Author Topic: Imagine this...  (Read 8248 times)

Re: Imagine this...
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 10:33:11 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
I will say, taking the leap and moving away and leaving your comfort zone teaches you a TON. 

You learn so much about yourself as a person when you're far away from home & family and if you're doing it solo. 

It's scary but exciting at the same time.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 10:38:04 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
I will say, taking the leap and moving away and leaving your comfort zone teaches you a TON. 

You learn so much about yourself as a person when you're far away from home & family and if you're doing it solo. 

It's scary but exciting at the same time.

Thanks for the encouragement! I've honestly never been anywhere before. I've Been permanently New England bound. But I feel soon that I will have the means and career to finally explore, meet new people, and hopefully meet new types of people. I'm definitely yearning to get out...a little Jack Kerouac fever!

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2015, 10:39:12 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Luxembourg. Because Luxembourg.

All I know about  Luxembourg is that they are one of the wealthiest countries, right? Is there something more I should know...
It's small, it's cute, it speaks 4 languages, offers easy access into the 3 to 5 surrounding European countries. It's young, and a relatively vibrant place for its size (lots of people in their mid-20s coming in to work at the EU institutions). And it has a ton of medieval castles. :P

In truth, you will get a million different responses, because you specify very little about what you're looking for. I spent a year in Luxembourg and felt very comfortable. Visited Paris (multiple times), Bruxelles, Germany, could have gone to the Netherlands and Switzerland if I weren't too lazy.

The center of Europe is not a bad place to be if you dig the urban lifestyle and like to travel. But if you want sun, and palms and giant waves, perhaps not so much :)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2015, 10:43:30 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
Luxembourg. Because Luxembourg.

All I know about  Luxembourg is that they are one of the wealthiest countries, right? Is there something more I should know...
It's small, it's cute, it speaks 4 languages, offers easy access into the 3 to 5 surrounding European countries. It's young, and a relatively vibrant place for its size (lots of people in their mid-20s coming in to work at the EU institutions). And it has a ton of medieval castles. :P

In truth, you will get a million different responses, because you specify very little about what you're looking for. I spent a year in Luxembourg and felt very comfortable. Visited Paris (multiple times), Bruxelles, Germany, could have gone to the Netherlands and Switzerland if I weren't too lazy.

The center of Europe is not a bad place to be if you dig the urban lifestyle and like to travel. But if you want sun, and palms and giant waves, perhaps not so much :)

Thanks! I was a little vague because I want to see what other people like because at this point I'm very open to ideas and other reflections. What you describe sounds great. Very appealing, especially since I've never been to Europe.

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2015, 10:45:37 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Midwestern people are friendlier.

This is actually one of the worst things about the Midwest, IMO. Not friendliness in a vacuum but in the 'my god I'm just trying to buy gas/groceries/whatever I don't want to be chatted up for 20 minutes' sort of way
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2015, 10:49:36 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be

This is actually one of the worst things about the Midwest, IMO. Not friendliness in a vacuum but in the 'my god I'm just trying to buy gas/groceries/whatever I don't want to be chatted up for 20 minutes' sort of way

I remember when I first moved out here and was on the elevator in my building & people were getting on and keep saying "Good morning" and thinking what the heck is wrong with these people?  Used to total silence & not talking to each other.

Also made me realize that I was (and prob still am) one of those walking northeast scumbag stereotypes that people have of us.  Oh well...

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2015, 10:49:59 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell

Interesting. I have an on and off switch. The switch is off for gas, groceries, mail, etc. it only comes on for work and nightlife....and the Celtics of course.

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2015, 10:51:25 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
I'm not sure I can tolerate any more winters, however. Even if they aren't as brutal as New England, a sweater is about as much as I'd like to pack, ideally.
Barcelona and the south of Spain? :P Still some winter there, though.

Barcelona gets my vote. Great weather, beautiful women, fun night life.
A truly beautiful city. 

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2015, 10:52:40 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
Actually funny story about this: I said hi to someone walking by at school the other day. She kept walking and didn't acknowledge me. Then she turned around, walked back up to me and apologized and said "are you from around here because people don't normally say hi." She was from Mississippi.

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2015, 10:54:02 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
I'm not sure I can tolerate any more winters, however. Even if they aren't as brutal as New England, a sweater is about as much as I'd like to pack, ideally.

A truly beautiful city.

Barcelona is gaining momentum. The language barrier could be an issue, though, in terms of work.

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2015, 10:56:21 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Ireland, followed by Belize.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2015, 10:58:33 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574

an added beauty is that there is a large portion of the city that speak English, and you'll pick up Spanish fairly quickly I'm sure.

A truly beautiful city.

Barcelona is gaining momentum. The language barrier could be an issue, though, in terms of work.

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2015, 10:59:38 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
Ireland, followed by Belize.

Cool! Belize is definitely an unexpected suggestion. Have you been there yourself by any chance?

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2015, 11:02:50 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

29, just finished school, $100k + geographically flexible career with 2-3 initial horizon... computing... dossier complete.

You just finished your doctorate at MIT, pulled out of research, and are going to work for McKinsey.

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2015, 11:10:38 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
To be honest, one of the destinations I had in mind was Vegas. I like the idea of the weather and nightlife. But I've never been there before in my life, so this is all based on conjecture. I wouldn't want to live there permanently but it sure seems like fun for two or three years.