I meet are... not very friendly.
And you ended up a Celtics fan... wait, what?!  ;D
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2015, 11:58:23 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
I was just in a sort-of similar situation a couple of years ago - 23, just finished my Master's, starting my Ph.D., just married, and moved across the country to Pittsburgh.

It was actually a lot of fun, until my wife got pregnant and we had our son. Now virtually every post-doc fellowship I'm currently applying to is closer to home. For the sake of my kids, I really don't like having them this far away from their grandparents and other family. Thus, don't have kids until you're ready to head back home! lol

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2015, 11:59:32 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
And you ended up a Celtics fan... wait, what?!  ;D

Dad was a huge Larry Bird fan. One thing led to another, and here I am today!  :P

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2015, 12:41:34 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

This is actually one of the worst things about the Midwest, IMO. Not friendliness in a vacuum but in the 'my god I'm just trying to buy gas/groceries/whatever I don't want to be chatted up for 20 minutes' sort of way

I remember when I first moved out here and was on the elevator in my building & people were getting on and keep saying "Good morning" and thinking what the heck is wrong with these people?  Used to total silence & not talking to each other.

Also made me realize that I was (and prob still am) one of those walking northeast scumbag stereotypes that people have of us.  Oh well...

See, I find the lack of gladhanding refreshing, especially after I've been away and come back to New England.

Not that niceness isn't, well, nice, but it feels weird, particularly when you exist outside of those environs most of the time. Plus I just assume that everyone out there is waiting for an excuse to shoot everyone else so my paranoia is on edge anyway.  :laugh:
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2015, 12:44:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Come live in California, it's great.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2015, 01:00:33 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Too many Lakers fans?

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2015, 01:10:14 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

See, I find the lack of gladhanding refreshing, especially after I've been away and come back to New England.

Not that niceness isn't, well, nice, but it feels weird, particularly when you exist outside of those environs most of the time. Plus I just assume that everyone out there is waiting for an excuse to shoot everyone else so my paranoia is on edge anyway.  :laugh:

Yeah, I'm sure it's annoying if you're not used to it. There are times that it can get a little overbearing for me, especially at restaurants with waiters and waitresses. You just want to scream, "Will you leave me alone so I can eat my food?!" There's only so many times one can ask if everything is tasting alright.  :-\

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2015, 01:19:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Too many Lakers fans?

Come and live near the Warriors fans.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2015, 01:32:21 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Too many Lakers fans?

Come and live near the Warriors fans.

Pretty sure you can't do that on $100k a year anymore.  :P
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.