Author Topic: young gets snow shovel award for his trip to maine  (Read 1799 times)

young gets snow shovel award for his trip to maine
« on: October 07, 2015, 03:59:20 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
rj didn't embarrass himself ,young did-+
rj hit a corner three first thing on entering game,was active on d  including two steals and a block
but his defence confused me with those long arms waving and harrassing oposition,he seemed often a step behind or was that me being distracted by his flailing catchups,
very comfortable with ball and although he dumped a pass to sully for score , i felt he should have taken the runner-
young gets snow shovel award
he will need it up in maine
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 05:54:54 AM by rollie mass »

Re: young gets snow shovel award for his trip to maine
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 04:05:48 AM »

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
do you ever think before u post a thread?

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 05:39:07 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
do you paint by numbers-what do you object to here
not only is young playing his way to maine, he is going to have to dig his way back
do you ever think at all 
lying flat out in bed due to dvt,bi lateral thrombosis and mini stroke with all sorts of meds and trying to puncuate and have proper sentence structure ,just not possible at moment

so lets here you breakdown rj's d in terms of fighting over top,footwork,positioning -
i have no instant replay but i am a big rj fan and was distracted by his waving and his length that allowed him to recover-
maybe that is his style-too harrass and funnel his man into bigs--
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 06:48:28 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 08:45:54 AM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel

Hey man, that's just rollie. Learn to love it. It's like a kind of basketball free verse.

Don't pay the haters any attention RM. You do you. TP!

My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 08:48:56 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 290
I agree Young continues to look terrible in every setting he's in (I have not watched him with the Red Claws). I'm trying to be patient.

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 09:40:14 AM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
I agree Young continues to look terrible in every setting he's in (I have not watched him with the Red Claws). I'm trying to be patient.

If you haven't seen him with the Red Claws then don't start lol. He looks like Jordan out there and it will frustrate you how it doesn't translate over (sarcasm ofcourse)

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 09:55:18 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

He shot the lights out in Maine-- 44% from three with something like 9 attempts per game. He'll show us something one of these days.

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 10:10:24 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
IMO RJ is gonna be the rookie that see's the most regular season action. He has a good basketball head on his shoulders. In a few years he'll be a nice player...or more.

Young on the other hand, just always looks uncomfortable on the floor. He needs a solid year in Maine, and then a final good look on the Celtic roster.

Why this was said, I have no idea. Snarky replies like this are unnecessary. If you we're sitting with a bunch of guy's having a beer, my guess is, it wouldn't be said.

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 10:53:37 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
IMO RJ is gonna be the rookie that see's the most regular season action. He has a good basketball head on his shoulders. In a few years he'll be a nice player...or more.

Young on the other hand, just always looks uncomfortable on the floor. He needs a solid year in Maine, and then a final good look on the Celtic roster.

I definitely disagree with you on most of this. Injuries and personnel changes aside, Rozier has the most obvious path of any rookie. Rozier's ability to play ball pressure defense right away makes him deployable in an NBA game. None of the other rookies have a tool that's NBA-ready-- particularly Hunter, a great shooter that will have to learn the devastatingly difficult skill of working within the offensive scheme, getting open, and getting his shot off.

Phil Pressey had some decent, largely garbage time, minutes last year as the third point guard and I think we can expect at least that from Rozier.

It hasn't shown yet, but Young is much closer on both sides of the floor than Hunter. Hunter was brilliant playing summer league breakdown-ball, and his improvisational flair is certainly a credit to him, but Young is in year 2 of his training to become an NBA sniper. He shot the ball brilliantly in D-league and has nothing else to prove there. He'll be with the Celtics this year, either playing or sitting on the end of the bench. Hunter will be in the D-league.

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 11:32:00 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
Young is just that, young. I'd like to see him get another year in Maine and see how he looks next year. No sense cutting him and I don't see him having much trade value.
I thought RJ played well in his first game. his passing and defense were better than I expected.
I could see him getting some playing time this year.

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 12:05:19 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff

Has there ever been a 1st rounder who got stashed in d-league for two years and later became an above-average NBA player?

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 12:18:15 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Has there ever been a 1st rounder who got stashed in d-league for two years and later became an above-average NBA player?

Probably not a fair question given that the D-League is used now far more than it was in the past.

I think a better question is if there are other first round wings who have entered the league at a very young age (i.e. 18ish), done nothing for their first season or two in the league, and then turned into quality NBA players.

As for that question, the first that comes to mind is C.J. Miles.  He entered the league at age 18, didn't show signs of being an NBA player until his third season, and didn't average more than 11.5 minutes per game until his 4th season.  He's been a solid rotation shooter since then.

I imagine there are other examples.

As for guys who do nothing in their first year or two and then turn into an All-Star?  I don't know of any, but I imagine there's at least one example.

Dorell Wright is another -- came into the league at age 19 and didn't do much his first few years, then blossomed into a quality role player, though he seems to have peaked a couple years ago.

John Salmon and Bobby Simmons both did very little in the league their first few years before blowing up as starters for a few seasons.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 12:35:59 PM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 12:28:28 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff

Probably not a fair question given that the D-League is used now far more than it was in the past.

I think a better question is if there are other first round wings who have entered the league at a very young age (i.e. 18ish), done nothing for their first season or two in the league, and then turned into quality NBA players.

As for that question, the first that comes to mind is C.J. Miles.  He entered the league at age 18, didn't show signs of being an NBA player until his third season, and didn't average more than 11.5 minutes per game until his 4th season.  He's been a solid rotation shooter since then.

I imagine there are other examples.

As for guys who do nothing in their first year or two and then turn into an All-Star?  I don't know of any, but I imagine there's at least one example.

This is a good point. The D-league is a lot more than it used to be.

Whiteside is the one dude who might be on the cusp of doing this, but he was up and down a ton- given a lot of tries at the NBA level.

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 12:39:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Some teams are starting to show a willingness to have their rookies do a "red shirt" year of sorts in the D-League.  Doesn't mean those guys don't end up becoming useful role players.

Our own Avery Bradley did very little his first season and was in the D-League a lot.  Houston has had some success giving guys development time in the D-League.  Donatas Motiejunas was down there a lot his first couple of seasons in the league and last year was a key role player for the Rockets.  Clint Capela was in the D-League all last season, basically, before helping the team in the playoffs.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 12:57:38 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Yeah

Young still an't ready for prime time.   Not for at least 1-2 more years .

RJ ,  hi motor ,  coach son IQ ,  team player and all around good defender and above average passer .....is going to get the minutes .   RJ looks poised as any rookie I've seen this year .  He is solid third string man and pushing for second string minutes by mid year.

I d like to see Crowder and Hunter get the minutes and ET disappear into the sunset .

That might allow Young time to succeed .   

ET ...is screwing g up the rotation .....with his must have ball in hands script .   Dribbling and turning the ball over ..... momentum killer .....